MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hot Gossip's The Hollywood Jungle - Richard James Burgess
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Hot Gossip's The Hollywood Jungle - Richard James Burgess
Licudi
This unreleased and (as far as I know, uncompleted) Richard James Burgess-produced album was scheduled for release by DinDisc in 1981, but pulled and replaced by the not-much-cop BEF-produced Geisha Boys And Temple Girls. I assume The Hollywood Jungle was one of the last appearances of Burgess' MC-8 and System 100M set-up.

The LP featured - somewhat surprisingly - as a runner-up in The Wire's '100 Records That Set The World On Fire (While No One Was Listening)' list compiled a few years ago. I'd like to hear it, but can't find a bootleg or leak anywhere. Anyone here heard it or able to help?

I should add that this might be a fruitless task as the Richard James Burgess-produced Hot Gossip cover of Metro's Criminal World isn't hard to find. It’s terrible.
cretaceousear
I had to Google that - it sounds utterly counter to everything that makes sense - Hot Gossip in The Wire.
Here's a bizarre episode .. way way back in the distant past I knew some dancers, one of them had a gig in some place near London Bridge. Four or five us went along and two of us got off our faces. Our friend who was dancing was a fantastic dancer, but weird, not HG material for sure, she did a freakout solo to a James White and His Blacks piece. Mesmerising.
At some point I went with my gf, her best friend (a dancer), and her good friend a member of HG.. and we went to a Wimpy Burger Bar (cheapass plastic burgers if you don't know). One of those times you wonder if the world is aligned as you thought...
Licudi
cretaceousear wrote:
I had to Google that - it sounds utterly counter to everything that makes sense - Hot Gossip in The Wire.

Yeah, that was what got me intrigued. After I opened the thread I found a 2010 interview that throws some light on the record's non-appearance. Seems DinDisc expected (like me) an electronic album but Burgess delivered something completely off the wall instead and was sacked.

“…the HOT GOSSIP record that I made with John L Walters was one of my favourite productions. I haven’t listened to it in nearly thirty years, but my recollection is that we really broke some new ground.

Unfortunately, I think what Carol Wilson (the A&R person) and Arlene Phillips (HOT GOSSIP) were looking for was something more like SHOCK, LANDSCAPE, SPANDAU BALLET and I used Harvey Mason Jr on drums, Gil Evans played piano on it (that is a great story), and David Sanborn played sax along with many other amazing musicians.

I was young and somewhat naive and I played the roughs to Arlene and the label all the way through the process; everyone was nothing but enthusiastic and yet when I turned in the mixes, it all went horribly south.

With a couple more years of experience under my belt I might have been able to right the ship, but they just went ahead and remade the album without any meaningful discussion. This was a huge learning experience for me and rocked my confidence for a bit.”

http://www.electricityclub.co.uk/richard-james-burgess-interview/
cretaceousear
I skimmed what I found on it yesterday - hadn't spotted Gil Evans, and Derek Bailey, a very avant garde player I believe.

My dancer friends would mention Arlene Philips as hard headed and ambitious but a superb choreographer.
A manufactured pop facade with avant garde musicians. hmmm.....
I wonder what it sounded like - I bet the dancers never sang on it..
I expect they wanted neat arty weirdness that could be packaged and dressed, but got something much more spiky.
(I'm not familiar with Burgess's stuff apart from Einstein a Go Go)

I've now looked at the 'version' of Houses in Motion featured on the Kenny Everett show. God, was that a BEF production?
Even the bloody dancing is shite.
MarcelP
Licudi wrote:
cretaceousear wrote:

Yeah, that was what got me intrigued. After I opened the thread I found a 2010 interview that throws some light on the record's non-appearance. Seems DinDisc expected (like me) an electronic album but Burgess delivered something completely off the wall instead and was sacked.

“…the HOT GOSSIP record that I made with John L Walters was one of my favourite productions. I haven’t listened to it in nearly thirty years, but my recollection is that we really broke some new ground.

Unfortunately, I think what Carol Wilson (the A&R person) and Arlene Phillips (HOT GOSSIP) were looking for was something more like SHOCK, LANDSCAPE, SPANDAU BALLET and I used Harvey Mason Jr on drums, Gil Evans played piano on it (that is a great story), and David Sanborn played sax along with many other amazing musicians.

I was young and somewhat naive and I played the roughs to Arlene and the label all the way through the process; everyone was nothing but enthusiastic and yet when I turned in the mixes, it all went horribly south.

With a couple more years of experience under my belt I might have been able to right the ship, but they just went ahead and remade the album without any meaningful discussion. This was a huge learning experience for me and rocked my confidence for a bit.”

http://www.electricityclub.co.uk/richard-james-burgess-interview/

An interesting interview for me - I got my one and only named credit on an album on the PRAISE record he mentions - nice he didn't think it was crap in retrospect!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1