MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 260
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla 260
mutierend
When was the original Buchla 260 released? I swear I can hear it on Barry Schrader's "Lost Atlantis" but I'm not sure it was around back then. Does anyone know anything about this elusive module?
mritenburg
mutierend wrote:
When was the original Buchla 260 released? I swear I can hear it on Barry Schrader's "Lost Atlantis" but I'm not sure it was around back then. Does anyone know anything about this elusive module?

The original 260 (pre-200e) was announced in the Fall of 2002 along with the 297. Shipping may not have happened until early 2003.
ryangaston
mutierend wrote:

No 260 back in that day—Barry was just remarkably meticulous/methodical and was able to use pitch/intervals to sometimes incredibly striking effect. I studied composition with him for a while, and his methods were pretty dang singular afaik, at least at the time those records were made.

This post has some interesting detail:analysis of how he handled macro control of multiple oscillators in Lost Atlantis. It’s interesting to think through this process for creating tone clusters, Shepard/Tenney effects, etc. Definitely worth the time to parse through!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9553
mutierend
mritenburg wrote:

The original 260 (pre-200e) was announced in the Fall of 2002 along with the 297. Shipping may not have happened until early 2003.

Wow, I was way off. I wonder how many 260s were made, versus 260e.

Barry Schrader must have used his four 258s and the 257 to achieve the Shepard tone. That explains why it is so much smoother than a lot of the computer-based modules that do it, like the 260e.

Thanks for the info!
mutierend
ryangaston wrote:
mutierend wrote:

No 260 back in that day—Barry was just remarkably meticulous/methodical and was able to use pitch/intervals to sometimes incredibly striking effect. I studied composition with him for a while, and his methods were pretty dang singular afaik, at least at the time those records were made.

This post has some interesting detail:analysis of how he handled macro control of multiple oscillators in Lost Atlantis. It’s interesting to think through this process for creating tone clusters, Shepard/Tenney effects, etc. Definitely worth the time to parse through!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9553

I had a brief chat with him a while back about Trinity, and I didn't think to ask about the Shepard tone. He is really quite brilliant. His academic approach to the composition is very appealing to me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1