MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY euro suitcase
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author DIY euro suitcase
ayacombe
I am planning to make a DIY case inspired by this– I guess I am not the first to do this
I recently found an old suitcase identical to the VCS, for about 15 Euro, and I am now looking for some advice on where to buy power, rails (preferrably threaded), and also how to set things up to isolate the power, so that it doesn’t end up in the metal in the suitcase, and zapping me as I play. I am in Europe, and I have very good experiences with Thonk, so I am planning to go with some of their stuff, although it seems their eurocase DIY stuff are almost always sold out.

My plan is to startup with my Serge modules DUSG, VCFQ (later adding SSG and VCM) in one 3U row, and keeping the rest of the space + lid for other stuff: 0-coast (don’t want to rack it, but I am kind of annoyed by the straight power plug, instead of angled.), Onde Magnétique + walkman, 2x SQ-1 sequencers and some effects (OTO Bam + a delay, which I haven’t bought yet). I think I might need a small mixer as well, but I haven’t decided on which one. I would love to be able to have everything included in the case, but writing this I can see, that it might be a tight fit.
Agawell
exploding shed is a good place to get your case parts from - but they are often awaiting stock too

another good source is clicks'n'clocks - especially if you have a non-standard sized case as they can supply frames any size

- not knocking thonk (I love them, buy a lot from them and they have great customer service) but the threaded inserts they sell are 2.5mm taps and not 3mm taps like nearly everyone else uses (including the screws that come with your modules) which has put me off buying case supplies from them

as for power I'm looking at befaco for my next one - plastic standoffs are probably your best bet for isolation - although as long as you stick to an external brick type psu you should be fine - no dangerous levels of electricity will be in the rack
R.U.Nuts
Wrong subforum hihi
The Doepfer DIY kit is what I started with and what I still use since five years. Solid PSU, wall wart and four 84HP rails with nuts for 140€ reliably available at Schneidersladen and all major music equipment stores all over Europe. It's easy to mount since all the parts that carry potentially harmful voltages are inside the wall wart. Just make sure the PSU and the power rails don't make contact with your metal case to avoid shortening.
ayacombe
Quote:
Wrong subforum

I know that most discussions about this are on Eurorack Modules. But I thought this made better sense somehow.
Thanks for the tips. Went to Schneiders three weeks ago. First visit and it was great. Should have known about that kit though.
R.U.Nuts
ayacombe wrote:
Quote:
Wrong subforum

No offense. Your thread is better posted here. It's Eurorack related. - And here's more traffic. Miley Cyrus

BTW.: the mods are awesome here (all over Muffs) we're not worthy
Muff McMuff
There is a new Rakit power module and you can use with a power bank. Maybe not enough power?

https://www.rakits.co.uk/product/go/
Arneb
Muff McMuff wrote:
There is a new Rakit power module and you can use with a power bank. Maybe not enough power?

https://www.rakits.co.uk/product/go/

This will barely power OP's 0-Coast alone... guess the use case they have in mind is powering a Beauty Case or 4ms Pod while on a weekend camping trip.
Arneb
dammit, edit button fail
ayacombe
I am a bit worried about getting electrocuted while constructing my suitcase. Are there any kits that are bit more “secure” than others?

Actually I haven’t thought about powering everything from the same supply. Would be great.
Arneb
ayacombe wrote:
I am a bit worried about getting electrocuted while constructing my suitcase. Are there any kits that are bit more “secure” than others?

Actually I haven’t thought about powering everything from the same supply. Would be great.

According to this German-language howto the safest way is to use an external power supply - typically a laptop brick should do the job, but always check the specs for yourself - going into a power supply module. That way you avoid having 110V/230V anywhere near your case.
ayacombe
Great!
Thanks! I was looking at the Strom from Koma. Seems like an easier solution, but it would be great if power was integrated into the case
shoottofill
Please update on your progress, I have a friend who sells many vintage suitcases and I've been tempted to do this too.
Halfgeleider
Ive built only 2 cases, soon my third, and nothing against the familiar retailers or anything but rails are often far to expensive imo. I buy them from Buerklin in Germany and pay around 4€ for84hp and about 3€for a threaded rail. Ok they are 2.5mm, so i bought 2.5mm knurlies from befaco.
You could easily fit 2 rails togheter with rods.
JakoGreyshire
Here is the DIY case thread and there are some metal suitcase type stuff on this page I'm posting... Check it out...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3102555#3102555
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1