MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

building a noise rig out of filters?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author building a noise rig out of filters?
EATyourGUITAR
I'm thinking of getting back into modular. I have been around the block for years. I kind of know what gear makes the sounds I like. at the top of my list is all distortion units and some filters that make really good distortion sounds. I will give you a list. my question is at the bottom.

thermionic culture - culture vulture (perfect even harmonics)
sherman filterbank 2x2 (it was designed to sound like a marshall tube amp)
metasonix TX-1 agonizer (really good at not sounding like a culture vulture)
akai MFC-42 (I owned one, I could care less about the filter, the distortion switch was perfect)

basically I am thinking about starting my rig around the sherman 2x2. one of the things I really liked about this unit is the distortion. another thing I liked is that you can set the cutoff frequencies of two low pass filters an octave apart and do even harmonics manually. it almost sounds like a culture vulture but maybe more like a marshall, more dirty, less straight forward overdrive. I like that it is modular. I can do more than one thing with it. there is some opportunity to self patch. I might seed it with white noise. I want to know if this would be a good investment and also, is this the first thing I should buy or would my simple rig be severely limited?

am I crazy for spending $350 on an MFC42 to use as a distortion pedal without using the filter? for some reason it has this sound that I am in love with. nothing else can replace it. am I making life difficult for myself having a mobile rig that is mixed signal volume, mixed jack size, overly big?

is the TX-1 just way too overpriced right now for what it is?

help
EATyourGUITAR
holy shit MFC42 is $750 on ebay fuck! I paid $250 and sold it for $325. I thought the buyer was stupid. now I feel stupid.
electricanada
Hadron collider can get real gnarly.
Cybananna
Second the u hadron collider. With the right stuff going in, the Subcon Vampire can get pretty nasty too.
EATyourGUITAR
maybe I will just go euro.

luchog
Metasonix R-52 (if you can find one) or RK4, plus RK6. Noisy and crunchy and unpredictable.
kindredlost
Elby Designs makes the Bi-N-Tic filter. Nothing else quite like it...

http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/p352.html
PrimateSynthesis
Since you can DIY, you can save a ton of money by building your own distortion. There are all kinds of discrete semiconductors you can use as diodes.

Building dirty tube circuits is way easier and less expensive than building clean tube circuits.
EATyourGUITAR
kindredlost wrote:
Elby Designs makes the Bi-N-Tic filter. Nothing else quite like it...

http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/p352.html

actually there is something like it but the clock does not bleed quite as much. Bi-N-Tic is a sloppy switched capacitor filter. harvestman bionic lester is a cleaner switched cap filter.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41817

while I do like the dirty sounds of the Bi-N-Tic, I concluded from watching demos that I could probably mix in a saw VCO to emulate the sound in the demo. the only advantage to the Bi-N-Tic is that you can just get that sound immediately without some complicated patch. you save space, save time, get a repeatable result. Maybe I am wrong. maybe there is some overdrive in the Bi-N-Tic that is worth investigating?

the third player in this bizarre realm is the switched capacitor filter section of the WMD synchrodyne. the expander lets you clock from any external source or mix the two internal clocks together! I have not tried the synchrodyne myself so I really can't compare it. it is interesting to note that the expander adds a pre-filter compressor to prevent the filter core from having any distortion.

https://wmdevices.com/products/synchrodyne
https://wmdevices.com/collections/eurorack-modules/products/synchrodyn e-expand
EATyourGUITAR
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Since you can DIY, you can save a ton of money by building your own distortion. There are all kinds of discrete semiconductors you can use as diodes.

Building dirty tube circuits is way easier and less expensive than building clean tube circuits.

I have been building distortions for years but most of the distortions I really like are beyond the scope of my abilities or development investment. I do not currently design or build tube circuits. I have not yet reverse engineered my favorite specific tube distortion units nor can I find an exact match for a schematic. the sherman is solid state but the voicing is carefully cloned from the many gain stages of a marshall tube amp. he has even gone through the trouble to add things to the circuit that would more closely emulate every detail of the tube sound with solid state technology. the basic formula is to filter then distort then filter then distort etc...however many stages there are in that thing. I am not trying to roll the dice on distortion that I can build. I am really not trying to waste money developing something that will not be used or even worse, something that will be forever unfinished. the reason I like the MFC42 is because it was used on a shit load of 90's drum n bass records on some bass synth sounds mostly sample packs from the MPC2000. same reason I love this $70 reverb rack unit from the 90's. sometimes the thing that will do the thing is the thing that does that thing.

https://reverb.com/item/24814608-alesis-quadaverb
EATyourGUITAR
luchog wrote:
Metasonix R-52 (if you can find one) or RK4, plus RK6. Noisy and crunchy and unpredictable.

yes. I like.
VM
It seems like you're rackspace-conscious. With that in mind check out the Happy Nerding Tritone and the Bastl Cinnamon.

I have the cinnamon, and enjoy the 3 HP/LP/BP outputs and find the drive to be suitably aggressive. It's a woody and throaty overdrive rather than metallic.
cptnal
Noise... filters... Euro.... No mention yet of the Wasp? seriously, i just don't get it
k_dada
This seems like a really cool idea. And I don't think it is crazy to use to do this if it is going to get you your sound, especially since you seems to have a good idea of what that sound is.

Have you considered a tube VCA module? You should be able to get some distortion along with amplification that way.
EATyourGUITAR
VM wrote:
Happy Nerding Tritone

the demos sound AMAZING!

diffrentstrolks
How bout Jomox T-Rackonizer if you have the space (and a limiter or 3)?

As for euro distortion; I’m liking where DPW’s head is @ these days:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-_iu__Cf_lo
dubonaire
Cheap option - Desktop Evolver.
whyfarer
2-4x plague bearers still comes out cheap - esp if you DIY them
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1