WARNING for serge seller on reverb.

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

drwiener
Common Wiggler

WARNING for serge seller on reverb.

Post by drwiener » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 am

sorry if this is the wrong category, but i wanted to let my fellow sergers know what's up and not get ripped like i did

I just want to post a HUGE WARNING here about this seller on reverb and the tech who serviced it. https://reverb.com/item/22916909-serge- ... ete-system ---> I bought a vintage panel for a high price that was "expertly serviced" from the same seller that was also serviced by the same tech, and every pot was scratchy, and the panel didn't even function (the right output of the stereo mixer didn't work). when i spoke to the tech he mentioned he also "modded" the panel, and it wasn't listed as modded, but the mods provided no added function, and were done without any knowledge. (he turned the 3,5 inputs into outputs, and the master volume still effected each output volume of the individual outs ,while making a stereo mixer a mono mixer. please note i paid a high price for this panel because they said it was checked by a tech superstar, and it was working perfect . They don't offer any help except to spray the pots with cleaner " because " all old serges have scratchy pots. " Just a warning to my fellow sergers who might know anyone who would buy this, not to get ripped off as I did.

and for reference here is the panel i bought:
https://reverb.com/item/23152848-super- ... WIe_OgiXpA
Last edited by drwiener on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

musicaespressiva
Common Wiggler

Post by musicaespressiva » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:39 am

good to know, sorry to hear your experience

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Unfortunate circumstances but it looks like an interesting bit of history. Hope you can get it back to normal functioning without too much trouble.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:42 pm

The Tech is Dean Batute its the guy that did the Canadian 259 clones and also Reverse Engineered all the Serge schematics for Ken Stone 'secret site'

He did that custom Serge TKB,and his nick here is KyronMusic:

(He also have a KyronMusic repairshop website)

viewtopic.php?p=3053365&highlight=#3053365

I also PM'd him here asking for help to get somehow that TKB i pre-paid a deposit of $1500 (paid not to him but his friend) for (when he worked together with another guy) that i never received but my PM's where totally ignored and after my PM's he quickly faded out of the thread..so that says enough!

dksynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dksynth » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:07 pm

tobb wrote:The Tech is Dean Batute its the guy that did the Canadian 259 clones and also Reverse Engineered all the Serge schematics for Ken Stone 'secret site'

He did that custom Serge TKB,and his nick here is KyronMusic:

(He also have a KyronMusic repairshop website)

viewtopic.php?p=3053365&highlight=#3053365

I also PM'd him here asking for help to get somehow that TKB i pre-paid a deposit of $1500 (paid not to him but his friend) for (when he worked together with another guy) that i never received but my PM's where totally ignored and after my PM's he quickly faded out of the thread..so that says enough!
Not good. Was this deposit back when they were being made or recently? Story is that that friend split with the money or something along those lines.... back when the 259 was happening

analoglsd
Veteran Wiggler

Re: WARNING for serge seller on reverb.

Post by analoglsd » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:12 pm

drwiener wrote:i wanted to let my fellow sergers know what's up and not get ripped like i did
Don't forget to let the community of Reverb buyers know as well by leaving feedback for the transaction there.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:47 am

dksynth wrote: Not good. Was this deposit back when they were being made or recently? Story is that that friend split with the money or something along those lines.... back when the 259 was happening
Before they where ready,at that time there was no split.

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:24 pm

Dunno man, before I shell out that kinda cash I'll fly my ass to wherever that thing is and play it IN PERSON.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:33 pm

I was sorely tempted by that mixer panel. I’m sorry it didn’t work out.

Kolgo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kolgo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:43 pm

===Moderator Edit===

Kolgo has gone back and edited his posts in order to paint a better picture of himself.
Please see quotations below.
===

I made some mistakes and I'm sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused.

All these panels are backed by a 7 day no questions asked return policy.
Last edited by Kolgo on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drwiener
Common Wiggler

Post by drwiener » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:05 pm

nice to hear from you kolgo! you blocked me on reverb and didn't respond, nor does dean when i write an intelligent message.
Kolgo wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:43 pm
Hey folks, I am that seller on Reverb and feel the need to let you all know that this transaction has been a nightmare. I've sold a ton of amazing pieces to people locally (Toronto) as well as on Reverb and have had only amazing reviews. What happened, in this case,
drwiener bought the panel from me but waited almost 6 weeks to test it, when he finally did and let me know the problems he was facing I proceeded to try and help him troubleshoot. I put him in touch with Dean who had worked on the panel.
Unfortunately, that did not go well and drwiener was rude and hung up. I don't know Dean personally but have heard he does great work. I'm sorry to hear about the poor transaction that was shared in this thread...that sucks and is not something I want to be associated with.
Let's start with the auction description:
"Description
Selling for quick sale
everything has been checked by Synth repair super star Dean Batute of I dream of wires"

I bought a blippo box from the same seller, and i got it, and it worked fine, so I didn't rush to check this thing.... that plus I was assured it was checked by a synth superstart... I trust people. So when i finally tried the panel, I noticed it was not working properly, so I politely contacted the seller, and he refered me to dean to help....

funny thing when I called dean, he told me that he hadn't seen this panel in years! 4 or 5 at least, he actually never checked it out, he only modifed!?!? it back then. I am asking about it, because all the pots were all scratchy and he said I should spray contact cleaner in the pots... he was also quite condescending... and said things like "I don't know if you have every played a vintage synthesizer before, but they all have scratch pots..... " about the mods --> they wern't mentioned in the ad-- he turned the 3,5mm inputs into outputs?! to make an output on each channel, but the master volume knob still changed the volume of all the individual channels... huh? I said hey dean, it only works in mono, the right side doesn't work, what did you do? he didn't remember really... then we got back to the pots and condescending attitude.
Kolgo wrote:
Here is why I could not take the panel back:
1. It was 6 weeks past the date it was received
2. The panel was opened and tampered with
3. The buyer was very rude and made this whole thing a real challenge. (I would have happily done more if this wasn't the case)
I didn't ask for the panel back. I asked for some money back, or some docmentation about the mods, or at least the seller to admit that the description wasn't honest, and he hadn't checked the panel out himself. the seller told me that he just took the guys word for it?!?

For me this has been a nightmare. I spent alot of money for an original piece that was heavily modified into a state of non functioning. I did not tamper with it, I opened it and sent the seller photos.
Kolgo wrote:

I hope this sheds some light on the situation. I want you to know that I am a reasonable person and am only working to help get these amazing instruments into the right hands.

I am currently posting 6 more interesting panels so go take a look and I would be happy to work with you.
good luck with those future sales... have you checked any of the panels out yourself?
I look forward to hearing from you and resolving this situation.

Kolgo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kolgo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:30 pm

I'm trying my best and promise reasonable solutions if there are problems with the items I sell.

I am not an expert and cannot test these Items myself though I do trust the owner of these synths and take his word when he tells me of their condition.

Reverb has a good return policy so If you receive an item and it's not as described etc.you can return within 7 days.
If anyone has any issue with something I sell I am happy to work with you.
Last edited by Kolgo on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drwiener
Common Wiggler

Post by drwiener » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:41 pm

:party: replied in line below.
Last edited by drwiener on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drwiener
Common Wiggler

Post by drwiener » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:53 pm

Kolgo wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:30 pm
Out of hundreds of sales, this was the only issue to ever arise. Unfortunately, you can't please everyone. I did not take this situation lightly...I talked with Reverb and many friends in retail and everyone agreed with the final decision regarding this case. I'm trying my best and promise reasonable solutions if there are problems with the items I sell.
what was the final decision? that it was too late because of reverbs 7 day policy? did you tell them you bent the truth or dare i say lied to get as much money out of the item as possible?
Kolgo wrote:
I am not an expert and cannot test these Items myself though I do trust the owner of these synths and take his word when he tells me of their condition.
that's great for you, so we are relying on you trusting the owner that a 3rd party checked them?
Kolgo wrote:
Reverb has a good return policy so If you receive an item and it's not as described etc.you can return within 7 days.
If anyone has any issue with something I sell I am happy to work with you.
thanks to you, i now check EVERYTHING RIGHT AWAY. That's all I can thank you for!

Kolgo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kolgo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:23 pm

Again, I'm sorry

===Moderator Edit===

Kolgo has gone back and edited his posts in order to paint a better picture of himself.
===
Last edited by Kolgo on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drwiener
Common Wiggler

Post by drwiener » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Kolgo wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:23 pm
I've already answered all your questions.
no you didn't. you gave some answers, generally walking around my questions.
Kolgo wrote:
I'm glad I found this post so I could shed some light on the situation.

It's a two-way street - how do I keep from getting screwed? ... you're asking me to send you a refund after 6 wks of having the panel and after opening it up. I was willing to have you ship it back before you were rude and lost my trust.
?!? how can I screw you. I have never had a case where someone sold me something that they didn't try themselves... and used me saying it is broken and not as described as a way to call me rude.

you did not offer to take back the panel. you said it was to late. I can copy and paste the reverb dialogue in hear if you want.
Kolgo wrote:
Anyway, I hope the people in this thread can get a better idea of the whole picture. I have some awesome stuff and while it's always a risk buying and selling online I hope you know that I will try and make things right if it's possible. I mean you have 7 days... plug it in and check it out if it's not right then send it back. The only risk is you may get a good deal on a rare panel.
hey guys buy his stuff! he is an awesome guy to deal with! he has no idea how to use any of it and doesn't know how to test it, and trusts some random dude he gets the stuff from! sounds great right ;)

drwiener
Common Wiggler

Post by drwiener » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:38 pm

analoglsd wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:12 pm
drwiener wrote:i wanted to let my fellow sergers know what's up and not get ripped like i did
Don't forget to let the community of Reverb buyers know as well by leaving feedback for the transaction there.
it was too late, after the 7 days... hence this is the only way I could tell anyone about it.

srfnsmy
Common Wiggler

Post by srfnsmy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:30 pm

Looks like they posted 10 more panels on Reverb just 5 hours ago!

NeolithicElectrophones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:25 pm

All of them are sold as described, but he neglects to say that they are untested which is definitely scummy behavior. Also really shady regarding the lack of description on these listings, the way he spoke here doesn't inspire confidence in his communication if you were to message about it... just really surprised that anyone would buy from there.

Sorry you had to deal with this, looks like a really cool panel, hoping it gets worked out.

cycad73

Post by cycad73 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:26 pm

Kolgo wrote:
Then you have no business to sell it (unless "for parts or not working").

Kolgo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kolgo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:10 am

I'm not sure what to do. There is no good solution

===Moderator Edit===

===
Last edited by Kolgo on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

cycad73

Post by cycad73 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:27 am

No. you should refund drwiener and accept the panel back.
relist it after testing it, with the problems and modifications honestly described.

rpc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpc » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 am

cycad73 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:27 am
No. you should refund drwiener and accept the panel back.
relist it after testing it, with the problems and modifications honestly described.
Agreed.

On another note, I don’t believe Dean should be vilified in this situation.

First off, I have nothing to do with this situation other than Dean being my synth tech for 25 years and also reading this thread on MW, and being shocked to read on MW someone posting negatively about him, and calling him up. I don’t know the original owner of the panel or the seller. All I know is that Dean has always been extremely professional, polite and trustworthy, and does excellent work. I called-up Dean when I read the original posting a number of months back.

It’s my understanding from Dean that the person whom he trusted to help him assemble the 259s years ago started selling behind his back privately (as stated above) and then disappearing with the modules and parts. It sounded like Dean got really screwed by this person. I feel bad for anyone who got screwed by that person as well.

In regards to this situation, it’s my understanding that he worked on the panel many years ago to do some requested custom mods from the owner of the panel, which I understand did not include a request to replace the pots. I think he was doing the owner of the panel a favour in offering to help troubleshoot over the phone any issues with the buyer, but unfortunately that conversation went downhill. I imagine Dean regrets offering to help. Tense situation, and I would be livid if I were in the same situation as Dr. Wiener buying a high priced rare item that was not as described. It’s unfortunate the conversation between Dean and Dr. Wiener went poorly, as I have had excellent communications and transactions with both Dean and Dr. Wiener.

Anyways, this whole thing sucks. When I spoke with Dean about this it seemed to be causing him a lot of stress and he was not ready to engage online about this. I think it would help if he was able to, but I imagine he already regrets getting involved with this situation to begin with.

Anyways, hopefully there aren’t too many inaccuracies in what I wrote above, but I thought I’d present another viewpoint/piece of the puzzle. I hate people getting ripped-off, and hope that the seller will do the morally right thing.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:16 am

The one thing that I don’t understand is how the seller can’t test the panels. I don’t mean in the way a tech would but as an end user.
Does this DUSG cycle when there is a shorting bar pushed in? Do all of the oscillator outputs work? Etc.
I think from a common sense perspective, at a minimum, anyone selling gear should know whether it works or not generally.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:21 am

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:25 pm
All of them are sold as described, but he neglects to say that they are untested which is definitely scummy behavior. Also really shady regarding the lack of description on these listings, the way he spoke here doesn't inspire confidence in his communication if you were to message about it... just really surprised that anyone would buy from there.
Bought an Animate panel from the seller a while ago. My experience was not as bad, but despite claims on the listing, it was not working as described. I posted a different thread about it, but the short version is I ended up having to replace a dead SAD1024 on the WAD.

Was considering buying one of the other panels, but given my experience, and the problems others have had, I'm definitely rethinking that.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”