Rene's Eurorack Journal ~

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Rene's Eurorack Journal ~

Post by dekemcculo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:04 pm

I enjoyed reading other people's threads like this (special shout out my involuntary mentor :hihi: starthief) that i figured i'd finally start my own!

bit of background – i'm a violinist (sort of) classically trained but mostly play irish music, but even that not so much recently. Got into making hip hop beats and remix type stuff in the computer - love the mundane precision work of chopping up samples but never loved working on the computer. youtube led me to bastl now i'm here.

kastl > shnth > 0-coast was my pre-eurorack phase in 2018, and then around the end of last year i supplemented my 0-coast with a popcorn sequencer and lil nerd. then i got a deal on the full mannequins suite, later adding teletype to really fall all the way down that rabbit hole :party: i have yet to crawl out!

here's a track I made with the below set up:

https://soundcloud.com/renegog/honeycomb

edit: this is my current set up not the same as the track, as modulargrid gets updated

I've got more modules than I have room for in my DIY 84hp, but the new case is in the mail hopefully will get here soon

this'll be my set up in the new 6U 70hp portable case on its way - everything bought used (BUY USED! TRADE!)

i've got one of those black bizmuth's on preorder, and planning to make an RIP as an output (right now using a dude mixer). I already know that I need an attenuator for JF 8V waves – planning to go with AI Synthesis' swithching attenuator down the line but for now I'll spare the cold mac and matrix channels and see how i get on ~

going to ireland for grad school in less than a month, so those things not pictured in the rack probably wont happen until christmas time or so. anyways that's enough for now :guinness: i will be back to show off my new case, no doubt, in the next couple weeks
Last edited by dekemcculo on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Post by oudplayer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:02 pm

Enjoyed the track, looking forward to where the journey takes you!

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:58 pm

wow a literal oud player! ^_^ thank you, enjoying your music right now - cheers!

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:49 pm

okay so some things have changed:

I've got a second mangrove along with a real RIP on its way. I've enjoyed the Dixie II+ just fine, I can't really say anything bad about it. But I guess I was spoiled by mangrove being my first oscillator... it just feels so much more natural and its simplicity is really appealing to me. Of course I can do whatever I want to the abundant waveshapes dixie gives, but in the relatively small instrument I'm building I'm not convinced Dixie is giving me what I need on its own to earn its keep. So I'm trying to sell it, and if I don't I think it will be on LFO duty with some FM experiments.

Also on the potential chopping block is triple sloth – I enjoy it sometimes, but I feel like I need to run it through a cold mac's slope in order to get it rectified then that's only a few nearly identical signals available and it's taking up cold mac real estate (which somehow still gets taken up even with two). And I remembered Teletype has a chaos operator which is limited but would give me as much as I'm using of this module... Anyways, I'd like more time with it in an ideal world, but I was originally planning on building one down the road when I got this one in a trade so it's a potentially on the way out.

Lastly the Doepfer a-138m is so so lovely, but it's a bit extra and I might prefer to downscale to the upcoming AI synthesis matrix mixer which is half the size... I'd lose one output channel but I'm almost always using one of the outputs as an offset voltage to w/ which i could get just as easily from teletype or cold macs. If no one takes it I'll keep it a bit longer.

Picking up my bizmuth tomorrow probably and going to see if the shop has an autodyne for me to test drive... considering that or a propust (or both) to use some store credit I've got. probably best to hold onto the store credit and give myself some time with my growing system.

also my case arrived and it's so beautiful !! but it got bumped around in travel (no damage to the outside thank god) but something got knocked out of whack in the power supply so the -12V isn't working :cry: anyways they're sending me a replacement soon so all me little friends can play together :party:

last thing (i mean it this time): been playing a lot with my grandpa and it's super fun but I'm really excited to load some of my own samples on there to mess with. The granular and shift speed stuff still brain melts me, and I can't always get it to loop when I want it too... but an offset voltage makes it loop too which is cool because I can modulate cold mac and macro control sample playback :party: hopefully negative voltages don't do anything bad (nothing bad has happened yet lol)

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:48 pm

here's my lil set up i'm taking with me :) modulargrid picture in my first post got updated which is annoying because this was not the set up i did that song with :P guess i gotta stick with photos and not modulargrid links!

bizmuth triggering just friends in lpg mode is fun, sort of like strumming ~ a lot more to explore with that...

i didn't sell anything i was perviously thinking about selling obviously – dixie is on LFO duty with sub as master clock. Seems like a waste of dixie and i'd probably prefer something like the uloaf down the road for this but sticking with it for now.

i fell back in love with triple sloth, i feel the magic now, it's not going anywhere. never fell out of love with the matrix mixer but yea it's staying and it might still get replaced by the AI one but probably not making too many changes to the set up for the next year so it would be in the future!

love love love RIP, don't quite understand why i can plug headphones straight into it and not get weird phase cancellation stuff in my ears, but I'm so so happy i can :guinness: it sounds great and it looks even better and if i get the chance to record or perform i have a rock solid output ^_^. i do want to experiment with using it as an input for my shnth... haven't tried it yet tho

:guinness: [/img]

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:14 pm

Here's another project journal. WARNING!: 5U content!

LINK = viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

Once you get to Page 3 (or so) jump to Page 7 for far (far!) more interesting progress. Between Pages 3 and 7 I went through a down and out period ... bit of an emotional crash over past events. So don't bore yourself with all of that. At Page 7 things pick up quite a lot. Lots of hand made one of a kind gear/cabinet mods/power distribution and so on.

Have fun.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:33 am

I've got a contour 1 on the way, seems like it can do everything dixie does for me and much much more – plus more control, more patch programmability, and the gate outputs for rise and fall seem like they'll be very useful in integrating it into the whole system.

The next step for me will be to start really building my own teletype scenes. So far I've been usually doing one-off sketches and then I always forget how to save so I don't :doh: one good outcome is I have to relearn over and over how to do things so hopefully that means they stick in my memory better. Been really enjoying the teletype talk series by joe filbrun over on youtube — useful for any teletype user, no doubt!

Every time I sit down at the modular I'm experimenting and trying new things. My goal is to make songs though, and it's really a matter of diving in at this point. I am not an expert yet by any stretch of the imagination, but I think there's a limit to how much continuing to experiment and learn is really helping compared to learning on the job. This is really more of a mindset change on my part than a practical change, but I'd like to get a bit more goal oriented and work towards starting a project like an album or mixtape.

Since my case has been full my desire for new modules has decreased significantly, I feel like I'm approaching a complete system. There's some things I'm still considering tweaking around the edges (other than contour 1 for dixie) like a couple of those AI synthesis attenuators & a pedal interface instead of the bizmuth.

One thing I've been considering though is fairfield circuitry pedals – their compressor, overdrive, delay, and "k-field modulator" (sort of a tremolo thing) are all very attractive to me :eek: can't afford them right now, but I can easily see my decision not to have effects in the rack turn into "tone chasing" in the effect pedals world... The w/ is my gateway I guess because of how much I use it as a destructive looper & delay :P Anyways first step down this rabbit hole will be building a DIY norns which I'll hopefully be able to do soon. Then we'll see where we go from there :twisted: maybe instead of being used as an effect it'll make me want a crow and then we'll really be in trouble :hihi:

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:16 pm

dekemcculo wrote:
One thing I've been considering though is fairfield circuitry pedals – their compressor, overdrive, delay, and "k-field modulator" (sort of a tremolo thing) are all very attractive to me :eek: can't afford them right now, but I can easily see my decision not to have effects in the rack turn into "tone chasing" in the effect pedals world... The w/ is my gateway I guess because of how much I use it as a destructive looper & delay :P Anyways first step down this rabbit hole will be building a DIY norns which I'll hopefully be able to do soon. Then we'll see where we go from there :twisted: maybe instead of being used as an effect it'll make me want a crow and then we'll really be in trouble :hihi:
great setup imo, don't ditch the doepfer matrix unless you really need the space, it's nice to have a few big playable modules when everything else is so packed.

On the note of effects;

You can do compression with a cold mac (and you have 2!)
You most probably do delay, chorus and so on and so forth with /w, right?
If the /w was like 10hp with just a couple of solid knobs it'd be the best module in the ever.

Trem and ring modulation is covered by VCA's and LFO's!
And before you go for pedal distortion (which is, let's be honest, super great) try some feedback patching for distortion, it's pretty crazy good and readily available.

How's the teletype workflow btw?

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:54 pm

vidret wrote: On the note of effects;

You can do compression with a cold mac (and you have 2!)
You most probably do delay, chorus and so on and so forth with /w, right?
If the /w was like 10hp with just a couple of solid knobs it'd be the best module in the ever.

Trem and ring modulation is covered by VCA's and LFO's!
And before you go for pedal distortion (which is, let's be honest, super great) try some feedback patching for distortion, it's pretty crazy good and readily available.
Yes you're so right! I've done a bit of most of these things (aside from doing a tremolo end of chain that could be interesting... I've played with w/'s tape warbly settings but could be cool to try a more trad trem especially with sloths modulating contour 1 or something :o) thanks for these tips!

As far as distortion I've gotten a LOT of goodness with the a-138m doing feedback stuff — between the cold macs the matrix mixer and three sisters and then overdriving RIP ... endless fun. And definitely I don't think I'll ditch the matrix mixer it's worth the space and the option for offsets from the top row and bipolar/unipolar switches are just too useful.
vidret wrote:How's the teletype workflow btw?
The learning curve has maybe been a bit long for me, although I'd attribute that to my total unfamiliarity with coding as a paradigm, and moving/going to school taking up a lot of time. That being said, it's exactly what i wanted and what I need to make a system like this work like an instrument. Once I got the basic philosophy down, I've found it mostly pretty intuitive. It definitely demands that you think in a certain way, but within that realm it offers seemingly unlimited potential. The ability to not only sequence (my primary use-case) but also create interactions opens up a lot of possibilities for anything from straight-up patch-recall to organic ever-changing ecosystems. More to the point about the workflow, most of what I've been doing has been playing with the scenes that come preloaded or basically live-coding. I'm not sure I'd do live-coding in a performance, I think I'd prefer to pre-construct scenes and then perform them, but my point is the workflow is simple and intuitive enough to make live-coding with it viable. And I definitely still consider myself a novice so I only imagine that capacity will only grow :)

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:12 pm

I’ve looked at it several times but I’d feel stupid if I went t into eurorack to get away from the computer and then get a module that put me back into coding :lol:

It’s not the same as the computer though, but still. :ripbanana:
The sequencer of choice might become a teletype further down the road.

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:57 am

thanks to vidret 's tips, I've experimented more with intentionally building those effects in my modular to great success! I had tried those things before but the reminder was crucial in making me think of those things as "effects". It is interesting how thin the line between effect and sound is in the modular environment. And sending feedback through a cold mac patched up as a compressor is so rich and tasty :guinness:

The simplicity of w/ as a looper & delay is really satisfying—i still don't know all the key combos to utilize a lot of the other functions, but it's 2hp makes it very easy for it to earn its keep, and it does earn its keep many times over!

The contour 1 that was supposed to be mine got sent to the wrong former colony by royal mail :hihi: so it ended up on the other side of the globe and is being returned to sender, who very kindly reimbursed me. I plan to repurchase down the road, either from them if it returns in good condition or from elsewhere. No rush, but I still believe it'll fit better in my system than the dixie.

the teletype learning continues, but I can feel myself approaching things that feel like "songs" or at the very least feel like performable "sets". One of my resolutions for next year is to perform at a local open mic with this and to record a sixtape. The feeling of progress is good and wanted to write it here so when I feel like I'm not making any progress in a few days I can look back at this :hihi: :party:

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Rene's Eurorack Journal ~

Post by hinterlands303 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:14 am

Are you feeling that the a-138m is still worth the space? I’m deciding between the AI Synthesis matrix mixer and the Doepfer one and while I’d much prefer the bipolar design I’d have to shift things around quite a bit to fit the Doepfer (meaning I’d have to sell some modules).

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Re: Rene's Eurorack Journal ~

Post by dekemcculo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:55 pm

hinterlands303 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:14 am
Are you feeling that the a-138m is still worth the space? I’m deciding between the AI Synthesis matrix mixer and the Doepfer one and while I’d much prefer the bipolar design I’d have to shift things around quite a bit to fit the Doepfer (meaning I’d have to sell some modules).
yes, I think it's worth the space for my purposes, but in another context I could see the AI being a very attractive option. To be honest, I don't use the bipolar aspect that much in my system, I use up almost all the channels mixing and feeding back sound sources about 80% of the time but it is very nice to have the bipolar option the other 20% of the time and the offset that the top row offer are handy when my cold mac's are busy. Since I'm using it as my main mixer I wouldn't want to sacrifice the added precision of larger knobs for the extra space, so somewhat ironically I think the AI one seems most appealing for CV mixing anyways to me! Might be worth reaching out to Abe at AI to see if there's a mod you could do to make it bipolar :despair: I'm not knowledgeable at all on that but since it's DIY maybe there's some way to adjust it to be bipolar, it wouldn't be able to switch between the setting though—if it's even possible in the first place. You could ask in the DIY forum here too!

I came to the realization that, while 20hp is a lot, the performative aspect of turning knobs on the mixer is more than I could get out of two modules in that space. It matters a lot to me to be able to ~play~ my system, but of course different people will have different definitions of what's "playable", how "playable" they really need their system to be or which parts of their system need to be "playable". So YMMV

Return to “Eurorack Modules”