MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Korg Electribe ER-1: New Firmware (Electribe Shaman)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Korg Electribe ER-1: New Firmware (Electribe Shaman)
TS
Features include custom sample loading and sending/receiving MIDI CC. More updates coming, but you can request features on the their website forum.

Official Website Link

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVG6MOvNVZo[/video]
CoreInside
That's very cool.
Astrolabe23
Does anyone know if something like this exists for the Electribe EM-1 ?
anselmi
I need a new ESX-1 firmware with upgraded features
jabberwalky
MIDI CC of the Electribe ES1 would be excellent as well! Those samples were always my main issue with the ER1 since the 909ish stock sounds were not my thing. Otherwise, a wonderful machine, with a ton of tonal variation.
IR
anselmi wrote:

Like what? It already has CC for the knobs and you can already use your own samples.

I don't personally care about CCs on the ER-1, it's cool to control the filters of external gear with the EMX-1 and ESX-1 synth tracks, and that's already possibly with the stock machines.

I guess the user samples feature for the ER-1 is pretty cool.
Red Electric Rainbow
IR wrote:

Doesn’t this basically make it an ES-1?

Besides, it always sounded fine the way it was. It has its own charm. And besides, with everything available right now, this kinda seems like more worth than its worth. Either way, bang it!
TS
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
IR wrote:

Besides, I always sounded fine the way it was. It has its own charm. And besides, with everything available right now, this kinda seems like more worth than its worth. Either way, bang it!

Not really, no. ES-1 holds way more samples and longer ones.

I love mine and will not part with it. So, expanding its functionality is worth it to me Mr. Green

I use mine a bit differently than most, though.
c0rpse
IR wrote:
anselmi wrote:

Like what? It already has CC for the knobs and you can already use your own samples.

The main thing it could use is a refresh of the step edit mode for modifying the motion sequences. One closer to the method found on the Monologue and Minilogue XD. Other than that, it is still one of the coolest most well thought out grooveboxes of all time.

The user Sauce on youtube is still coming up with and documenting new techniques for working with it if you need some fresh ESX inspiration.
Red Electric Rainbow
TS wrote:
IR wrote:

Besides, I always sounded fine the way it was. It has its own charm. And besides, with everything available right now, this kinda seems like more worth than its worth. Either way, bang it!

Not really, no. ES-1 holds way more samples and longer ones.

I love mine and will not part with it. So, expanding its functionality is worth it to me Mr. Green

I use mine a bit differently than most, though.

So its basically a weaker version? Maybe I’m missing something here, idk. I’ve gone through a few them and they always seemed pretty capable the way they already are. But yeah, if you love it, hold it close.
anselmi
IR wrote:
anselmi wrote:

See, the ESX is divided in just 3 MIDI channels.

Drums 1-7, the stretch parts and the slice part share the same MIDI channel, while melodic parts 1 and 2 have the other 2.

The melodic parts use standard CC for their parameters, while the others use NRPN that very few controllers support

I´d prefer to have an independent MIDI channel per part and plain CC for the parameters in each one

c0rpse wrote:
The main thing it could use is a refresh of the step edit mode for modifying the motion sequences. One closer to the method found on the Monologue and Minilogue XD. Other than that, it is still one of the coolest most well thought out grooveboxes of all time.

yep...like elektron´s p-locks

Also: different pattern length per track

Other stuff that could be better:

LFO retrigger ON/OFF switch. Now the LFO retriggers with any note in all waveforms but the triangle wave, which is far from convenient.

loop in stereo files

gate length in the drum tracks

arpeggiator with different time division other than 16th, maybe controlled by the ribbon/fader instead of control the note lenght

better reverb? it really sucks!
IR
IR wrote:

No.

You can't change the samples for the bass drum, snare or toms. You can't put the delay on drum sounds individually. You don't get the extra effects. No filter. So not much like an ES-1.
jabberwalky
The ER1 is mostly an FM synth with 4 voices of 2 OPs each. Korg took the DNA from the ER1 and put it into the new Volca drum which has 6 FM drum parts and more waveforms. The samples were just an additional 90's feature to appeal to basic dance producers.
anselmi
jabberwalky wrote:
The ER1 is mostly an FM synth with 4 voices of 2 OPs each. Korg took the DNA from the ER1 and put it into the new Volca drum which has 6 FM drum parts and more waveforms. The samples were just an additional 90's feature to appeal to basic dance producers.

indeed

being more complex the volca drum lacks some of the immediate approach of the ER-1...those "sequentially rotating" parameter settings are not the best way to edit sounds
Panason
Hmm, I was thinking of getting an ER-1 for years during my long break from wiggling. In the end I thought it would probably sound too much like a digital 90s box.
I love the looks and the way it's laid out. I remember enjoying it when I tried it in a shop. The possibilty of custom firmware has just put it back on my radar...

the Electribe Shaman says :
Quote:
Born in the nineties it is still being used and sworn by many musicians almost two decades later in spite of serious flaws that have been plaguing it.

what are the flaws? (Ok, apart from the silicone buttons Dead Banana )
jabberwalky
anselmi wrote:

indeed

being more complex the volca drum lacks some of the immediate approach of the ER-1...those "sequentially rotating" parameter settings are not the best way to edit sounds

Definitely agree. It's sad how it's all crippled behind that interface. It does have a decent CC list though, so using an external sequencer could really open it up.

VOLCA DRUM CC CHART

Monotremata
The ER-1 has Bit Reduction and Wavefolding???? Is this hidden or is that a typo or is that from the Volca Drum?? I just looked to see if Ive missed a knob or button all these years but WTF?

I don't know, the OS sounds neat but that's almost what I paid for the ER-1 brand new heh. As much as Ive actually used it over the years, I dont think anything I put into it is going to make me use it every day.
jabberwalky
It's the Volca Drum cc chart. Makes me want to get one and sequence with the Octatrack. Could be very interesting.
legionhwp
The ER1 is still the wolf’s balls. Nothing I’ve used sounds quite like it or is the same way to use. So simple, yet so powerful. I love that they didn’t put another lame resonant filter in and instead went with a crazy LFO modulation section. It can do all sorts of freakish circuit bent sounds, basic XOXish stuff, and great spacey psychedelic beats.

In 2006 I used it exclusively for an ultra minimal acid set. (One drum machine, one synth no effects, all old school live ) free stream here to get an idea of what it can do in it’s natural state:

https://davidtalento.bandcamp.com/album/acid-2006

Not sure if I’d need these upgrades (I have an es1 and TR8s) but if it makes anyone pick up an ER1 and jam on it I’mm all in favor nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1