MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ableton CV tools and ES expander modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Ableton CV tools and ES expander modules
moodlab
The question in this post first appeared as a reply to punkdISCO's sticky "Does ES5 Expander take away 2 ES3 Channels?", which in retrospect wasn't the best place for it.

Greetings!

I read on your website that Silent Way or the Max/MSP external is needed to make ES expansion modules work. Apart from the ES-7, that is, since it doesn't rely on any multiplexing to squeeze a bunch of CV or gate channels out of ADAT streams. Do I have that right? If I have an ES-5, I can only access its outputs or the outputs of any expanders chained off its headers by using Silent Way or the Max/MSP external, right? I'm wondering if, since Ableton CV tools is a Max device, it can talk to expanders hooked up to an ES 5 through that Max/MSP external. If it can, that's awesome. If it can't, is there a possibility for that to happen?

Thanks!
big job head
Hi,
you're right on everything. The es5 external still needs some signal (or trigger) to binary conversion to work properly buut it's pretty simple to do in max.
I tried to integrate an es5 converter into ableton cv tools but the routing portion is too difficult to understand for my knowledge so i gave up confused
moodlab
I had been on the verge of plunging into eurorack for some time, and ableton's cv tools announcement pushed me into action. I went ahead and got an ES3 and ES6 and started acquiring modules. Now I can imagine wanting expanded I/O with an ES5 and some other things, but I want to know what my options will be for using that I/O with anything other than Silent Way.

CV tools made the idea of getting into eurorack irresistable to me, and I can't be the only one who felt that way. Now I want more I/O, but I don't want to have to use Silent Way. If you guys make all your hardware addressable by all the "virtual CV/virtual modular" products available, I bet it will drive your hardware sales revenue much more than whatever will be lost by selling fewer Silent Way licenses...
big job head
You're not forced to buy silent way as the es-5 controller plugin works in licence-free mode.
In ableton i use the midi version to route cv tools to my es5 and it's very easy to setup.
Or you can also use the expert sleepers modules in vcv rack.
Or create an es5 controller with max4live (check this thread : http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1321866)
An integrated version within cvtools would be a simpler way to use it but there are options for you if you don't want to use silent way.
Bbman
big job head wrote:

In ableton i use the midi version to route cv tools to my es5 and it's very easy to setup.

Can you please elaborate on “midi version” and “easy to set up”.

Thanks
moodlab
Thank you for that info, big job head.

Like Bbman I'm also a little unclear what you mean by

"In ableton i use the midi version"
moodlab
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why I don't want to use Silent Way. Certain things about it seem a little cumbersome, but maybe I'll just get over that.
Bbman
So from CV tools I run CV LFO into channel 7 of the ES-3 and I get a pattern of triggers into the ES-5 not tied at all to silent ways ES-5 VST. I drop the Silent Ways Midi VST into a midi channel and cannot get it to do much of anything.

What I am missing? And sorry for the silly question. Also I am running a window 64 bit machine if that makes any difference.
big job head
Bbman wrote:
So from CV tools I run CV LFO into channel 7 of the ES-3 and I get a pattern of triggers into the ES-5 not tied at all to silent ways ES-5 VST. I drop the Silent Ways Midi VST into a midi channel and cannot get it to do much of anything.

What I am missing? And sorry for the silly question. Also I am running a window 64 bit machine if that makes any difference.

The es5 is tied to 2 channels of the es3 to if you use these 2 channels on es3 you'll get some irrelevant patterns of triggered on es5.

For the midi setup with cv tools, one midi track is dedicated to the es5 controller (midi version, not the audio one) and others midi tracks send notes to this one.

In es5 controller choose your es5 outputs with "inputs to gates"
In the gates sections you select the base channel and base note for up to 6 es-5.
here i only use one so my channel is 1, my base note is 48 (C2), corresponding to the first output of my es5. Each following note will trigger the next following output.

The audio out of the es5 channel correspond to the first 2 channels of my es3, which are the ones linked to my es5.

Hope it's clear, my english is far from perfect some times wink
big job head
Don't forget also that you can daisy chain CVTool instruments instead of creating multiple tracks.

Bbman
Thanks. I will try this tonight when I get home.
Bbman
Thanks. Works great. Just need to get your notes right.
big job head
w00t
os
It would of course be awesome if CV Tools natively supported the ES-5, so you could just e.g. use the output drop-downs in the Trigger sequencer to send triggers out to the ES-5.

But that would be something for Ableton to do. If enough people ask, maybe they would add it?
moodlab
os wrote:
It would of course be awesome if CV Tools natively supported the ES-5, so you could just e.g. use the output drop-downs in the Trigger sequencer to send triggers out to the ES-5.

But that would be something for Ableton to do. If enough people ask, maybe they would add it?

It would be super awesome, and seems like kind of an obvious thing to do. Would it be hard for them to do, or do they have most of what they need with your max external? Or is it a thing where they wouldn't want to natively support a third-party solution. I bet someone would have to do it in a not-officially-endorsed-by-ableton capacity since ableton wouldn't want any additional support responsibility, implied or actual. I can see how that would be tricky, but it would be so cool if it could happen...
evileye0702
Since the ES-5 Controller is license free and there are Max 4 Live devices for using the ES-5, just take the time to create your own device using one of those with CV Tools. Then, save it as a template so you don't have to go through the trouble the next time you want to do it.

I have a couple dozen templates I've created with Silent Way. Now it is just drag and drop, tweak a couple outputs and I'm ready to interact with the modular.
leeboiacid
Hi, I've managed to set up my ES-9 and ES-5 as above using the ES-5 controller (thanks Big Job Head). However, in an ideal world I'd like, say, output 1 on the ES-5 for a note gate, and output 1 on the ES-9 for pitch CV. Has anyone managed this using CV Tools. The only way that I can think of doing it is to have CV Tools instrument on a midi channel with this set to send no gate but send pitch CV to ES-9. Then, receive the midi from this channel on another, convert to desired note (somehow) so that it activates the correct ES-5 channel and then pass this onto the channel where the ES-5 controller is to go out to the ES-5. I think this will work. Just need a plug-in to convert midi notes to a particular note. Any thoughts anyone?
os
You would want to take the gate from the CV Tools instrument and put it through the ES-5 Controller to convert it to an ES-5 gate.
leeboiacid
os wrote:
You would want to take the gate from the CV Tools instrument and put it through the ES-5 Controller to convert it to an ES-5 gate.

Great! Thanks. I will give that a try.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1