MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

alternative to iPad for music production?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author alternative to iPad for music production?
onthebandwagon
Is anyone using another tablet aside from the iPad? I’m fed up with Apple’s antics and want to buy something I can use for both music production and video editing. Does anyone use a Wacom? Is it even possible?
sizone
It's not as compact, but laptops capable of running whatever are fairly cheap and plentiful.
slumberjack
sizone wrote:
It's not as compact, but laptops capable of running whatever are fairly cheap and plentiful.

Hi-end Lenovos are super small, light and to be found at a third of their retail price used.
Bought a year old model for about 800$ a year ago.
CF3
Windows Surface Pro

I’ve look into the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro but the reviews are pretty bad.
PhineasFreak
microsoft surface pros are frikken fantastic - i bought a pro1 used, it lasted me 8yrs - never had a single issue!!!
okiikahuna
applause Phineas: Anybody who can quote chapter and verse from the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers is OK by me!
onthebandwagon
I was thinking about a surface seems like they’ve improved since they first came out. Not sure if I’m being irrational as most my recent experience with Apple is based on my iPhone but I just can’t take how the attempt to make your old devices obsolete with their operating system updates.
kcd06
Ive used Surface Pros for a few years now, including typing this out, and they have some good and bad qualities:

Display is very nice, and the device is reasonably lightweight and portable

Hope you like Win10

They are quiet--until dustbunnies colonize the innards (which is inevitable), then the emergency cooling fan runs frequently and loudly, and theres no easy way to clean them out

The stylus is nice, until it gets "lost" by the tablet, and then it can be hours of messing around trying to get the two to recognize each other

Hardware is decent, but prone to random failure and then youre SOL. This includes but is not limited to the HDD, display, usb controller, battery and random sectors of the touchscreen

Cannot be expanded, and dependent on external devices for I/O

Goes into overload when you try to run anything interesting, and then the cooling fan comes and and that damm thing is loud
onthebandwagon
kcd06 wrote:
Ive used Surface Pros for a few years now, including typing this out, and they have some good and bad qualities:

Display is very nice, and the device is reasonably lightweight and portable

Hope you like Win10

They are quiet--until dustbunnies colonize the innards (which is inevitable), then the emergency cooling fan runs frequently and loudly, and theres no easy way to clean them out

The stylus is nice, until it gets "lost" by the tablet, and then it can be hours of messing around trying to get the two to recognize each other

Hardware is decent, but prone to random failure and then youre SOL. This includes but is not limited to the HDD, display, usb controller, battery and random sectors of the touchscreen

Cannot be expanded, and dependent on external devices for I/O

Goes into overload when you try to run anything interesting, and then the cooling fan comes and and that damm thing is loud

That sounds like a pretty strong recommendation against.
onthebandwagon
New Surfaces are on their way:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/surface-pro- 7-vs-ipad-pro-can-microsofts-top-2-in-1-compete-with-apples-powerful-t ablet/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1