MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help with an 0-coast/DFAM based 6u/104 case
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Help with an 0-coast/DFAM based 6u/104 case
seta666
Hello,
I got into modular world quite recently; I started with a Neutron and DFAM and added few things.
I work a with a computer and also stand alone; anything from experimental/IDM to Dark/industrial techno
My actual set up looks like this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/971780

But I decided to sell the Neutron (despite people complaining about behringer is what got me into modular),; although has lots of patching options the overall sound is not for me . I even end up using the DFAM more for synth sounds. I will also sell the hexinverter Mutant brain; 0-coast has midi, I also own a Korg SQ-1 and my audio interface (presonus studio 1810) can send CV. So I am served (Mutant brain was the first one of these).
I also own a Bastl Kastle V1.5 I am selling too; I barely use it.

I have just bought an 0-coast ( I really like the way it sounds) and a mutable instruments links

I am considering two options, either move to a smaller 84hp case or keep the 104hp one (although there will be quite a lot of empty space for a while)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/972345

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/914436

So, so far I own and will keep DFAM, 0-coast, Maths, ALM-06 (really useful if you own guitar pedals) Disting MK4, and links. I also own a Korg SQ-1, Volca Kick and Volca Drum and a Kaoss Pad 3. The mixer is a Behringer QX1204USB
I will probably add a behringer crave (low cost alternative to Mother 32, which pairs well with DFAM) and a Roland TR8S(I prefer a Drum Machine over a sampler like Digitakt, and can not afford Analog Rytm)

I plan to add a VCA (either Intellijel uVCA/Quad VCA or Veils), maybe kinks. I do not want to add many modules at once, I have just scratched the surface of maths and Disting Mk4.

What modules do you think I should or could add to this set up first (I hear Pamela´s workout, ModDemix, and other)..maybe add the VCA/quad VCA or wait, what other utilities ..maybe another filter?

The whole budget to fill the case would be another 1000€ ..I know there is lots of interesting stuff, I just can not afford it. I do not mind (In fact I prefer) to buy second hand and/or old/mkI versions

Regards
Javier
Agawell
my advice don't buy anything else that makes sounds - at least for a very long while - you don't need it

and keep the 6u 104hp case you will need it eventually

go the quad vca, kinks route and then stop and play and play until you understand how it all works and then slowly add modules

instead of having a 1000 to finish a case - realise it is never finished and just go slowly, have fun and enjoy what you have, make decisions about what to buy with an educated eye and ear and not just - hey it's the new trendy thing

and always always look at doepfer/ladik (and diy if you can) over new trendy modules - if you break down a lot of them - then you can often replicate for less cash - might take up more space, but that can be relatively cheap
cg_funk
seta666 wrote:
Hello,
I plan to add a VCA (either Intellijel uVCA/Quad VCA or Veils), maybe kinks. I do not want to add many modules at once, I have just scratched the surface of maths and Disting Mk4.

What modules do you think I should or could add to this set up first (I hear Pamela´s workout, ModDemix, and other)..maybe add the VCA/quad VCA or wait, what other utilities ..maybe another filter?

Your VCA plan is good. Those are all great options!

I don't think you need Kinks, just learn to patch your Maths to do those things.

I really like clock dividers and tempo-synced LFOs. A clock divider with Batumi is a powerful combo. PNW is like clock divider+LFO in one, but with menus, so it's not a bad idea if you can handle the interface.

Bipolar VCAs are killer to have. ModDemix is one option, but it does have some distortion (love/hate for some). I have MI Blinds for mine, and it's doubling as a standard VCA (that's harder to zero out). The bipolarVCA is a really useful tool for processing CV.

If I were to go at it again, I'd maybe also look at other CV processing modules. There are a bunch of cool new ones out in the last year.

Lastly, I highly recommend a joystick controller, they are just so fun and awesome. Planar2 is the best one, and it's expensive, but worth it!
seta666
Thanks for the advice, so:

- I will keep the 104hp case, with time it will full..
- I will start with VCA plus links I already got.

If I moved to a smaller case I would have chosen a uVCA, but keeping the 6u 104hp case I will probably go for Intellijel quad VCA or Veils; if you can recomend other low cost alternative would be welcome.

Would something like Moddemix still make sense if getting a quad VCA?

PNW will remain in the wish list for now, but it is something I have in mind

Batumi looks nice but Maths covers LFOs for now, a clock divider would be nice though

What Doepfer/Ladik modules do you think are worth looking at?, for my set up I mean.

I was also thinking of a wave shaper, but 0-coast seems to cover that as well

a filter is something I would like to add too, either acidic or weird, the doepfer wasp filter looks nice..(I know IC blows easily, but they are cheap)

Regards
Javier
electricanada
seta666 wrote:

Batumi looks nice but Maths covers LFOs for now, a clock divider would be nice though

I was also thinking of a wave shaper, but 0-coast seems to cover that as well

a filter is something I would like to add too, either acidic or weird, the doepfer wasp filter looks nice..(I know IC blows easily, but they are cheap)

O-coast wave shaper doesn't have an external input, unfortunately.

Maths can be a clock divider, but you have to tune the division by ear.
seta666
Well, I did not realize 0-coast could not mess with audio inputs, that is a shame. I do not really understand some of the decisions MN took with 0-coast. If the made the case 12v and standard eurorack format they would have sold a lot more of them.

- Clock divider can wait..I was using mutant brain triggers to send different clock divisions. I may add a simple clock divider isf I see I really miss it

- Of the VCAs which ones can you recommend apart of Veils and Intellijel´s one? Maybe also Blinds instead?

My preference is second hand, Intellijel´s does not show much. What about the doepfer alternatives, any one worth looking at. I do not mind starting with one with less features and swap in the future. One good thing about Eurorack is that second hand market is really alive

For now I will stick to that, Links, VCA and maybe a wasp filter if I find it second hand at fair price

Also; I have just scratched the surface of Disting MK4..what functions do you think should I look at first? which ones will be more useful and/or fill more gaps in my set up?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/972345

Regards
Javier
nios
As it stands your rack can go to several places really, up to you. Some people are more concerned with trying to get a lot of overall studio functions all crammed into their rack - extensive percussion and sequencing functions/redundancy, for composing entire tracks all on-board etc for live shows and such. It seems, you're not too concerned with that, which makes you more presumably all about the pure sound timbres and their sculpting.

So if it's all about the sound ultimately, maybe take it slow and prioritize the absolute top-of-the-line sound sources/filters/modulation etc. It would be more expensive than finding just whatever technically does (role) and is the cheapest, yeah, but you also don't have a lot of extra space to experiment with random simpler modules anyway, so might as well use some of the absolute nicest stuff around to make your rig punch high above its weight.

Some suggestions, in no particular importance, although it looks like interesting modulation sources are the widest-open spot -

Modulation: Xaoc Zadar, Mutable Instruments Stages, MI Tides/Tides 2 (also works fantastic as an extra osc), Xaoc Batumi, Frap Tools Sapel

Filters: SSF Stereo Dipole, Xaoc Belgrad, System 80 Jove, VSL VCF-74 Mk2, Make Noise MMG

Waveshaping: VSL AWM-3, Doepfer A-137-1, MI Warps, Intellijel uFold, AJH Wave Swarm, AJH V-shape

Sound sources: MI Plaits (also works nice as the clone Knit in 6HP), IME Hertz Donut or Piston Honda MkIII, Intellijel Rubicon 2

I feel I should throw in that Meng Qi DPLPG is also a really great little thing too for filling in a spare 2hp. This is fun!
seta666
Thanks for the suggestions ..I will sure look them up.

I found a MI Veils second hand and bought it..With 0-coast, Veils and links I am done for now.

I will try to get deeper into Maths and disting mk4 and from that I will see where to go next.

Thank you all
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1