MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY sequencers with trigger-per-step input like SH-101
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY sequencers with trigger-per-step input like SH-101
Jaytee
One of the most beloved features of the 101 sequencer is the trigger/gate input—each rising edge advances the sequencer by one step. I am curious about DIY CV sequencers (standalone, module, whatever) that have the same functionality.

Off the top of my head, I’m only aware of the Division 6 Business Card Sequencer (and its dual eurorack sibling) but surely there are others?
diophantine
Is this any different than an external clock input?

Most sequencers that I know have that feature... MFOS, Klee, Synthasystem, RYO, etc.
nicholasgreen
There are a couple eurorack modules that have this functionality. Off the top of my head, Mutable Yarns and Intellijel Scales. And I believe with a little patching you could use the Shakmat Bishops Miscellany this way as well. Also Arturias Keystep if you're ok with a non-module. This is my favorite and most used feature of the Keystep.

I would love to know if there's a DIY (especially 4u) solution that does that does this, with lots of flexible CV for scrambling up the sequence in different ways.
DozenCrows
A DIY sequencer in clock slave mode with an adjustable clock divider could do this - it may be possible with the Per|former: https://westlicht.github.io/performer/manual/#pages-clock
Jaytee
diophantine wrote:

Most sequencers that I know have that feature... MFOS, Klee, Synthasystem, RYO, etc.

seriously, i just don't get it I don’t really know modular projects very well, I’ve always stuck more to standalones. Do they all advance the sequencer one step per clock pulse?
Jaytee
nicholasgreen wrote:
There are a couple eurorack modules that have this functionality. Off the top of my head, Mutable Yarns and Intellijel Scales. And I believe with a little patching you could use the Shakmat Bishops Miscellany this way as well. Also Arturias Keystep if you're ok with a non-module. This is my favorite and most used feature of the Keystep.

I would love to know if there's a DIY (especially 4u) solution that does that does this, with lots of flexible CV for scrambling up the sequence in different ways.

I have a Keystep but its sync is set up for Sync24. Plus, I’m looking for DIY wink

I don’t think Yarns has a trigger input, although it imitates the 101 sequencer otherwise. I’ll check out the other two though.
diophantine
Jaytee wrote:
diophantine wrote:

seriously, i just don't get it I don’t really know modular projects very well, I’ve always stuck more to standalones. Do they all advance the sequencer one step per clock pulse?

I'm honestly a bit seriously, i just don't get it about the SH-101, as I've not touched one for over a dozen years, and it was to move it between a friend's studio & a radio station. hihi

So are you looking for something where you can program a sequence and then step through it one-step-per-key-press, or something different?

And, if so, how do you want to be able to program that sequence, via a keyboard, or with a knob-per-step?
Jaytee
diophantine wrote:
I'm honestly a bit seriously, i just don't get it about the SH-101, as I've not touched one for over a dozen years, and it was to move it between a friend's studio & a radio station. hihi

So are you looking for something where you can program a sequence and then step through it one-step-per-key-press, or something different?

And, if so, how do you want to be able to program that sequence, via a keyboard, or with a knob-per-step?

Basically, I want to be able to send triggers to a sequencer from a drum machine. I like the way that clocking a 101 in this way can get some interesting rhythms/melodies just by changing patterns on the drum machine.

I think I’d prefer something more like the 101 in terms of programming, where I can send note values from a keyboard (or other CV or MIDI source) and the number of steps is basically arbitrary, but I’m open to checking out just about anything.
oozitron
The MIDIBox sequencer (which is a 16 track pattern-based sequencer) has this ability. It uses MIDI notes as the "triggers", and those trigger notes can come from an external source, or from another track.

I made a batch of tutorials about the MBox sequencer; here's the one that demonstrates the "101-style" sequencing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHESaRhfULs

Drew
Luka
i know not exactly the same but what about a cv recorder?
Jaytee
oozitron wrote:
The MIDIBox sequencer (which is a 16 track pattern-based sequencer) has this ability. It uses MIDI notes as the "triggers", and those trigger notes can come from an external source, or from another track.

I made a batch of tutorials about the MBox sequencer; here's the one that demonstrates the "101-style" sequencing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHESaRhfULs

Drew

Unfortunately I’m looking for an actual trigger input. I know this would be possible on the MB SEQ one way or another by rewriting some code, but do you know if this could be added without altering the firmware? I’m familiar with MIDIbox in general but haven’t ever delved too deeply into the SEQ.
oozitron
All the CV/Gate/Trigger stuff on the MIDIBox Seq is outputs. Adding voltage or trigger inputs would be a project.

But I would think the "Trigger to MIDI" module that Perfect Circuit builds would probably do the trick if you were taking triggers from your modular.

Or find an old drum machine that sends out MIDI notes. I use a TR-505 in "edit" mode so I can make new patterns on the fly.

Drew
the bad producer
I'm confused, isn't this just the CLOCK input on any sequencer? hmmm.....

EG sequence o---o-oo-ooo-o of triggers from drum machine steps sequencer in pattern o---o-oo-ooo-o
oozitron
Well, most step sequencers can be advanced by a trigger/gate (not all), but step sequencers normally don't let you build a sequence by playing the notes from a keyboard, nor do they allow the number of notes that the SH-101 does.

So while the two features are not anything unique, the combination of them is.

Drew
the bad producer
Ah I was confused! Wasn’t someone developing a module based on the 101 sequencer, possibly a while ago? Probably confused again...

I guess so, just had a quick search which only turned up this functionality on the MidiGAL
toneburst
DozenCrows wrote:
it may be possible with the Per|former: https://westlicht.github.io/performer/manual/#pages-clock

I can confirm it is. Feature was added as a result of a user suggestion (by me wink ).

This is the relevant section of the manual:
https://westlicht.github.io/performer/manual/#appendix-recording
soup
I love the sh101 sequencer and my first ever diy project was the mutable instruments anushri, mostly because it has a sh101 style sequencer in it. I learned to solder to make it. My gateway drug. It also has a great (proto-grids?) drum machine and a fuzz circuit that makes it feel perfect for busking suicide covers.

Nowadays I use a keystep.
Jaytee
the bad producer wrote:
I'm confused, isn't this just the CLOCK input on any sequencer? hmmm.....

EG sequence o---o-oo-ooo-o of triggers from drum machine steps sequencer in pattern o---o-oo-ooo-o

I guess it’s a pretty common feature in modular sequencers. I think I’m just used to MIDI/DIN sync where the resolution of the sync signal is higher than one per step.

But yeah, I guess I’m looking for something a bit closer to the 101 sequencer than most modular sequencers get, even if I said the trigger input was the one thing I wanted hihi
the bad producer
Cool - wish you'd not started this thread and asked TBH as now it looks like I'll have to build myself a Per|former hihi
Jaytee
twisted
latigid on
The midiphy SEQ v4+ has (currently unused) gate + footswitch inputs. Could hack one in or request a feature.
Wigoz
any updates?
Jaytee
Updates to what?
prphnc
I was also looking for an 101 style sequencer and ended up with a brain seed. You can program note by note and trigger note by note. But no Portamento.
Arturia Keystep doesn't function this way. If you feed it wis irregular triggers it tries to calculate a speed out of it.
prphnc
Axoloti would be also an solution.

https://jamtronix.com/2016/05/04/sh101-style-sequencer-as-ruby-unimidi -script/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1