MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Please post about using Ableton’s CV Tools with Silent Way!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Please post about using Ableton’s CV Tools with Silent Way!
tytytytyty
Pretty please?
jzwoopwoop
You don't use CV Tools with Silent Way, you use it in place of SW.

I was never a SW user myself, always used CV Toolkit instead. As an ableton user who also relies on ES-3/ES-6 to interface my modular with ableton, CV Tools have rendered CV Toolkit practically useless. It works fantastically.
lauprellim
jzwoopwoop wrote:

That’s also how I understand it. However I might add this — I have not been able to find much good documentation for the Ableton CV tools. I also find that they frequently crash Ableton, but they are of course in beta.

I hope these problems are fixed before the release goes prime time!

Because I was having so much fun with the Ableton tools, I bought an ES3 to go along with the ES8 and ES6. Expert Sleepers has really impressed me with their build quality, as well as their quick & helpful answers on the forum here.
tytytytyty
jzwoopwoop wrote:

Hi, jzwoopwoop. I was hoping that'd be the case, but then it occurred to me that Silent Way addresses outputs of daisy-chained modules (e.g. ES-5 and ESX-8MD in my case) by way of Gates 1/2, Gates 2/4, etc... and I don't see how you'd tap into those outputs with CV Tools. If you've figured out how, that's the info I'm hoping folks will post here.

I messaged Expert Sleepers (os?) about this last night and heard back that "If you can get a signal out, you can certainly process it with Silent Way." And "I've suggested to Ableton that they should natively support the ES-5. Maybe if enough customers asked for it they might actually do it."

So reading between the lines, my take is that you can use CV Tools to address the outputs that it understands. So far it's proving easy enough to send signals to the ES-3, for example. But if you want to use CV Tools with modules that are daisy-chained from the ES-3, then it seems you'd still have to use Silent Way...

But again, if there's any easier way, I'd love to know how!
tytytytyty
lauprellim wrote:
I have not been able to find much good documentation for the Ableton CV tools. I also find that they frequently crash Ableton, but they are of course in beta.

No longer beta, my friend!

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/control-your-modular-with-live-10-suit e/

The built-in lesson reading that comes with CV Tools is pretty informative, though it doesn't dive very deep.
jzwoopwoop
tytytytyty wrote:
jzwoopwoop wrote:

Hi, jzwoopwoop. I was hoping that'd be the case, but then it occurred to me that Silent Way addresses outputs of daisy-chained modules (e.g. ES-5 and ESX-8MD in my case) by way of Gates 1/2, Gates 2/4, etc... and I don't see how you'd tap into those outputs with CV Tools. If you've figured out how, that's the info I'm hoping folks will post here.

I messaged Expert Sleepers (os?) about this last night and heard back that "If you can get a signal out, you can certainly process it with Silent Way." And "I've suggested to Ableton that they should natively support the ES-5. Maybe if enough customers asked for it they might actually do it."

So reading between the lines, my take is that you can use CV Tools to address the outputs that it understands. So far it's proving easy enough to send signals to the ES-3, for example. But if you want to use CV Tools with modules that are daisy-chained from the ES-3, then it seems you'd still have to use Silent Way...

But again, if there's any easier way, I'd love to know how!

Ahh, now I get why you're having issues. Generally, it helps to provide, yknow, ANY kind of details, which was very much missing from your first post...

In any case, sounds like you've come across a missing aspect of CV Tools for more advanced Expert Sleepers hardware setups. My setup is more straightforward than that as my ES-3 and ES-6 just occupy the ADAT out & in channels of my soundcard. So for me, yes, CV Tools completely replaces Silent Way. If you rely on SW for "exposing" additional channels from Expert Sleeper expansion modules, then I don't think CV Tools yet supports that directly. Os indeed would be the resource to turn to for more info.

And again, going forward, please be sure to include those very relevant details in your posts when seeking to get info/feedback/insight from posters. Otherwise there's just not much to go on!
tytytytyty
Yeah, I made an assumption that many of us here have some flavor of daisy-chained ES devices, and that ya'll would know why I was asking. But fair enough!

My original request stands: If others have done some work to get CV Tools talking to their daisy-chained ES devices and/or Silent Way itself, I'd love to hear what you've found. For example, I know that some Silent Way plug-ins accept input, and as os said, "If you can get the signal out, you can certainly process it with Silent Way."

Armed with that encouragement, I experimented a bit last night with Silent Way's and CV Tools' LFO tool, and I figured out a couple things:

Sending CV LFO's outputs to SW LFO:

CV LFO can be sent to another track, such as SW LFO, where the two LFOs can be combined. Note that because CV LFO is a mono plug-in, it will only appear as an input in SW LFO’s left channel.

Sending SW LFO's output to CV LFO:

As with SW LFO, CV LFO accepts inputs as well, but that has to be set up at the track’s input (whereas SW LFO is always listening, so it's enough to send another device to the track that SW LFO is on, and it'll respond). And interestingly, unlike setting up the outputs for a standalone instance of CV LFO (where the output is set in the plug-in), when routing into CV LFO its output must also be set at the track output, and the input monitored.

To clarify that:
    * Standalone instance: you must set CV LFO's output in the plug-in; you can set the output at the track as well, but you don’t need to.
    * Routing a signal into CV LFO: you must set CV LFO's input at the track and monitor the input; you must set the output in the plug-in; you must also set the output at the track.

(The latter observation risks getting off-topic for this sub-forum, but I thought it might be useful to others in this context. It'd be an easy thing to miss, and one might conclude that CV Tools doesn't accept input.)

Anyway.... this is the kind of anecdotal stuff I'm hoping others will share. This example doesn't delve into daisy-chained devices, but it relates since it gets into signal routing, which continues to be (for me) hard to remember when I come back to SW after a while.
lauprellim
tytytytyty wrote:

No longer beta, my friend!

Thanks for the info! I saw that too, but assumed it was just another plug for the betas.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1