MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

When did you realize you were a modular aficionado?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author When did you realize you were a modular aficionado?
3hands
For me, it was being able to spell Doepfer without needing to look it up before I hit post.

What made you feel like you belonged in the community?
Chopper
When I pm'd for Maths.
cptnal
Perpetual noob. This is fun!
lisa
When I’d read about every readily available module perhaps? smile

No, I’m not really a modular aficionado. They are just tools to me and I like many other tools too.
Pelsea
1968, some time in the spring. The University of Iowa installed some Moog modules in the electronic music lab and brought them out for a concert. I was an undergrad, not allowed to use the studio, but some friendly TAs were happy to show me around. I had to write a paper for advanced music theory, so i designed a synthesizer. The teacher-- Rob Schallenberg-- was not impressed and gave me a B.
yaongi~
When I saw a picture of a wall of analogue systems modules about twenty years ago. Which is still on their website.

That's when I felt I belonged but I didn't buy modules until this year, so maybe I'm not yet an aficionado.
Snuggs
3hands wrote:
For me, it was being able to spell Doepfer without needing to look it up before I hit post.

What made you feel like you belonged in the community?

Haha definitely a rite of passage. I still have a hell of a time spelling Doepfer so I'm not quite there yet.
Parnelli
As the definition of aficionado is someone who is both knowledgeable and enthusiastic about a subject I'd have to consider myself just a nado, not being knowledgeable enough to be aficio and all... but it all began one day while I was stoned wandering through a cave filled with small furry animals gathered together and grooving...

I was enraptured. we're not worthy
Dave Peck
I first heard Carlos' Switched On Bach around 1969 or 1970 when I was nine or ten and got fascinated with the sounds and the idea of how new sounds could be made.

Then in 1972 at the age of 12 I got my hands on an Arp 2600 for several months (I didn't own it) and went through the entire owner's manual trying everything it was explaining and the whole process of analog synthesis just clicked. Right around the same time I started seeing pictures of huge modulars like Emerson's Moog and Townshend's Arp 2500 and started to realize the vast potential of the process of using synthesizers to make new sounds and new types of music. I bought my first synth soon after that at the age of 13 in 1973.
jkjelec
Brain Salad Surgery! And then, 25 years later I could afford one.
mookmoof
When I started telling it "goodnight"
Joe.
I can draw Doepfer modules from memory.
jorg
Pelsea wrote:

1968, when Switched On Bach came out. I was a little kid, and it changed my life forever.
naught101
Snuggs wrote:
3hands wrote:

Haha definitely a rite of passage. I still have a hell of a time spelling Doepfer so I'm not quite there yet.

Surely the real turning point is when you learn how to pronounce Cwejman?
Reese P. Dubin
Even after 20 years of synth noodling, going all the way back to hyperreal (before pictures of synths on the internet) I didnt feel like a real head until I sold my Synton Fenix, just cuz I felt like it at the moment six years ago. Having always wondered what it was like to part with a unit with a legendary reputation, I found out that it is great and someone else gets to enjoy it.
jorg
Parnelli wrote:
...I was stoned wandering through a cave filled with small furry animals gathered together and grooving... we're not worthy

Are you a Pict?
powertran
When I put two oscillators through an XOR gate.
Parnelli
jorg wrote:
Parnelli wrote:
...I was stoned wandering through a cave filled with small furry animals gathered together and grooving... we're not worthy

Are you a Pict?

Negative, but I've been working on the accent for years now!

I canna doit!
Blairio
When I bought my first 'source of uncertainty' set (Doepfer A-149-1 and A149-2), and figured out how to use them.

Still have them today.
Blairio
Parnelli wrote:
jorg wrote:
Parnelli wrote:

Are you a Pict?

I canna doit!

"Ah cannae dae-it!"

Blair (a pict)
MindMachine
Still trying.
InsectInPixel
Probably when this happened
Parnelli
Blairio wrote:
Parnelli wrote:
jorg wrote:
Parnelli wrote:

Are you a Pict?

I canna doit!

"Ah cannae dae-it!"

Blair (a pict)

Thanks, I'll work on it! thumbs up
yellowecho
I asked Dan Green of 4MS a question about polyrhythms at a workshop once... it's been downhill ever since.
zengomi
For me, the gelling occurred with the first thing I made with my first purchase, a 2014 Pittsburgh Modular set of basic modules in a 90HP case.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2