MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla LEM218 - Troubleshooting Question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla LEM218 - Troubleshooting Question
REcDeso12oi
So, The last couple days I've been fortunate enough to have some time to dig into all these unresolved Buchla issues I've had over the years and my project today was to get the Sustain on my LEM218 to work.

I opened it up and took out the Power supply and saw that one of the prongs from the sustain input (prong 3) just doesnt exist. I see there's 3 holes for the prongs to be soldered into and Prong 3's hole had solder in it.. just no prong. Here's a photo:

Is this normal?
@green
You may have cracked a years long case my friend. We have been trying to figure this out for quite a while. Mine never worked either. Haven’t unsoldered my input jack, but that seems like a possible cause for concern. Be interested to see where this goes for you.
jimfowler
No horse in this race but is there a trace on the board where this missing prong would connect to? A pic of the board would answer that question...or a schematic. Most sustain pedals are just momentary on/off switches which would only require tip and sleeve connections and no ring.
REcDeso12oi
From what I can see there's no trace going to the missing pin, which is funny since theres solder there and no pin. Either way, I ordered a couple Tegg 6.35mm headphone jacks off of amazon. They have the correct pin configuration. I soldered one of them in there and surprise my sustain input now works.. ONLY when the sustain pedal is plugged almost all the way in. If I plug the sustain pedal fully into the jack, the sustain is on all of the time. So obviously the issue w/ this specific jack is that its a stereo jack.

Now all this being said, since it now works, I think the sustain jack that I pulled out was faulty.. not necessarily because of the missing pin, but maybe because of something else. But I also went through and touched up all the soldering, and cleaned all the flux off the board, so its also possible that there was a cold solder connection somewhere.

Either way, I think if your sustain input isn’t working, pull out the board and touch up all the solder joints and replace the jack (with the correct replacement haha, not the one I used).. hopefully you’ll have the same luck I did.

BTW this is a BEMI 218e.
Drillionaire
REcDeso12oi wrote:
So obviously the issue w/ this specific jack is that its a stereo jack.

If I had to guess I'd say the issue is that your sustain pedal is a normally closed pedal, whereas the 218e requires a normally open pedal for sustain to work correctly.
@green
Drillionaire wrote:
REcDeso12oi wrote:

If I had to guess I'd say the issue is that your sustain pedal is a normally closed pedal, whereas the 218e requires a normally open pedal for sustain to work correctly.

That was what they originally suggested to try as a possible solution when I contacted Buchla. However, my jack is probably faulty as well. my sustain pedal is one of the switching variety and doesn't work in any configuration.
Drillionaire
@green wrote:
Drillionaire wrote:
REcDeso12oi wrote:

That was what they originally suggested to try as a possible solution when I contacted Buchla. However, my jack is probably faulty as well. my sustain pedal is one of the switching variety and doesn't work in any configuration.

It's certainly possible, I was simply stating that the replacement jack is probably not problematic due to it being stereo, the issue is with the sustain pedal.
jimfowler
Testing this is very simple: plug a TS cable into the sustain input and bridge the other end with a paper clip or anything conductive. That will close the circuit and you should have sustain.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1