MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Octatrack questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Octatrack questions
Bonobo
Looking for a bit of advice from those who already have/use an octatrack with euro for live jams.

I've setup Ableton on my laptop with some effectracks/return tracks etc so that I can play a euro signal into ableton and it splits it into two return tracks, one with a looper running and one dry, then I've midi mapped a fader to turn one down/the other up like a ghetto crossfader and mapped the looper buttons to midi buttons.

Essentially I can play the eurorack in, send it to the looper and record a bar, then fade so that bar is playing fairly seemlessly (say a kick), then alter the euro signal and bring that in so the original bar and the live signal play (kick from looper and bass live from euro), then overdub the current eurorack signal into looper and fade back to the looper so the new recording of the kick and the bass together are both playing from the looper recording, modify the euro signal and so on...

This is pretty freaking awesome. It has some issues though.

1) the timing with latency in ableton isn't quite dead on and so it feels a tiny fraction 'off' depending on the material.

2) When I build up a kickass little groove in the looper, I then have no where to go because all I can fade it into is the single euro signal, so it goes from a full on banging techno loop to a kick or a single synth line or whatever.

So what I want to be able to do is-
1) Do the above with perfect timing.

2) When I record a 'loop', say my kick, assign it to a different channel so I can have my 4 parts spread over 4 channels which I can control independently rather than layer them all and sandwhich them into a single looper so its 'all or nothing'.

Will an octatrack let me do those things?
jabberwalky
Yes, in a way.

You can have the octa record 8 independent tracks with flex machines, any of which can also resample themselves or other tracks to bounce down (i.e. have track 5 record tracks 1-4, by sending those tracks to "CUE" and track 5 recording the CUE output)

Midi should have no timing issues coupled with quantized record.

The crossfade trick will allow you to fade from what you're hearing to any recorded tracks. With up to 16 fade variations (scenes)

It's possible. Will it be easy and intuitive? Ehhh. It would take some getting used to. It's possible to map the record buttons via midi, but the crossfader is not midi mappable as far as I'm aware.

I'm relatively new to the Octatrack so I'm sure a veteran could chime in on the best workflow.

Something like an EHX45000 might be more what you're looking for.
phats
I'm not 100% on what you're after but I'm pretty sure you can find a way to swing it.

If you set track 1-4 as thru machines using flex buffers 1-4
set track 5-8 as flex machines to play back flex buffers 1-4

- Start off with everything muted cept track 1
- Play your euro and record a bar on track 1, will be recorded to flex buffer 1
- Mute track one and unmute track 5, which will start playing back what was recorded into flex buffer 1.

Repeat using track 2 to record to flex buffer 2, then mute t2/unmute track 6 to play back what was recorded in flex 2. And so on for 3 and 4.

This way you can record the separate parts into separate loops and control what is playing and when.

Tip one would be set QREC to PLEN in the recorder setup, so when you are ready to record loop one, you hold T1 and press INAB (say), and next time the pattern loops round it will start recording from step 1.

Tip two would be to look at parts, which can contain the machine settings for each track.

A simple example is as above, with T1 set as a thru machine recording to flex buffer 1 on Part 1.
Then in Part 2, set T1 to be a flex machine to play back flex buffer 1.

You could then switch parts to alternate between thru/euro in monitoring, or playing back whats been recorded in the flex buffer.

A neat thing is that patterns will remember parts. So if pattern 1 is setup to use part 1, and pattern 2 is setup to use part 2, you can switch patterns to switch between monitoring and playing back, without having to manually fade or worry about doing the pattern/part switching manually in time.
shred
you may want to check out Ricky Tinez newest video where he does something similar
Octatrack Smooth Transition tutorial
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1