MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Percentage of 5U in your music?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Percentage of 5U in your music?
kindredlost
Maybe this should be a poll but I hate those things, anyway the question I have is ...
How much of your music involves the 5U modular?
I realize this is fairly open-ended and will vary but I am curious about how much of the time these large format modulars are being used in production circumstances or rather as a sound source to be sampled or even just as a relaxing and fun pastime. We all have our own work flow and production methods and there is nothing wrong with owning and working with a modular outside of your normal working production. I find I spend as much time just patching to experiment as I do using the modular for producing any finished work.
How about you?

Also, I didn’t post this in the general modular discussion area because I tend to think of the 5U community much differently than some of the other modular user groups such as eurorack, etc.. I have more interest in hearing what people with large format systems think about their production uses.
daveholiday
I started my 5U system in the summer of 2015. It has yet to end up on any of my recorded music. It's not to say that it won't ever, but it is a far different beast than what I had been using in the past. I grew up with MIDI and computer sequencing/recording, so you can imagine how different the modular was/is to my workflow.

I do love just experimenting and noodling with it. It has really taught me a great deal about synthesis. Because of this I started re-exploring all of my other synths and realized I was missing a large chunk of "stuff" when it came to editing and writing patches!

I have been recently expanding my MIDI-fication of the modular via an Encore Expressionist so perhaps it won't be long before it starts showing up on a track or two!!
megaohm
daveholiday wrote:

I do love just experimenting and noodling with it. It has really taught me a great deal about synthesis. Because of this I started re-exploring all of my other synths and realized I was missing a large chunk of "stuff" when it came to editing and writing patches!

Bold because it is so true!
JohnLRice
Over the last 11 goos . . . I mean years screaming goo yo . . . I'd say at least 50% of music I've done has been with 5U . . . and it may be closer to 80%, with eurorack in a strong second place followed by keyboard and rack MIDI synths and then acoustic hand percussion and miscellaneous things.
johny_gtr
I've started with MU systems 6 years ago, and first time played on it 5 years ago (I've just waited for a year for my Mos-Lab system).

After I received MU system I only use my Prophet 8 as midi keys and organ emulation.

For this moment I have 1EP of retro-synth music (90% MU system + 9% drum machine + 1% guitars), 1 EP of drone music (100% MU + FX multi-device), 1 ambient album (5-10% of MU). All these releases are done under Release-it-anyway paradigm, where costs for production (mostly mastering+vinyl production+mastering) are much more than any sales.

I love MU system for it's gorgeous sound, especially on sub-bass, lows and mid-lows frequencies, subtle changes. With proper reverb and delays - like my Axe-FX2 (it's not just for guitars but top-notch reverbs) or OTO Bam - this great sounds of MU is even greater. I love MU format for its scientific look.
I don't like sequencers in MU (sold 960 and bought Five 12 vector which is amazing). I don't like very tiny amount of modules (Moog filters clones are like Tube Screamers clones in guitar world) and my almost zero skills in DIY.
If I have a time in future I will try to improve my DIY skills and create some new modules and modules from 500 series section (like coloring things/compressors/eq's/tapesims) and will have the beast of analog world.
As addition I have Euro systems for ambient duties, plus it has great modulation like Stages, Zadar, Marbles which haven't been presented in 5U world (and will cost a ton). Euro is also great for live performances and playing with fellow musicians.

As summary, maybe it will be a great idea to have MW MU music on vinyl, limited run. We have no profit, but a lot of fun and vinyl for us. What do you think about it?
Flareless
71.002%
kindredlost
Flareless wrote:
71.002%

Finally a precise answer! lol
Klangzaun
I use it in nearly every track I am recording.
Flareless
kindredlost wrote:
Flareless wrote:
71.002%

I know, right!?!?!?
gregae
Flareless wrote:
kindredlost wrote:
Flareless wrote:
71.002%

I know, right!?!?!?

Precision appreciated, but it's also helpful to remember that 58.7% of all quoted statistics are simply made up on the spot... hihi
kindredlost
Klangzaun wrote:
I use it in nearly every track I am recording.

That is another point or twist on the question.

I usually always have some portion of a recording which incorporates the modular but there are relatively rare times when it is the only instrument used.

In my case it's only about 10% of the time that I do an entire piece with the modular alone. Most of my stuff is recorded in a single take with other synth keyboards and drum machines etc.. I like writing that way better then multi-tracking. I tend to get lost in the minutia with layered multi-track pieces and enjoy the challenge of making an evolving live piece. I still produce multi-track pieces but they are much different from a conceptual perspective.

Part of the challenge can come from trying to control the modular when you are bound to a keyboard. Since I am not a very competent keyboardist, I tend to concentrate on the played part and have a difficult time tweaking the modular at the same time. Part of the problem is how small a room I am in with the layout of the keyboards in an awkward position to the modular. I tend to set up events and just mix them as a performance.
fac
gregae wrote:

Precision appreciated, but it's also helpful to remember that 58.7% of all quoted statistics are simply made up on the spot... hihi

I actually have a spreadsheet where I register which synth was used in which song. According to this info, I've used my MU system in 28 out of 94 "officially released" tracks, which amounts to nearly 30%.

However, taking into account only those tracks released *after* I started the MU system, I've used it in 28 out of 68 tracks, which is around 41%.

I usually choose 3 or 4 main synths to use in an album, so there are albums where the MU is used in every track, and others where it's never used.

I also have several jam sessions with the MU somewhere in my hard drives.

BTW.- the MU system is my second most-used synth. The first one, by a wide margin, is the Korg ER-1, used in 48 out of 94 tracks (51%).
josaka
wrong question really.. what % of your music isnt 5u.. smile
trentpmcd
I mostly "mess around" with music, so my answer is a firm, "It Depends"....

I play my piano every day, even if for just five minutes. Even this little bit helps keep my keyboard chops up, so I call it "practice" even though I usually don't do scales or Hanon or anything (sometimes i do...). My piano is in my living room, so it is never recorded - if I have a piano track, it is usually a virtual instrument.

Beyond "practice", I seem to get obsessed with different instruments. If I am in a modular mood, 100% of what I do is the modular. All "noodling", "wiggling", playing and recording. I recently picked up an (unmentionable brand) VC340 and 100% of my music, including recordings, have been with that instrument. Every electronic note. I've planned large, complicated pieces in my mind that use all of my toys, I mean instruments, sometimes filling pages of manuscript paper with notes, both musical and non, but never find the time to do it. (The last time I recorded from a large score was over a dozen years ago and it was 100% virtual.)

And that is the problem - not enough hours in the day nor days in the week. Even though I do not watch TV or anything like that, I feel I am flat out busy 24x7x365 and can never find more than a few minutes here or there for music, except for those few minutes of piano practice when i feed my dogs (they refuse to eat without being serenaded wink ).
unrecordings
I'd say everything has been pretty much exclusively MOTM format modular for the last 15 or so years. I'm not a keyboard player, so my monosynths went first, followed by drum machines. I do still use lab gear but within that modular context
hamildad
0% Music

100% half arsed Ableton projects that are going absolutely nowhere..

I am not sure I ever wouldn't use the MU modular, even if only for some percussive background noise, it can be so flexible, I am not sure I'd ever not find a use for it.
Flareless
fac wrote:
gregae wrote:

I actually have a spreadsheet where I register which synth was used in which song. According to this info,.....

I LOVE this guy! applause
Scooter McCrae
I have a considerable 5U set-up at home -- mostly Modcan B with some MOTM as well. I also have two portable Eurorack cases (6U and 9U) that I do not interface with the 5U set-up. Or at least I haven't done that yet.

I find that when I want to stand while Wiggling, I plant myself in front of the 5U system as it sits on top of some tables. When I feel like sitting, I drag the Eurorack cases into another room and sit on the floor with them. It feels a bit odd to type this, but how I'm feeling physically has a big effect on the choice of format I want to use and then the type of audio I want to record as the workflow is different for me depending on the format.

That being said, I spend more quality time with the 5U modules overall -- probably 65% to 70% of the time. Although I find the Euro stuff very entertaining, I also find that I get more intense therapeutical results and feel like I'm learning more about the core elements of how sounds work when I'm on the 5U system.

Scooter McCrae
MrNezumi
Wait....what?!! People make music with their 5u systems? Some day I'll have to give that a try.
fac
MrNezumi wrote:
Wait....what?!! People make music with their 5u systems? Some day I'll have to give that a try.

It does require widely expanding your concept of what you call "music", though.
josaka
fac wrote:

It does require widely expanding your concept of what you call "music", though.

I thought that was the overly modulation friendly eurorack.. smile
sbuge
Short answer: 60% time my 5U is part of the soundpath and 40% of time it is the only instrument/effect unit.

I use (Krisp1) 984 as my main mixer and almost every gig that I have - I carry Freestate Flanger + Phaser, (Sythcube) Blacet Time Machine and COTK Delay with me ... so nowdays 100% of my gigs has 5U involved (and in the very end of the sound path). w00t My sampler/soundcomputer (the very great) ER-301 is filled with 5U wav-files. Also I have maaaaanyyyyyy background tapes and minidisks filled with 5U-soundscapes that I sometimes use in live situations (I usually play them while repatching the modular).

In my studioroom if my MUdular is not the main thing I drive everything through it (even to get small panning effects, filtering, distortions, etc. it is just so flexible and easy to do with it).

And now I am just finish my (kraut/space/berlin-music) album (I started recording it in 2016) and basically 5U percentage is something like 80 - 100% (there are some guitar & piano / distortion pedals involved and Metasonix d1000 is producing some the drum sounds, some sampling and effecting has been done with ER-301, etc.).

Tomorrow I am travelling to play in another country and my gear is (I wanted easy to carry setup): 3x Sony minidisk players, 984-mixer, Time Machine. So is it something like 2/5=40% of 5U-action hihi
mutierend
0%, which is a damn shame, but I've been 100% focused on Buchla.
kindredlost
mutierend wrote:
0%, which is a damn shame, but I've been 100% focused on Buchla.

C’mon now! Bringing down the averages. We need your help here. lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1