MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I give in... Calling Future Sound Systems and digital heads.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author I give in... Calling Future Sound Systems and digital heads.
D/A A/D
I was going to build a Modcan kit this coming year, but I really can't see myself being able to afford it at all. I mean I am living off of less than a 3rd of what I used to make.

So I am looking to trade up some shit for some Frac goodies, re:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25683#25683

It has become perfectly clear that my ass needs a fucking miniwave, and I have been obsessed with a noise ring for some time.

So I am thinking about building a "digital" frac rig:

Miniwave / Noise Ring / Metalbox Digital Noise / FSS CLO1 555 Clock/Digital Waveshaper / leaving me 1 1/2 spaces

Any more digital mods I should know about?

Why is the sky blue?

What am I sitting on?
Cat-A-Tonic
Welcome to the dark side (black panels).
Window Comparator and Binary Zone both kick ass.
D/A A/D
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Yeah I forgot about the Binary Zone... How similar is it to the noise ring?
Kwote
D/A A/D wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Yeah I forgot about the Binary Zone... How similar is it to the noise ring?

they're both great as pseudo sequencers. both need to be quantized if you want exact pitch(mini wave w/scale quantizer rom). i think both can be sent into audio rates which is where the NR wins out, particularly because of the noise output.

they both have a variety of variations to be explored clock wise. i think the NR has the ability to be more unstable and the BZ will give you a ton of control in comparison.

please take this all with a grain of salt though as i don't own the BZ yet. but that'll be the next module i get. i think for sequencing duties it's much more desirable. the NR is great though but i just want more ability to dial in variation which the BZ seems to allow. for sequencing i'm not to excited about an unstable clock. but i think for modulation unstable is awesome.

ultimately i think once i get the BZ i'll be using the NR almost purely for modulation duties which it soars at. especially when running through the MW for many different waveforms. of course that'll force me to get another MW strictly for quantizing the BZ, but hey two MW's are better than one. heh.
Kent
Not really similar at all.

It does double duty as a tunable voltage divider and a mini-sequencer. You can drive a sequence into the Mini-Wave for hot, double, quantized, love-long-time action. It also has its own Lag or Slew control on it for basic portamento functionality.

75% of the time, I use it to divide a clock down and make really cool trigger sequences that run in time with the rest of the music that I create that nobody ever hears.
Kwote
i'm not too sure about getting another NR. but i'm completely positive i'll be getting atleast 2 BZ's and MW's.
Kent
I hear ya. After typing my prior post, I start thinking that I need another one as I use it for triggering so often.
Kwote
Kent wrote:
I hear ya. After typing my prior post, I start thinking that I need another one as I use it for triggering so often.

i still hardly understand what's going on but there's a reason plord has two of em. shit is so jammin.

it's funny but i think i understand modules more when i own them myself and have time to focus purely on that specific module.
Cat-A-Tonic
They are completely different.
The Noise Ring is all about variable randomness.
It can yield random sequences, but you don't get much control over what it spits out; just how much variation and change there is to the pattern.

The Binary Zone is a weird sort of sequencer that (I think) evolved from the Frequency Divider.
It has 6 even # divisions maxing out at 64;
so you can get up to a 64 step sequence out of it.
It is one of the most immediately fun modules.

It is a great to pair it with the Mini-Wave for quantizing, and the Window Comparator for trigger, gates, and other modulations.
I find that trio essential in my rig.

The Hex Zone is a completely different type of sequencer.
Much more powerful (and with memory), but not as immediate.
They also make a great team.

You can of course make the Binary Zone do random things to its sequence by feeding it a random clock source like the Noise Ring or the Improbability Drive paired with the Window Comparator.
I put a track up on here a while ago to demonstrate this.

If you aren't into the idea of sequencing you can just think of the Binary Zone as a really unique, sculptable LFO.
I know how much you like LFOs.
D/A A/D
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

I know how much you like LFOs.

Its that obvious eh?.. Man... Mr. Green

So BZ sounds like a winner.
Kwote
that's the biggest key to all this stuff. modulation aka lfo's.

the mini wave sounds good as your main waveform but i think it sounds even more badass as a modulation source.

send the NR or BZ into it and the output to your filter cv and look out for some major good times!!
Kwote
let me just reiterate the NR is great for unpredictability but in a sense not quite.

if you listen for a bit is does basically repeat itself. so while you can dial in some real randomness it does become somewhat predictable.

my take on the BZ is you'll be able to dial in all kinds of variations with much more thought and control but because of being able to program up to 64 devisions the variations seem more endless than the NR.

the tempo instability is where the BZ lacks but as pointed out, insert the NR into the ext clock and your set.

so really you'll want both ultimately if your serious about coverting to the darkside of pure modular hellfire

Flamey Dead Banana
D/A A/D
Kwote wrote:

so really you'll want both ultimately if your serious about coverting to the darkside of pure modular hellfire

Flamey Dead Banana

I said nothing of converting... Just adding some more flavor to the pot.

Bananallama!
futuresoundsystems
Hi Alex! Mr. Green

If you want that kind of raw digital grit (think SID going ape) then the 555 Waveshaper's for you. Guitars into that thing go mental. Route several VCOs (different pitches) into it and it screams. For such a simplistic bit of electronics, it's awesome. Mr. Green Obviously, take out the CV input and you're back to a straight forward clock source smile
BananaPlug
More about the Binary Zone

To my ears the BZ output voltage will always step in a way that is clearly related to it's powers of two nature. On the other hand the binary counter is just selecting the which knob settings will be summed to the output so within this "Binary Zone" there are a lot of different patterns to be had. As another poster pointed out extracting triggers from the output is half the fun.

One feature not to be overlooked is the reset input. Control over the pattern is not real direct (not like a sequencer) but you can restart it anytime you want and it will do exactly the same thing each time. Paired up with a sequencer you can restart it at the start of the sequence and then whatever you come up with on the BZ will stay locked to the sequence.
D/A A/D
futuresoundsystems wrote:
Hi Alex! Mr. Green

If you want that kind of raw digital grit (think SID going ape) then the 555 Waveshaper's for you. Guitars into that thing go mental. Route several VCOs (different pitches) into it and it screams. For such a simplistic bit of electronics, it's awesome. Mr. Green Obviously, take out the CV input and you're back to a straight forward clock source smile

Can we see some pictures of your work man? I would really like to see some more pictures, I have only seen the Decade Counter.
Kwote
D/A A/D wrote:
Kwote wrote:

Flamey Dead Banana

I said nothing of converting... Just adding some more flavor to the pot.

Bananallama!

yeah.. well.... whatever. hihi
futuresoundsystems
D/A A/D wrote:
Hi Alex! Mr. Green

Can we see some pictures of your work man? I would really like to see some more pictures, I have only seen the Decade Counter.

Sure, might take a while though. :( I haven't got a camera at the moment but I'll probably be borrowing one soon - recent months have been very busy but now I'm pretty much free and totally back into the building circuit so expect a lot of new stuff soon (hopefully finished prototypes after I've got some orders out of the way grin ) The fact that half of my own modules are un-panelled at the moment doesn't help either (I'm repanneling and giving my modular a colour scheme I think... red on white anybody?)

I'm guessing you've seen the decent pics at the very end of that DC1 video?
D/A A/D

Yeah, but that's it... I am pretty sure I will be getting a 555 from you.
humanfaculties
Any plans to add a Blacet EG to your rig? Such a great module, though obviously not digital....it'll certainly give you those epic time ranges that Plan B's model 10 falls short on.
D/A A/D
humanfaculties wrote:
Any plans to add a Blacet EG to your rig? Such a great module, though obviously not digital....it'll certainly give you those epic time ranges that Plan B's model 10 falls short on.

I have a VCS for epic now... I have heard many good things about it, but I want to stick with things I intentionally left out of my euro setup - or are not available in euro.
Roycie Roller
D/A A/D wrote:
Hi Alex! Mr. Green

Sure, might take a while though. :( I haven't got a camera at the moment but I'll probably be borrowing one soon - recent months have been very busy but now I'm pretty much free and totally back into the building circuit so expect a lot of new stuff soon (hopefully finished prototypes after I've got some orders out of the way grin ) The fact that half of my own modules are un-panelled at the moment doesn't help either (I'm repanneling and giving my modular a colour scheme I think... red on white anybody?)

Red on white would look great! I also really like the pink acrylic on the decade counter (youtube vid). The digital oscillator sounds very interesting- is that one of the prototypes you hope to finish soon?
D/A A/D
The noose is tightening... Miniwaves are running out of stock... WHAT DO I DO??? very frustrating
Roycie Roller
Get one & worry about everything else later! Don't miss out!
D/A A/D
Roycie Roller wrote:
Get one & worry about everything else later! Don't miss out!

Well... I was having second thoughts about getting a modcan rig... But I can buy a power supply, rack and miniwave for 4 dollars more than just the modcan miniwave... d'oh!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2