MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pittsburgh Move 104 weird behaviour
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Pittsburgh Move 104 weird behaviour
Biom
Here's the clean recording of my noise output of the Turing Machine. Is it completely normal for the module or is there a way to calibrate the noise somehow (to get rid of this distortion/additional tones)? Also noticed the changes in harmonics (distortion) while tweaking the LOCK knob.

Mine is v1 hybrid panel, beautifully built by Grayscale. Everything works fantastic, except for the noise.

Thank you in advance, guys, as always!

EDIT: So I reached Tom. He has no clue either sad banana
Biom
Took the time to test the modules in my case (Pittsburgh Move 104) and it turned out to be the case problem (changed the thread subject) - once I have both a VCO and Turing Machine powered by the case, I get this background hum out of the NOISE output of my Turing module.
Tried the same combination in my Doepfer case on the same row and everything is perfect.

Any ideas what can generate the hum?
Also, is it safe for my modules to be powered by Pittsburgh, having these issues?
Parnelli
I have a Move 208 case, it has the rev 5 power supply if I remember correctly, and I've never had any problems with it in the 2 1/2 years I've had it.

Now what I have noticed is that I have to be careful where I put digital modules in relation to mixing and output modules, as one day I installed my Disting mk4 right beside my Pittsburgh Outs and I had a bunch of noise. In fact I was just about sick because I thought I had fried something, but my senses returned and I decided to move the Disting to the other side of the rack away from the mixing and output section and the noise went away, it just didn't like being in that particular spot I guess, food for thought.
Biom
Seems like I'm having similar "digital-analog" issue. Never had problems for 3-4 years of use either.
I also tried all possible module combinations in my case, but it didn't help.

I'm also worried if it's even safe to use this kind of power, as the modules are much more expensive, than the power itself. Is it possible to create any damage this way?

It's a shame, that I can't use certain features of my modules just because of this case, which I planned to use for a bit longer than 3-4 years, while the doepfer one I use much much longer.
hawkfuzz
Out of all the cases I've seen people have issues with, this one has to be the highest on the list.
Biom
Finally sold the case to a local wiggler, who already had same issues with these cases. First thing he did was to throw away the crappy Pittsburgh power (which they tested and were blown away by how weird it is) and install something more serious.

Looking at their bigger cases I notice they improved the power, but do not recommend buying the 104 version, which turned to be a joke.
EATyourGUITAR
you never mentioned what digital VCO you had that was putting noise into the system. it is really a combination of a noisy module and a lame power supply + distribution. you can have a noisy module in a decent power supply with decent distribution. you just can't have both.
JES
I have an older Move 104 and wound up replacing the power supply. Much better now.
Whelm
$450 is a lot of money to spend on a wooden box, which is what you're doing if you have to replace the power supply.

I also owned one of these as my first case for maybe 6 weeks. It's remarkable they still sell them.
JES
Whelm wrote:
$450 is a lot of money to spend on a wooden box, which is what you're doing if you have to replace the power supply.

I also owned one of these as my first case for maybe 6 weeks. It's remarkable they still sell them.

Agreed, but I also got some sliding nuts and rails, too.
Biom
Whelm wrote:

Exactly! Had to sell it for $200 just for the wooden box.

@EATyourGUITAR: no noisy modules here. It's the power that somehow creates the hum/noise. You'll never guess what combination that is. Mine is Turing machine + analog vco. A guy who bought the case had a similar issue with Pittsburgh phaser + smth else (can't remember). Changing the power supply costed him only $90. Not bad for a decent good looking deep case ready to travel with, but not good for buying it new as I did.
Parnelli
But it's a very nicely made wooden box!

Mine is empty now, as I installed the guts in another rack, but I cannot seem to part with it. Hell I might want to put it back together one day for a 6U 104hp travel case!

For the time being it houses various modular parts.

In a really nice wooden box..... Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1