MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gaging interest in a tool to screw on thonkiconn round nuts
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Gaging interest in a tool to screw on thonkiconn round nuts
devinw1
I kind of want to design a nice little machined tool that will tighten the round jack nuts easily without scraching them because nobody sells anything decent. Exploding Garage had a need little 3D printed thing but it's perpetually out of stock.

If I came out with something that would sell for maybe ...30$?? How many people would be into that?

You can tell me my idea sucks and suggest another tool too, that would be fine. I'm just tired of tightening the damn things with my wire nippers. very frustrating
diophantine
Are these the round nuts with the exposed slots on both sides?

If so, you can get a tool at Mouser that works. I think it is 382-0006, but I am not 100% certain. Around $8. You do have to file down the protrusions that fit into those slots, though, as there's some burrs on the driver, and there can be some on the nuts.

I'd owned it for years, thought it sucked, and started using a small screwdriver to turn the nut on just one side. Then f'd up a panel pretty bad doing that, and then revisited the nut driver. After filing the edges/corners down a bit, it seems to work fine.
Joe.
You used to be able to buy these from Thonk, they were cheap and made pretty well. Perhaps email them and see about another run?

devinw1
Joe, that is almost EXACTLY what I had envisioned drawing up. WTF why would they cancel that lol. Ok I will contact Thonk. Thanks man.

Diophantine I'm talking about the knurl nuts with spanner slots on one side that thonk sells. Tho if there are other styles of hex-less jack nuts it would be cool to have a tool that would work on all of them (if that's possible)
Revok
Befaco has a tool for their new nuts. It looks like it only works with their nuts though. https://shop.befaco.org/bananuts/1044-bananuts-wrench-tool.html
devinw1
Those nuts are bananas too, not 3.5mm which I speak of.

Nice looking though
JohnLRice
devinw1 wrote:
Those nuts are bananas too, not 3.5mm which I speak of.

Nice looking though
Actually they aren't for banana jacks, they are for 3.5mm jacks. Read carefully, I was reading it as "banana" at first too! eek! d'oh! hihi

They are BANAnuts. And their tool is under $10:
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/bananuts/

selfdestroyer
That PEG looks great with them!
devinw1
Oh weird. Odd name choice on Befaco's part haha! Those do look cool.

Seems like that tool might work on the thonk nuts too then, although pity it doesn't have a centering peg like the discontinued thonk tool!
Jaytee
I 3D printed myself a tool. It’s not a perfect fit but it works and when it wears out (which it’ll do fairly quickly because of the aforementioned poor fit), I’ll tweak the model/print settings and print a new one. Eventually I’ll nail it and get the dimensions just right.

All that to say, it’ll take a looong time before I print enough of them to hit the $30 mark wink
JohnLRice
I had a thought that is probably easier said than done and you are on your own if you hurt yourself trying but:

Take a jack and saw off the threaded part

Screw the threaded section into a nut so that the threads are flush with the bottom of the nut

Place the threads/nut in an old frying pan and heat up on the stove, so it's just barely hot enough to melt plastic

Take an appropriately large plastic knob, like one off of a 5U system (if I find a knob missing on my gear I WILL find you! angry hihi ) and press it hard into the hot screw nut eek!

Note that it might be hard to get the metal peices out of the knob, especially after it cools? Maybe instead of sawing off the threads and using the frying pan maybe just using vice grip pliers etc hold the jack from the bottom and heat it with a small torch or flame?

This might be a big waste of time so, YMMV . . . .
devinw1
Welp, ended up whipping this up from an old nut driver on the mill at work this morning. Does the trick!

[/img]
JohnLRice
devinw1 wrote:
Welp, ended up whipping this up from an old nut driver on the mill at work this morning. Does the trick!

[/img]
thumbs up
roglok
just leaving this here ftr:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114781
devinw1
Hah, damn. I'm assuming if Raf still had those tools though, he would have em up on the MSW site? That thread is hella old.

I'll ask him.
EATyourGUITAR
the erthenvar nut driver is in fact a six sided nut driver that has been machined on the tip. the six sided section is still in there.
Monobass
devinw1 wrote:
Joe, that is almost EXACTLY what I had envisioned drawing up. WTF why would they cancel that lol. Ok I will contact Thonk. Thanks man.

We didn't cancel them, spent ages trying to restock but the guy who made them didn't want to make any more. There weren't for Thonkiconn sized nuts though.

We are working with someone else to create a solution, the exploding shed sets are nice too.
devinw1
Gotcha!
joem
The Exploding Shed ones are nice. I have zero regrets about getting it.
grenert
joem wrote:

They don't seem to ship to the United States. Anywhere else to buy them?
wendallsan
diophantine wrote:
Are these the round nuts with the exposed slots on both sides?

If so, you can get a tool at Mouser that works. I think it is 382-0006, but I am not 100% certain. Around $8. You do have to file down the protrusions that fit into those slots, though, as there's some burrs on the driver, and there can be some on the nuts.

I'd owned it for years, thought it sucked, and started using a small screwdriver to turn the nut on just one side. Then f'd up a panel pretty bad doing that, and then revisited the nut driver. After filing the edges/corners down a bit, it seems to work fine.

I had picked one of these up, and they work so-so "out of the box". The tool kept slipping, but still tightened up the knurled nuts better than by hand and more safely to the faceplate's paint job than using pliers. I hadn't considered what wasn't working, as the dimensions seem right all the way around (inner diameter, outer diameter, position of the protrusion tabs, diameter of the inner protrusion that sits inside the jack, etc). After reading your post I pulled out the magnifier and took a hard look at what was going on, and sure enough, as you say, the tabs on the tool are just a hair too wide to fit in the slots on the knurled nuts. About 5 seconds with a dremel tool shaved off enough of these tabs to fit perfectly, taking this from a "better than nothing" tool to a "perfect for the job" tool. Many thanks for posting this! I highly recommend this to any Mouser shoppers willing to take a few seconds to grind down those tabs a bit. Here's a direct link for anyone too lazy to use the site's search:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/382-0006
paperCUT
joem wrote:

Agreed, I've had one last me 6 months with no signs of weakness. Highly recommended.
joem
grenert wrote:
joem wrote:

They don't seem to ship to the United States. Anywhere else to buy them?

They don't seem to ship to the US, but I emailed them and they were happy enough to do so. Shipping was surprisingly cheap, though I can't remember exactly what it was.
Altitude909
The befaco one is exactly how I did my 10mm one, simply take a tube 8mm in diameter, knurl one side, machine the keys on one end
Harrisfun
Believe Befaco already makes something for this
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2