MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Teensy's Analog vs Digital Ground
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Teensy's Analog vs Digital Ground
gtrmstr53
Quick and probably dumb question. I'm using some Teensy 3.2s and 3.6s for some diy module ideas I've had for awhile, and was wondering how to wire up the analog and digital ground pins on the Teensys?

After a little research, it seems like the reason they're separate is that the digital ground tends to be noisier than the analog one, but does this matter for eurorack applications? If not, should I just wire both grounds together, or do something else? If it does matter, what circuit patterns should I make use of and what should I avoid?

Any thoughts or links you could spare would be a huge help.

Best!
Synthiq
As you can see in the schematic for Teensy 3.2 below, the analog and digital grounds are already connected internally with a ferrite, so I would not connect the external pins together.
The 3.6 has a similar configuration: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/schematic.html
gtrmstr53
Thanks for that! I'd never seen that page from the Teensy site, so that's good to know even beyond this issue.

I'm assuming I should still connect the Teensy to the middle ground pins from the module's power header? Would it be best for me to connect the Teensy's analog ground there, or the digital ground?

Best!
emmaker
In the schematic AGND is already done on the board. Whether they did it right or how much current the AGND can handle I do not know.

I view the AGND as an output that would connect to the AGNDs on things like converters and the analog parts of the system. With that I'd go no don't connect it to the digital ground.
Synthiq
gtrmstr53 wrote:
Thanks for that! I'd never seen that page from the Teensy site, so that's good to know even beyond this issue.

I'm assuming I should still connect the Teensy to the middle ground pins from the module's power header? Would it be best for me to connect the Teensy's analog ground there, or the digital ground?

Best!

I think I would connect the digital ground to the power header since this is the ground used by all the other components on the Teensy. It will also ensure the ADC will get a noise free supply without external interference. If I however added RC anti-aliasing filters at the ADC inputs, I would ground the capacitors to the analog ground.
Phitar
You should check out the PJRC forum if you haven't already. Lot's of Teensy guru's there (including the developer) who can help out with your project questions.

forum.pjrc.com

BTW.....

Teensy 4.0 has been released! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1