MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Does this product exist? (type of mixer)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Does this product exist? (type of mixer)
VM
Probably a really stupid question based on weirdly situational requirement, but...

I'm wondering if anything very similar to this exists - it's a crude mixer that takes stereo and mono patch cable inputs, routes them through a level control, and outputs to one TRS output jack per 'voice', e.g. 8 in 8 out patch to TRS interface.

As close as possible would be appreciated. I might build one if it doesn't exist.
The Grump
Yes, a K-Mix will do this with ease.
JohnLRice
Take a look at some of the offerings from Hinton Instruments since Graham typically has balanced outputs on his mixers and trimmers/atttenuators. He can also do custom versions of his modules.
http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/modular/

His trimmer would be perfect for your mono sources I think? (you can get one with 1/4" TRS output jacks) I'm guessing but I bet Graham might be able to make you a custom version that replaces the Invert switches with half as many unity gain switches that can mix adjacent input pairs together for your stereo sources? So based on your diagram you might need one normal Trimmer and one custom unity gain pair Trimmer?
http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/modular/trimmer/
Just me
Rane Swiss Army mixer if you can find one.
Dave Peck
if you don't need Euro format there are plenty of line mixers that do exactly what you are looking for.
PrimateSynthesis
Yes, one Rane SM26S can buffer six inputs. There are plenty of devices that accept balanced TRS inputs, if the OP is calling them "stereo" plugs. However, I don't know of anything that takes stereo line inputs, if the OP means left and right on the same jack.

If the OP means accepting both TS and TRS mono inputs, then any board with at least 8 channels with TRS balanced direct outs (that are either post fader or post trim) would work.
JohnLRice
Seems like the Hinton Trimmer plus the new Noise Engineering Quantus Pax to handle combining the stereo channels into mono would get the OP most of the way there?
https://www.noiseengineering.us/shop/quantus-pax

Then take the balanced outputs of the trimmer into any two balanced line mixers or a 4 buss mixing desk to combine as needed?

But without a better description from the OP as to exactly where the signals are coming from, where they are going, and how they are being used, we are all just having fun guessing. spinning
VM
Thanks for the replies so far.

JohnLRice wrote:
Take a look at some of the offerings from Hinton Instruments since Graham typically has balanced outputs on his mixers and trimmers/atttenuators. He can also do custom versions of his modules.
http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/modular/

This gets me pretty close to what i'm after:

Only:
-Prefer desktop instead of rackmount
-Want a balanced TRS out dedicated to each eurorack L/R input pair and to each mono in
-Don't need polarity switches or TRS inputs

Quote:
But without a better description from the OP as to exactly where the signals are coming from, where they are going, and how they are being used, we are all just having fun guessing

Picture this. You've got a live jam session with 3 people who each have a small eurorack skiff, and you want to multitrack record the session using your audio interface that takes up to 8 TRS inputs. Each "voice" coming in to this mixer is going to be sent to it's own input in the interface. The ultimate goal is to have 8 recorded tracks in a DAW from a live performance where each track represents an isolated, unblended signal path from someone's skiff.

Maybe this is too much of an edge-case, or there is a better way to achieve the above goal? Would like to hear how other people would approach this situation. At least I know I might be able to request a custom build from Hinton if it comes to that.
JohnLRice
VM wrote:
Picture this. You've got a live jam session with 3 people who each have a small eurorack skiff, and you want to multitrack record the session using your audio interface that takes up to 8 TRS inputs. Each "voice" coming in to this mixer is going to be sent to it's own input in the interface. The ultimate goal is to have 8 recorded tracks in a DAW from a live performance where each track represents an isolated, unblended signal path from someone's skiff.
Ahh, I see, well in that case I'd suggest two different approaches:

1) if you are only going to record mono tracks, I would put the burden of summing any left and right stereo signals on each performer, tell them you can only accept a mono send from each of them.

2) add to or replace your interface so that you can record more tracks at once, like 12 or 16 total, so that you can record any stereo signals as they are sent to you. Then mix any stereo tracks to mono in your DAW if need be.

Then, regardless of if you use scenario 1 or 2 above, just use direct boxes or a rack mount multi channel DI to convert the unbalanced signals to balanced. I'm assuming you have long cable runs to deal with between the performers and the recording rig?

Probably getting 3 stereo DI boxes would be best to place right by each performer, then run long XLR to TRS cabels back you your recording interface, or use an appropriate snake. High quality passive DI boxes seem to be favored by live sound folks, like the Radial Engineering ProD2:
https://www.radialeng.com/product/prod2

Or in your situation consider the Radial Duplex passive DI box since it has some unity mixing built in.
https://www.radialeng.com/product/jdi-duplex

There are tons of DI's around so figure a budget, quality you need, and features you want and shop around. thumbs up
Graham Hinton
VM wrote:

Maybe this is too much of an edge-case, or there is a better way to achieve the above goal?

There is nothing edge about this, but you need to define the problem and solution in terms of signals rather than gear.

Most half decent interfaces can accept balanced signals up to +22dBu level, if yours cannot then replace it instead of spending money on more gear to compensate for it. Eurorack cannot clip this as it has a theoretical maximum output level of +19dBu so you don't need attenuation or special outputs.
All you need is eight balanced cables with a 3.5mm plug on the synth end, cold wired to screen.

You do not need DI boxes as these output mic level signals requiring mic pre amps. If there is a ground problem requiring isolation then you need line isolation transformers with a 1:1 ratio.

If you have true stereo output, i.e. the stereo image has some meaning, then you need matched gain in the two channels. Don't put this through separate level controls.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1