MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DSI Pro 2 or Roland System-500?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author DSI Pro 2 or Roland System-500?
Divinital
I can get them both for roughly the same price ($1,150-$1,250 depending).

I've got the Moog Matriarch on pre-order and mainly use VST poly synths, so I'm looking for a bit of that modulation heavy spice. The DSI Pro 2 and Roland System-500 both speak volumes to me but at the same loudness. It's nearly impossible to choose. Both are modular friendly with the Matriarch, have a relatively distinct sound (Evolver series and Roland filter). I have almost no preference but I want to snag what I can while I can.

Any recommendations? I'm not particularly interested in building my own modular synth, too many options, constant GAS, I am terrible with decisions (obviously), I like pre-built stuff that was meant to go well together and can be expanded on, but is the base/main aspect of the setup.

Current gear includes : Roland TR-8S, SE-02, guitars, and a DAW/MIDI controller/recording equipment.
Divinital
Also considering the Dominion 1 but the drawback of having to ship cross seas for repair is off putting.
anselmi
I think the Pro-2 covers a wider territory, offering sequencing, control, fx, paraphony and 2 different kind of filters among other goodies (memories, keyboard, etc)

The Roland have the Roland sound, so it depends of how much you want this Roland sound

I´d go with the Pro-2 and then buy the MS-101 that is deadly cheap and have the basic Roland sound and beyond since it have the equivalent Nova mods already installed...of course it´s not modular, but this mods really expand the basic 101 sound to the analog FM territory
Divinital
I'm one of those weird people that doesn't buy Behringer products, I'd snag the SH-01A if it was all I was looking for in the synth.
tioJim
Interesting question. Here’s an angle you might not have considered

I had a pile of 500 series modules. I loved them, sounded great, but I replaced them with a vintage Roland SH09. Less versatile but also sounds fabulous.

Why did I do this?

The 500 rig never felt like a hands on instrument I could play and tweak. It was connected via CV/gate to MIDI to my master keyboard but it felt remote/removed. Eurorack can be cramped at the best of times and whilst the layout’s pretty good on most of the 500 modules, it always felt a bit fiddly.

I’m fussy and easily put off and have sausage fingers. The DSI would suit me better as does the SH09

J
Sanys
Another vote for Pro 2
U can do a lot with it.
Don’t forget about it great sequencer
Divinital
Thanks the Pro 2 is in my cart!

I'll decide by the end of the day if I should snag one new for $1,235 or save a bit more for the Kemper Profiler.
anselmi
Divinital wrote:
Thanks the Pro 2 is in my cart!

I'll decide by the end of the day if I should snag one new for $1,235 or save a bit more for the Kemper Profiler.

certainly the same feature set hihi
Divinital
Isn't about feature set, only the total utility the purchase provides to my setup, and both are equal in that regard.
calaveras
Pro 2 by far. If you can listen to them side by side there is a big difference.
Neither is bad, but they are pretty far apart.

I concur with the SH09 comment above.
I own one as well, and on paper it's pretty bland. If I made a modular patch following the SH09's architecture, I'd be bored with it quite fast.
However there is a thing about it being an instrument, about working within the limits of it that brings out some cool stuff.
Not a knock on modular. But I do find my self thinking more in terms of modular instruments these days. Such that I fill a small case with a few modules and that is what I use, not every damn thing in the house!

The Roland stuff sounds very good, but I don't understand the odd layout. The jacks are all over the place, as are the pots. Makes for a very messy patch where you can't see the labels all the time. But Malekko+Roland just makes me want it, even if they are pretty standard modules when compared to Mutable or Makenoise.
Divinital
calaveras wrote:
Pro 2 by far. If you can listen to them side by side there is a big difference.
Neither is bad, but they are pretty far apart.

I concur with the SH09 comment above.
I own one as well, and on paper it's pretty bland. If I made a modular patch following the SH09's architecture, I'd be bored with it quite fast.
However there is a thing about it being an instrument, about working within the limits of it that brings out some cool stuff.
Not a knock on modular. But I do find my self thinking more in terms of modular instruments these days. Such that I fill a small case with a few modules and that is what I use, not every damn thing in the house!

The Roland stuff sounds very good, but I don't understand the odd layout. The jacks are all over the place, as are the pots. Makes for a very messy patch where you can't see the labels all the time. But Malekko+Roland just makes me want it, even if they are pretty standard modules when compared to Mutable or Makenoise.

I'm intrigued by modular but at the same time I hate it. Designers are much better than me at choosing what goes well together.

It's like trying to build a Lego Millennium Falcon and you have an infinite amount of pieces at your disposal but not necessarily all the perfect ones unless you buy them all together, the ones that are all meant to cohere into the Falcon. I prefer prebuilt systems still. Usually designed well, meant to play together and the results are usually stupendous, hence why the interest in the System-500, but if I got the System-500 complete I'd immediately buy another Roland case and the rest of the modules....

For now I've decided to save my money until the Matriarch comes out and see if I really lust after anything once it does.

If I get anything currently I've an inclination towards something vintage.

(note the modular comments are my own opinion, I do not care about anyone else's enough to argue lol)

Pretty nice SH09 available currently... you have one? Only good things to say about it? (I'm a raw oscillator type of person over a modulation/features person).
tioJim
[quote="Divinital"]
calaveras wrote:
Pretty nice SH09 available currently... you have one? Only good things to say about it? (I'm a raw oscillator type of person over a modulation/features person).

If you like that 70s Roland sound and filter then you can't fault it really. It'd be odd to criticise it for features as you'd have to ask, "Well, didn't you look at the front panel properly?!" It doesn't exactly hide any of its assets ;-)

It looks great too, if that matters to you.

I'm really happy with it. I'd love to pair it with an SH2, three oscillator 70s Roland monosynth madness! Prices of those are escalting rapidly. The SH09 not so much.
Divinital
[quote="tioJim"]
Divinital wrote:
calaveras wrote:

If you like that 70s Roland sound and filter then you can't fault it really. It'd be odd to criticise it for features as you'd have to ask, "Well, didn't you look at the front panel properly?!" It doesn't exactly hide any of its assets ;-)

It looks great too, if that matters to you.

I'm really happy with it. I'd love to pair it with an SH2, three oscillator 70s Roland monosynth madness! Prices of those are escalting rapidly. The SH09 not so much.

Sucks I got into synths again last year and not 5 years ago.... Seems like the synth landscape has really changed and I'm obsessed with those vintage Roland sounds...
Divinital
Just bought a Pro 2 new for $1,235 + 8% reward cash back.
tioJim
Divinital wrote:

thumbs up

(just get the System-500 stuff later screaming goo yo )
Jason Brock
Divinital wrote:

Great choice, and nice price.
I sold my Pro-2 to fund something else, but despite that I still think it is Dave Smith's best synth yet because of the filter choices - both the Oberheim and Prophet filters are in there, with flexible routing options between them.

As for the System-500 stuff, I tried it and found the panels a bit too crowded when you plug in a lot of cables. Personally I really need some room to tweak knobs comfortably, but your experience may differ. You can also get the Roland sound with lots of other Eurorack makers. Just having a Mutable Instruments Ripples filter lets me get plenty of Roland-ish sounds, for example.
Divinital
Jason Brock wrote:
Divinital wrote:

Great choice, and nice price.
I sold my Pro-2 to fund something else, but despite that I still think it is Dave Smith's best synth yet because of the filter choices - both the Oberheim and Prophet filters are in there, with flexible routing options between them.

As for the System-500 stuff, I tried it and found the panels a bit too crowded when you plug in a lot of cables. Personally I really need some room to tweak knobs comfortably, but your experience may differ. You can also get the Roland sound with lots of other Eurorack makers. Just having a Mutable Instruments Ripples filter lets me get plenty of Roland-ish sounds, for example.

A lot of people mention how crowded the panels seem and small overall, which I would assume is indeed the case! Unfortunate, I'd still love to own them someday.
Divinital
Maybe I should sell the Pro 2 at cost and get a bunch of Behringer though. Two Model Ds, an MS-1, and an Odyssey.
dubonaire
Divinital wrote:
Maybe I should sell the Pro 2 at cost and get a bunch of Behringer though. Two Model Ds, an MS-1, and an Odyssey.

No keep the Pro 2. DSI/Sequential synths are deep and rewarding.
Divinital
dubonaire wrote:
Divinital wrote:

Alright, we'll see how much I like it. Behringer stuff is all the rage now it seems, if you don't own any you're the oddball.
dkcg
Divinital wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Divinital wrote:

Alright, we'll see how much I like it. Behringer stuff is all the rage now it seems, if you don't own any you're the oddball.

It's a very deep "monosynth" that you can play chords. I think it had the best sequencer in any DSI/Sequential box and better than most sequencers out there. I don't use euro anymore, but there are 4 sets of CVs and gate outputs, and if i'm remembering correctly, a few CV inputs too. I'm kinda surprised they are discontinuing it, but you got a hell of a deal on a new one. Most used ones list for more than you paid for new. I lucked out, got mine used, but in new condition for $1050.

As for Behringer, you said it yourself, it's a trend. Dave Smith had been designing an building synths probably about as long as Uli has been alive.
But if you want to be one of the "cool kids" and peer pressure is your thing, by all means sell it for the Behringer stuff, but you will have sellers remorse and if you ever decide to sell any of the Behringer gear, sellers and delayed buyer's remorse.
zolar_czakl
Hey I recently picked up the Pro 2 for the same price! Been wanting one for a while - sold my mono Evolver desktop a couple years ago, knowing that some day I would replace it with the Pro 2. When I saw that the Pro 2 was discontinued, I knew I had to jump on it. I find it really inspiring stuff and love the thoughtful feature set.

The Behringer Neutron is just mad cheap for what you get. I've currently got mine sitting right behind the Pro 2, for that hot CV action between the two Miley Cyrus

Divinital wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Divinital wrote:

thispoison
Divinital wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Divinital wrote:

There are no oddballs in this game.

There are many trolls. But no oddballs. sad banana
Sanys
which one of B synths have 2 filters, 4 lfo's, 4 delays, per-parameter deep sequencer, 6 env gens etc... none hihi
Divinital
Sanys wrote:
which one of B synths have 2 filters, 4 lfo's, 4 delays, per-parameter deep sequencer, 6 env gens etc... none hihi

waiting for my Pro 2 to arrive in the mail... of course the OB-6 went on sale... FML, just don't have money for this...

can't decide whether to get an OB-6 again or perma-save mode for the Moog One.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2