MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is there such a module/pedal/analyzer...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Is there such a module/pedal/analyzer...
Homepage Englisch
I'm looking for a...thing that will analyze incoming audio and the complexity of it's waveform. Spectral analyzer, I suppose.

What am I getting at: let's say you have a guitar on the input. The unit would "recognize" that if I play only one note or simple 5th intervals it's relatively simple waveform. But the moment I hit C#min7add9- chord it will recognize it as a much more complex waveform and act accordingly (with some CV output).

Practical application - one example: while playing monophonic lines overdrive gain will be high, but the moment I hit a jazzy chord it will recognize a messy waveform and CV would decrease the amount of distortion to almost zero, in order to preserve clean tone and nuances of a complex chord.

It doesn't need to analyze what polyphonic notes are being played exactly - just that the waveform is getting more complex.

Following that logic, it would also react to a classical filter sweep and many more scenarios.

The open question is how simple is simple waveform? I assume there should be some knob for "threshold" or "sensitivity".

Something like envelope follower, but not quite. Is there such a thing?
cornutt
Hmm. Interesting idea. My first thought is to run the guitar through a highpass filter, and then put an envelope follower on the output of that.
dkcg
Not the most elegant in the box solution, but you could have MaxMSP analyze your signal, do whatever math you want then send out a signal that can be used as a CV control created by Max. Basically, setup your computer and Max as a spectral analysis and transformation matrix CV generator (since you could create multiple outputs from the analysis).

A Hi-pass sorta might work, but that's gonna just take frequencies and filter out lower ones, it won't take into account the complexity of a signal the way a spectral analyzer would. Can't think of any FFT analysis modules outside of using a Buchla 296 to analyze the signals, then use the individual frequency CV outputs, add them together, the higher the result of adding them all, the more complex a signal you have. But that one module is gonna cost more than a computer, audio interface, and Max license.

Maybe if there's something in the euro world that does what the 296 does...
Homepage Englisch
dkcg wrote:
Not the most elegant in the box solution, but you could have MaxMSP analyze your signal, do whatever math you want then send out a signal that can be used as a CV control created by Max. Basically, setup your computer and Max as a spectral analysis and transformation matrix CV generator (since you could create multiple outputs from the analysis).

A Hi-pass sorta might work, but that's gonna just take frequencies and filter out lower ones, it won't take into account the complexity of a signal the way a spectral analyzer would. Can't think of any FFT analysis modules outside of using a Buchla 296 to analyze the signals, then use the individual frequency CV outputs, add them together, the higher the result of adding them all, the more complex a signal you have. But that one module is gonna cost more than a computer, audio interface, and Max license.

Maybe if there's something in the euro world that does what the 296 does...

I was thinking something along those lines, FFT analysis with probably quite a lot processing power. Some pedal makers already went that route (I heard lot of Eventide engineers went to work for EHX), they're making polyphonic tremolos, synth pedals which are retriggering polyphonically etc. But if they ever produce such unit, it will probably not have a CV output, rather be an integral part of dynamic distortion or something.

So yes, unless somebody makes a clever eurorack unit (Rossum?) I guess software is the way to go.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1