MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Q155 Curver from Dotcom.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Q155 Curver from Dotcom.
Synth Con Meo
https://www.synthesizers.com/q155.html

Thoughts?
josaka
looks pretty good.. lot of features..
be nice to see a video of them being used in sequence..
not sure I will get one..

Flareless
Synth Con Meo wrote:
https://www.synthesizers.com/q155.html

Thoughts?

I ordered one! Looks kinda cool.
ba1
That's a lot of bang for 1hp! Doesn't look too cramped either.
Jari Jokinen
The inverter inverts only when control voltage is applied. Could be more convenient the other way round. Perhaps with a jumper.
sduck
Jari Jokinen wrote:
The inverter inverts only when control voltage is applied. Could be more convenient the other way round. Perhaps with a jumper.

I was wondering about that also. It would be super easy to run a line from the positive voltage (perhaps with resistor in it) to the switching lug on the jack, provided that's not already in use. Then it would always be an inverter, unless you plugged something in.
Dave Peck
Modulating the curve of a complex audio signal (like a filter output), especially with an audio rate CV source, can yield some really cool and bizarre distortion effects. Nice!
Dave Peck
Jari Jokinen wrote:

Is that correct? Watch right around 6:00 when he moves the saw wave signal from the curver section to the inverter section. The 'up' saw becomes a 'down' saw as soon as it is patched into the inverter, before any CV is connected.
josaka
Dave Peck wrote:
Jari Jokinen wrote:

Is that correct? Watch right around 6:00 when he moves the saw wave signal from the curver section to the inverter section. The 'up' saw becomes a 'down' saw as soon as it is patched into the inverter, before any CV is connected.

from the datasheet 'LED indicates Inversion" ..

no sign of any jumpers.
ranix
Wiggler Flareless built me a CGS Slope Detector awhile back. One of the coolest things I did with it was splitting the pitch CV of my keyboard through a slew limiter and sending the result to the Slope Detector. The output of the Slope Detector is a signal that tells whether the note I'm playing now is higher or lower in pitch than the previous note. I can use it to alter modulation such that if I'm playing an ascending melody a certain modulation is applied, but if I'm playing a descending melody a different modulation is applied. It's fun.
Bob Borries
Hook a slow LFO to the curve CV in, insert an audio rate Sawtooth into the input and put the output to a wavetable Waveshaper VCO, like a Disting K3 algorithm, Mini-Wave or Piston Honda. You've got a wavetable that sounds like PWM!

Jari Jokinen
Dave Peck wrote:
Jari Jokinen wrote:

You are right. That seems a good feature to me. Apparently the led indicates inversion only when control voltage is used.
Jari Jokinen
I could use the Curver as a tracking generator for keyboard voltages...
Flareless
Jari Jokinen wrote:
I could use the Curver as a tracking generator for keyboard voltages...

I think it works in only one direction though. The CGS62 Slope Detector is more flexible in that respect.

I got mine for the Curver and of course, the extra VCA (I hear you can never have too many). The other two utility features are just gravy.
TimeRaveler
What do you mean by "tracking generator"? Haven't heard of that.
dslocum
I LOVE this. Why the F**K didn't I do this!???? Brilliant! (Damn it)
Voltage_Controller
I am happy roger has accepted the "single function per module" philosophy is dated. He is keeping his line relevant by updating his perspective. Kudos to roger!
Jari Jokinen
TimeRaveler wrote:
What do you mean by "tracking generator"? Haven't heard of that.

Oberheim Matrix synths have so called Tracking generators: "The tracking generator provides a mapping from a control source (e.g. key range on the keyboard, or volume pedal, or mod wheel) to a modified output, based on the user-defined settings of the generator."

Nothing special in case of the Curver. Just a quick way to trim a control voltage. For example, if you would want unlinear keyboard control over filter frequency.
kindredlost
Bob Borries wrote:
Hook a slow LFO to the curve CV in, insert an audio rate Sawtooth into the input and put the output to a wavetable Waveshaper VCO, like a Disting K3 algorithm, Mini-Wave or Piston Honda. You've got a wavetable that sounds like PWM!

Brilliant patch idea!
diophantine
An interesting module from Roger - some neat things in there!

I haven't actually looked closely at the "curver" part, but it looks pretty interesting, particularly for use on CVs, though the wavetable example above is also intriguing...

An extra VCA is, of course, always welcome!

Kinda wish that the functionality of the inverter & slope detector had been switched. In my Synthasystem I have a 'Selective Inverter' which is basically a CV processor/mixer + gate-able inversion. I rarely use it for the gate-able inversion. But having a slope detector with the rise/steady/fall outputs like the CGS would have been really awesome!

It also doesn't feel as compressed as some of his other recent offerings... just feels like a CV toolbox, which is a good thing.
Synth Con Meo
Well I broke down and also pre-ordered it. I needed to get a couple things from Dotcom for one of my cabinets anyway so I decided to piggyback buying this with the order.
TimeRaveler
Hmmm...right on the fence about this one - anyone have any more innovative ideas for how to use the curver or slope detector especially? I WANT TO BELIEVE.
josaka
TimeRaveler wrote:
Hmmm...right on the fence about this one - anyone have any more innovative ideas for how to use the curver or slope detector especially? I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Im with you.. why in the video did he not link any of the sections to show off the whole module.?. also.. while i'm here.. these pics of waves.. I dont really care.. I need to hear stuff.. not see it.. smile
Mirolab
josaka wrote:

.. these pics of waves.. I dont really care.. I need to hear stuff.. not see it.. smile

I like seeing the wavforms!.... It helps me understand what is going on with the signal processing. Even if you don't find it helpful, why would you discourage providing us MORE information?
However, I do find the slow updating LCD scopes frustrating. I prefer seeing waves on my CRT scope in realtime. I'd like to find an inexpensive solid state scope that has a good realtime response.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1