MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Why on Earth are oct ranges on synths with 2 VCOs different
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Why on Earth are oct ranges on synths with 2 VCOs different
Homepage Englisch
You've seen this before. Analog synth with two VCO's and octave range selector reading in pipe organ footage: 32 16 8.
Oscillator 2 will have a selector 16 8 4.

Why? To extend the range? Fake a sub oscillator? I can't think of one redeeming quality of this layout that can not be covered with identical but wider range for both oscillators: 32 16 8 4 2.

Not all the synths have this feature, but plenty of them do, even modern ones.

Is this some remnant of additive synthesis from the Hammond organ era?
dumbledog
If I had to guess I'd say because a wider range requires tighter tolerances for the linear to exponential converters, among other things. That increases cost.

Hella low paired sawtooth waveforms kinda sound like muddy crap to me anyway but that's just me seriously, i just don't get it
Blingley
I mean more options is always better, so if both could have 5 octave range that'd be nice, but if 3 octaves / oscillator is all I'm going to get, I'd rather have 32/16/8 and 16/8/4 than 2x 32/16/8.
calaveras
It's a cost saving feature. Same as analog synths that ad a sub osc instead of another osc.
Also I've built a few osc kits and I can testify that it is indeed much easier to have an Osc be tuned and stable over 3 octaves than 5. Much easier!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1