MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2018 - 2019 * 1 year of modular addiction* NO WAY OUT?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 2018 - 2019 * 1 year of modular addiction* NO WAY OUT?
NewSynthOnTheBlock
What can i say...I was warned : IT IS AN ADDICTION! very frustrating
But....I COULD NOT RESIST nanners SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo Rockin' Banana!

I would say it is a truly common "wiggler-phenomenon, and I am sure there are many of this kind of threads out here.

My only Goal is: STOP BUYING NEW MODULES!
But...is like a modul-devil on one shoulder and a bank-account/at least conscience/good sense - angel on the other side fighting each other...devil Sniper VS angel with seriously, i just don't get it

Guess who gonna win that fight?
AAARGH!!!

how you handle it?
1st attemp, stop looking at those YouTube - new module XY video-accounts,
(BIG THX TO DivKid and mylarmelodies - I love your videos thumbs up )
2nd...don't hang around eBay
3rd...do not read wiggler, modularaddict, etc
4th... be lucky with all you#ve got and push that stuff to the Limit...which is not possible in a good way smile

should be easy...but IT AIN'T EASY!
I am breaking rule 1 to 5 regular...again and again

To be honest, sometimes I am spending more time comparing and haunting modules instead of making some good music. not that clever.

And here we go: only 14 HP are left, I was planning to fill it with a telharmonic, cause I like the chord-type-Sound you can achieve. Any suggestiostion for a good alternative?

And yeah..someday I will drop my mother 32 out of the rack and have another 60 HP gap which has to be filled SlayerBadger!

96 HP Pittsburgh Modular Case

Dreadbox Omikron
Mutable instruments Peaks
Doepfer A-180-2
2hp Passive Multiple
Intellijel Buff Mult
4ms Company SCM - Shuffling Clock Multiplier V2
Intellijel μVCA II
Qu-Bit Electronix Nano Rand
Steady State Fate Ultrafold
Erica Synths Black Polivoks VCF V2
Mutable instruments Clouds
Shakmat Modular Knight's Gallop
Synthrotek MST Stereo Output Mixer

4 x 104 HP MDLR Case

Expert Sleepers FH-1 'faderHost'
North Coast Synthesis MSK 007 Leapfrog VCF
ACL Variable Sync VCO
Vintage Synth Lab VCF-74
Mutable instruments Plaits
Expert Sleepers Disting mk4
Snazzy FX Eternal Spring
Vermona twinVCAmp
ADDAC System ADDAC703 Discrete Mixer
Metasonix RK2 XS-VCA
ALM Busy Circuits ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
System80 JOVE
Jupiter-6 inspired multimode filter
Intellijel Quadra
Quad Envelope / Function Generator
Intellijel μVCA II
Frequency Central System X Envelope
Xaoc Devices Batumi
Erica Synths Pico ATTEN
Erica Synths Pico MScale
Erica Synths Fusion VCO2
Erica Synths Black Polivoks VCF V2
Erica Synths Fusion Delay/Flanger/Vintage Ensemble
Mutable instruments Ears
Moog Music Inc. Moog Mother-32
Make Noise tELHARMONIC (THIS ONE IS THE ONLY NOT RACKED YET)
Malekko Heavy Industry Unity Mixer
2hp Verb
Mutable instruments Clouds
Qu-Bit Electronix Nano Rand
Feedback 1BIT Multitap Delay
Feedback 106 Chorus
Feedback PRE BX
Flame Memory Joystick
Doepfer A-180-2
2hp Passive Multiple
Retro Mechanical Labs Electron Fuzz Custom EFCCV
ADDAC System ADDAC812VU
Toppobrillo Stereomix

racooniac
if you have an addictive personality that tends to get very intense very fast my solution is distance (like you mentioned) from all those things that hype you up too much.

also: a predefined goal!
if you know for what purpose you went into eurorack you can always check that against all that new shiny stuff and if it would bring you closer to your goal or not (= if you "need" that shiny thing or not ;D)
NewSynthOnTheBlock
racooniac wrote:
if you have an addictive personality that tends to get very intense very fast my solution is distance (like you mentioned) from all those things that hype you up too much.

also: a predefined goal!
if you know for what purpose you went into eurorack you can always check that against all that new shiny stuff and if it would bring you closer to your goal or not (= if you "need" that shiny thing or not ;D)

so true. but the "whats the purpose-thing / main goal" is more or less the fun side.
In real wordl I did not even have enough time to use my whole gear extensively. But I have time between work/way home, waiting on what ever...time to read, time to think, time to want XY - thats one reason for beeing kind of addict:)
I enjoy every minute patching new sounds even without recording it, just listen and trying new crazy sounds. I am still a newbie and did not get all ways of clever patching, but I am still learning. Love that whole community. love

@racooniac: Grüße nach Österreich von nebenan wink
colb
NewSynthOnTheBlock wrote:
...But I have time between work/way home, waiting on what ever...time to read, time to think, time to want XY - thats one reason for beeing kind of addict:)

I often sit on the bus making notes about ideas for patches. Sometimes I come up with stuff that I maybe wouldn't while sitting in front of my rig. So maybe try that - or thinking up ideas for tunes...
lisa
Limit yourself to one module purchase for each track/song you finalize and release. That tends to slow things down a bit, for most modular addicts. wink
NewSynthOnTheBlock
Nice ideas, What do you mean by release? release where? thumbs up
NotHerbert
My only Goal is: STOP BUYING NEW MODULES!

And here we go: only 14 HP are left, I was planning to fill it with a telharmonic, cause I like the chord-type-Sound you can achieve. Any suggestiostion for a good alternative?

I think you might be in trouble.
authorless
For me, it is just knowing what functions I want. But I am also fairly unimpressed by a lot of the flashy modules.
colb
authorless wrote:
For me, it is just knowing what functions I want. But I am also fairly unimpressed by a lot of the flashy modules.

I'm totally impressed by lots of flashy modules, until someone comes along with a really simple setup and makes some amazing music with it - that tends to put some perspective on things!
SynthasaurusRex
"You can check out any time you like ....."
electricanada
I found that once I had a whole lot of modules the need to buy new ones diminished somewhat. But it never went away altogether. One day I'm going to start selling off ones that rarely get used, and then maybe only buy a new one for every dud I unload.
morgulbee
I started just 4 months ago and too quickly nearly filled a 7U 104hp Intellijel case. After my first purchase of a case and 8 basic modules to get started, I entered a bi-weekly cycle: order some modules, wait a week for delivery, play with those modules for a week to discover what I needed next, order that, repeat.

That bi-weekly cycle ended a month ago when I got to where (a) I have enough modules where I'm starting to do some really interesting things, (b) I don't know how to effectively use several really deep modules since I haven't spent enough time with them, and (c) I only have 16hp free space left so I have to be very picky about what I buy next.

So now it's time to learn how to play the instrument I created, get comfortable with it, then figure out what's next.
windchill
Once you've got to a sensible size - and you're certainly there already - apply a simple rule: one-in-one-out.

You are simply not allowed to buy a new module without selling an old one to make room for it.
Larger cases, or extra cases (even 'just a small one', like a 4MS Pod) are prohibited (unless by the one-in-one-out rule you are replacing an existing case with one of the same size).

You still get the buzz of researching, comparing, deciding, buying... but you have to choose an existing module to get rid of first.
You quickly learn what you want, and more importantly what you need. You start to see more clearly the value of what you already have, and whether the new module you've got your eye on is going to add anything.

Sounds trite and simplistic? Perhaps... but I have strictly stuck to this rule for some time now - and it's made a big difference; my system is better designed, more focused and integrated, and I'm doing more with it.
EATyourGUITAR
I know at least one of those modules has a bit of buyers remorse. Personally, I would start selling off my least favorite modules very quickly to make room and money for something way more useful and dense at a reasonable price. Often when using a system, you run out of LFO or VCA or mults everytime you use it. This is a good sign what to sell and what to buy. If you make music a lot, you will be using the same modules repeatedly. These are the ones to keep.
mosorensen
Enough talk about selling modules, let's get back on point (i.e., which new modules to get) ... smile

TelHarmonic is quirky, but it is kind of interesting (and frustrating) to figure out the different modes and how the intervals and chords relate to each other. It took me forever to figure out how to tune it.

The Qu-Bit Chords v2 seems to be another, more approachable, take on this concept. It also does chords, in 14hp, like the Tel. But it can also be set up as four independent wavetable OSCs.
NewSynthOnTheBlock
@windchill:
Yes, good hint. I did that. I already sold alot of modules. (e.g.: Rings, Braids, Phonagene, 4mS DLD, Touelskouarn StrakalBrulu, Befaco Kickall, Trogotronic Gran Fury 679, TT Audio One, Audio ONE TG, Tritone, MIA, Eloquencer, LoFi Junky, Ultrafold, Dreadbox Omikron, DPLR,Shakmatts, several Analogue Solutions EMS modules, Noise Engineering stuff, some Doepfer Filters, Mini Slew...and some more.)
Just kick em off cause I could not find a real use for them or simply wasn't lucky about the "Sound" and "feel", or needed Money for another deal. DLD ,Junky and BIA are great though. Omikron too, but I hated that Dreadboxy slippery knobs. not enough Tension while turning them around at least for my taste. same with Erebus or hypnosis.

@EatyourGuitar: The main Thing I am ran out again and again…. patch cables smile Yeah funny, cause they aren't expensive.

would love to get those LED flashing cables.
Does Someone know a good place where to buy?

@mosorensen: YEAH! thats what I am Talking about. NEW modules to hunt after. I will check out that Chords V2 by QuBit. thank you mate! thank you all for your replies.
nanners
Parnelli
The way I limit myself when I think I might be having a problem with something like alcohol or module purchases is that I am only allowed to do it when I'm alone or with somebody... thumbs up

Works for me! Guinness ftw!
NewSynthOnTheBlock
Parnelli wrote:
The way I limit myself when I think I might be having a problem with something like alcohol or module purchases is that I am only allowed to do it when I'm alone or with somebody... thumbs up

Works for me! Guinness ftw!

Hahahahaha thumbs up
Yes Powder
zengomi
As long as you are making something you want to listen to, you're OK.
Buy whatever catches your fancy.
Otherwise, sell everything.
fredguy
I too was addicted.
I started out with 84u....
Chasing the dragon.
I ended up with 600u+.
Can't remember the final total.

I got off the horse by hitting the bugbrand lottery.
Sold all my euro and slowly built a system.

Withdrawal from the euro was difficult.
Shiny new modules were a constant distraction.

I questioned my choice d'oh!
I weened myself from the euro forum.

BST became a weekly visit.
Bananas are life. nanners

Then this year I got the the Buchla flu. At least expansion is painfully expensive. Dead Banana

Other than switching to different format try wait at least a month after deciding to buy a module before actually buying it.

YMMV, offer not valid in California Miley Cyrus
Rex Coil 7
.... how you handle it?

Self discipline.

I got two words for you .... STOP BUYING MODULES!!!

eek!
cptnal
Still not getting the guilt thing. seriously, i just don't get it
lisa
cptnal wrote:

If someone told you that he or she is addicted to cocaine and wants to stop, would you say the same thing? wink
cptnal
lisa wrote:
cptnal wrote:

If someone told you that he or she is addicted to cocaine and wants to stop, would you say the same thing? wink

Still not getting the modular = cocaine thing. seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2