MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY:RE The Colour format: are they worth to buy?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author DIY:RE The Colour format: are they worth to buy?
johny_gtr
I'd like to add some coloring modules to my bedroom studio and don't spend so much (modular GAS is still active)

Small 500 format case (for 6 units) and full DIY kits looks interesting, especially these ones:
https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/collections/colour?page=1

affordable clones of coloring section from famous consoles, eqs and compressors + tape sims.

unfortunately only youtube videos that can't provide clear vision of changes in sounds thought the module.

Maybe you have your personal experience/demos and can share it with us.

Thank you.
fonfroggin
ive wanted to do this for a while, but the cost of cases has kept me out considering how inexpensive the colour modules are by comparison. Have you seen the eurorack verson that can house the colour modules? they stopped making them but I think you can still buy some new from the manufacturer online. I believe there was an advantage to the eurorack module, if memory serves it was the ability to buy two of the same colour and process something in stereo
johny_gtr
fonfroggin wrote:
ive wanted to do this for a while, but the cost of cases has kept me out considering how inexpensive the colour modules are by comparison. Have you seen the eurorack verson that can house the colour modules? they stopped making them but I think you can still buy some new from the manufacturer online. I believe there was an advantage to the eurorack module, if memory serves it was the ability to buy two of the same colour and process something in stereo


I've seen it (and forgot about it). I doubt that these 2 PCB module + colour module with transformers can be fitted into intellijel skiff.

I'm interesting how good transformer based colour things and tube-less pultec clones.

Case is the major issue, but I try to find some used and cheap. Anyway it will be so less money and space.
coolshirtdotjpg
I have them and love them, I think it ends up being worth it if you like to swap in colours and try out different tones without having to get use to a whole new interface/wiring setup.
poppinger
johny_gtr wrote:
I've seen it (and forgot about it). I doubt that these 2 PCB module + colour module with transformers can be fitted into intellijel skiff.


I have two of the Black Market Colours Euro modules in an Intelljel 7U case. One of them has the CTX Cinemag, the TM79 and the Bark HRK Line Driver (which is an API-ish line amp with a transformer.) Those are the three "tallest" colour modules that I have and they all fit fine with room to spare. The actual colour circuits are not as big as they look from the pictures on the website.
oisin
ive also been tempted by these many times but would love to hear some good demos. any links out there that people have found to be properly representative?
rowsbywoof
If you’re interested in taking the plunge on 500 series stuff, watch for used Radial cases on Reverb or the Bay. I swear, for some reason the Radial stuff can be found dirt cheap used. I saw a 8 slot Workhorse with the summing mixer included for around $450 last month and almost snapped it up just out of principle. I picked up a Radial Workhorse Cube used for $200 that I built out as the perfect little channel strip. Thing is an absolute tank. They are killer for getting into the 500 series modules on the cheap in a quality case. Not sure why they’re so cheap used, but if I see another 8 slot with mixer for sub $500, I’m getting it, next time.
johny_gtr
poppinger wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:
I've seen it (and forgot about it). I doubt that these 2 PCB module + colour module with transformers can be fitted into intellijel skiff.


I have two of the Black Market Colours Euro modules in an Intelljel 7U case. One of them has the CTX Cinemag, the TM79 and the Bark HRK Line Driver (which is an API-ish line amp with a transformer.) Those are the three "tallest" colour modules that I have and they all fit fine with room to spare. The actual colour circuits are not as big as they look from the pictures on the website.

thank you for the answer.
Are you satisfied with Cinemags? Have you tried them as 'final outs' (without Intellijel outs or any other) Is the difference subtle or not?
poppinger
I have not tried them as final outs, but I suspect it would work as well anything else. The CTX colour is definitely subtle, but you can really crank the gain on it for some noticeable saturation.

If you're interested in a final out for euro, I'd also keep an eye out for the Mannequins RIP which is basically just two Cinemag transformers with minijack inputs and 1/4 outputs (or vice versa, you can run audio the other direction too).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group