MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Glenn Gould On the Moog Synthesizer - 1969
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Glenn Gould On the Moog Synthesizer - 1969
JohnLRice
Very interesting audio documentary/interviews, well worth the listen if you haven't heard it before. thumbs up

Spotted on MATRIXSYNTH here:
https://www.matrixsynth.com/2019/08/glenn-gould-on-moog-synthesizer.ht ml

0:00 Ken Haslam introduction
0:56 Glenn Gould introducion
5:25 On the Moog Synthesizer: interviews with W. Carlos and Jean Le Moyne
42:06 Glenn Gould conclusion
45:09 Ken Haslam credits
45:26 Ken Haslam introduces J.G. Parr [James Gordon Parr (May 26, 1927 – April 28, 2000)]
45:55 Parr lecture
59:52 Ken Haslam conclusion
electricanada
Gould's opening rant is prime Morphagene/Radio Music food.
JohnLRice
electricanada wrote:
Gould's opening rant is prime Morphagene/Radio Music food.
hihi thumbs up
jorg
I've never heard Walter's voice before (not before becoming Wendy). Incredibly rare find! My earliest musical hero.

I'm imagining a piece that mashes up a reading of "We have sound-houses" by Sir Francis Bacon, with Walter Carlos describing his synth and its technology.
JohnLRice
In case this was TLDL (Too Long Didn't Listen) make sure at least to listen to the section from 24:25 to 27:10 because you can hear bits of one of my most favorite pieces of electronic music ever by anyone, Carlos' original version of "Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major - Second Movement" love It's is an improvised movement as originally written "For the second movement of Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 Bach provided only two chords for musicians to improvise over."

When the album was reissued at a later date (maybe it was 25th anniversary redone release? hmmm..... ) the Brandenburg 2nd movement was replaced with something terribly safe and boring, in my opinion, probably intended to provide an album that wouldn't frighten tiny minded morons! meh angry very frustrating Actually the whole Switched On Bach 2000 was completely redone with all new performances and all (?) digital synths and is so bland it's barely listenable to me. Take a peice of white bread and pour a little room temperature milk on it and your eating experience might be about the same as your listening experience with SOB 2000! Sorry to be harsh but I just want people to make sure if they are going to try to obtain a copy of the original SOB album that they get the wonderful original and don't spend more than a couple bucks on the 25th anniversary edition.
electricanada
jorg wrote:
I've never heard Walter's voice before (not before becoming Wendy). Incredibly rare find! My earliest musical hero.

I'm imagining a piece that mashes up a reading of "We have sound-houses" by Sir Francis Bacon, with Walter Carlos describing his synth and its technology.

Nah, don't do that; he'll sue your ass in no time (Walter/Wendy, I mean, not Francis).
jorg
electricanada wrote:
jorg wrote:

Nah, don't do that; he'll sue your ass in no time (Walter/Wendy, I mean, not Francis).

She probably doesn't own the rights, but whoever does could sue I suppose. That is, if they can find one track with 4 listeners buried in SoundCloud....
cornutt
JohnLRice wrote:

When the album was reissued at a later date (maybe it was 25th anniversary redone release? hmmm..... ) the Brandenburg 2nd movement was replaced with something terribly safe and boring, in my opinion, probably intended to provide an album that wouldn't frighten tiny minded morons! meh angry very frustrating

You'll be happy to know that the SOB boxed set restores the 2nd movement in all of its zingy glory. There's a bunch of commentary from Wendy too, and she mentions that piece as being one where she wasn't sure what to do with it, so she decided it would be a place where she could "let her hair down" patch-wise.
JohnLRice
cornutt wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

When the album was reissued at a later date (maybe it was 25th anniversary redone release? hmmm..... ) the Brandenburg 2nd movement was replaced with something terribly safe and boring, in my opinion, probably intended to provide an album that wouldn't frighten tiny minded morons! meh angry very frustrating

You'll be happy to know that the SOB boxed set restores the 2nd movement in all of its zingy glory. There's a bunch of commentary from Wendy too, and she mentions that piece as being one where she wasn't sure what to do with it, so she decided it would be a place where she could "let her hair down" patch-wise.
thumbs up
Dcramer
We Canadians were a far more interesting bunch back then Dead Banana
electricanada
jorg wrote:

She probably doesn't own the rights, but whoever does could sue I suppose. That is, if they can find one track with 4 listeners buried in SoundCloud....

Not owning the rights didn’t stop her from harassing you tubers who dared record synth versions of Bach. That was truly shameful behavior.
Aaaaaalejandro
Quite rare find love
chuckg
Anybody else seeing Rod Serling in their mind during Glenn's intro?
JohnLRice
Welcome to Muff's, Aaaaaalejandro w00t

Indeed chuckg! hihi
umma gumma
that was pretty neat, thx for posting!

Glen Gould sure crams a lot of words into 4 minutes

wish there was more music in there though: sure is hard to listen to all that '60's intellectual verbal diarrhea
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1