MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8 Noisy inputs over ADAT
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-8 Noisy inputs over ADAT
dbcoder
I just got my ES-8 setup in my case. I routed the ADAT out to the ADAT in on my Focusrite Scarlette 18i20 gen 3. I noticed that when set a channel to monitor an ES-8 input in ableton, there is a noise floor of about 35-36 db. This happens on inputs 1-4 even with nothing patched to the module.

Any ideas?

W.r.t power: I have no power issues with any of the rest of my 12u rack. I am not sure I can feasibly test with another power source.
os
Sounds like these might be DC offsets. Put Live's Utility on the track and activate the DC blocker. Does it disappear?
dbcoder
Yep! Thanks, that looks to be it! Appreciate the quick response. SlayerBadger! thumbs up
whinger
Hope you don't mind if I jump in on this conversation as I have a similar issue with mine. When I use Ableton CV Tools, I get a click single click in the left channel for every trigger, a double click in the left channel for every gate and a single click at the BPM in the right channel when I use clock out.

My info is Mac OS 10.14.6 running Ableton 10.1 and I use CV Tools. I have an ES-8 connecting via ADAT to an RME Fireface UCX.

The issue only happens in the monitoring channel. For example, the default is two MIDI channels and two Audio channels. I will place the CV Tool instrument on Channel 2 (MIDI), and record the audio coming in on Channel 3 (Audio). The entire time the MIDI is being sent, I hear the clicks. If I turn off Channel 2 and only listen to Channel 3, the click is not there (so it's not being recorded).

My assumption is some sort of user error, but I can't figure out what to do. I tried the DC Offset as you mentioned, and that didn't seem to work. I emailed Ableton over a week ago and haven't heard anything back.

I'm including a screen grab of how I have Channel 2 set up, if that helps. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

whinger
I anyone at all could offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you.
whinger
The problem was that the RME doesn't really have traditional sound card settings, and instead uses an app called TotalMix. There is a view called Matrix view that I'd never used before, and in there, the output channel that is sending CV was being monitored by the headphones. So all I had to do was turn off that routing from within the TotalMix app.

I got that answer from the Lines forum, which I cannot recommend enough. I posted this question to Ableton, to MW ES forum and to Reddit, never heard back from any of those sources. Posted it Lines today, and within an hour I had a response and within two hours it was solved. Lovely community over there, and genuinely helpful people.
os
You were unfortunate to post right at the start of my summer holiday, one of the few times I'm not rabidly responding to every post here.

I would've guessed TotalMix from your post. I significant fraction of the problems I deal with here are actually TotalMix setup issues.
DJMaytag
os wrote:
Sounds like these might be DC offsets. Put Live's Utility on the track and activate the DC blocker. Does it disappear?

Is there any sort of plugin that specifically blocks DC? I have a similar issue with my ES-6.

No issues with TotalMix on my end. smile
debolish
If you're not using Ableton Live, iZotope De-hum will do the trick.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/repair-and-edit/rx/features-and-co mparison/de-hum.html.html

DJMaytag wrote:
os wrote:

Is there any sort of plugin that specifically blocks DC? I have a similar issue with my ES-6.

No issues with TotalMix on my end. smile
DJMaytag
I use Reason. I've had luck with some smaller devs making custom RE's based on my suggestions, one specifically for Silent Way. Will be searching for someone who can come up with something in RE format.
os
It's basically a high pass filter with the cutoff set way low (<10Hz).
DJMaytag
os wrote:
It's basically a high pass filter with the cutoff set way low (<10Hz).

That did the trick, using Fabfilter ProQ3 at 20 Hz. There's a huge spike in the low end, and it's highly unlikely that I'd need any content below 20 Hz anyway.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1