MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Headphones 2019 ugh “monitor quality” LOL
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Headphones 2019 ugh “monitor quality” LOL
Bath House
What’s a solid, decent pair for mixing and monitoring synth music on that are reasonably neutral but reproduce bass well enough? Since having a kid I spend 90% of my studio time on headphones. I’ve used Sony MDR-7506 for 20 years and they sound like dick but I know them. I’m ready for an upgrade. I’m looking at the 7510’s since they have better bass reproduction. What else? I hate this topic because it ends up bonkers. Help!!
tioJim
I recently bought some Shure SRH1840s. They sound incredible.

"It's true that they are not cheap, but I can honestly say that the SRH1840s put into shade all of the other headphones I've ever tried, and I would be happier mixing on these than on budget active monitors." Sam Inglis, Sound On Sound.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/shure-srh1840
dubonaire
Bath House wrote:
What’s a solid, decent pair for mixing and monitoring synth music on that are reasonably neutral but reproduce bass well enough? Since having a kid I spend 90% of my studio time on headphones. I’ve used Sony MDR-7506 for 20 years and they sound like dick but I know them. I’m ready for an upgrade. I’m looking at the 7510’s since they have better bass reproduction. What else? I hate this topic because it ends up bonkers. Help!!

Haha, yeah, you just end up with everyone recommending the pair they use. I think you tend to adapt to headphones. There are not massive differences between headphones in each price category I think comfort is one of the most elements.

I think https://www.head-fi.org/ is a good resource.
Daveyp
I’ve recently switched to open-back headphones after using closed-back for years. It really makes a difference in ear fatigue and soundscape. Sorry to muddy the waters further.... smile
dubonaire
Daveyp wrote:
I’ve recently switched to open-back headphones after using closed-back for years. It really makes a difference in ear fatigue and soundscape. Sorry to muddy the waters further.... smile

Not always the best for bass though.
DiscoDevil
I like the Sony cans but they're better for DJing.

I use Sennheiser HD 650s in the studio.
milkshake
Bath House wrote:

Critical thinking dictates us to ask the following:
What do the science guys have to say about this?

Here are some links:
https://seanolive.blogspot.com/2017/02/twirt-337-predicting-headphone- sound_17.html
Quote from article:
The highest scoring headphone was a $100 model that we equalized to hit the Harman target response, which our research has shown to be preferred by the majority of listeners.

https://www.listeninc.com/wp/media/Perception_and_-Measurement_of_Head phones_Sean_Olive.pdf

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-target-response-curve- research-update

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19237

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-and-headset-measuremen t-seminar-sean-olive

There are so many links to post but I'll stop here.
Smart wigglers will get the gist.
tIB
I really like phonon smb02 - they translate really well.
cptnal
milkshake wrote:
Bath House wrote:

Critical thinking dictates us to ask the following:
What do the science guys have to say about this?

Here are some links:
https://seanolive.blogspot.com/2017/02/twirt-337-predicting-headphone- sound_17.html
Quote from article:
The highest scoring headphone was a $100 model that we equalized to hit the Harman target response, which our research has shown to be preferred by the majority of listeners.

https://www.listeninc.com/wp/media/Perception_and_-Measurement_of_Head phones_Sean_Olive.pdf

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-target-response-curve- research-update

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19237

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-and-headset-measuremen t-seminar-sean-olive

There are so many links to post but I'll stop here.
Smart wigglers will get the gist.

Evidence-based decision making? It'll never catch on. Dead Banana
Blingley
I use Sennheiser HD380 Pro. In fact, I own two pairs. Amazing quality for the cost thumbs up
strettara
I love my BD 880 PROs. What I don’t like, living in Italy, is hot ears. I’d use them a lot more if it wasn’t for that.
gruebleengourd
I live in a noisy area, so I appreciate the beyerdynamic DT-770. Keeps outside sounds out, good bass response, usable accuracy and comfortable.
wiperactive
Sennheiser HD-600 open backs work well for me and offer a relatively seamless transition when I change from monitoring on PMC TB2S speakers.

Also a little bit swayed when I heard that mastering supremo Bob Katz favoured this model at the time of my purchase some years ago.
pixelmechanic
gruebleengourd wrote:
I live in a noisy area, so I appreciate the beyerdynamic DT-770. Keeps outside sounds out, good bass response, usable accuracy and comfortable.

+1 for Beyer DT-770 *

* might be +2 since I've got a pair at work and another pair at home.
PrimateSynthesis
Bath House wrote:
I’ve used Sony MDR-7506 for 20 years

Me too.

Then they finally broke a few months ago, so I bought another pair cool
nostalghia
Since the OP mentioned wanting good bass reproduction, my recommendation is the Shure SRH840 -same phones I purchased years ago for my home studio, based largely on this review:Tape Op review: Shure SRH840 headphones

They were an upgrade to the AKG K240 cans I was using previously, more accurate sound and more comfortable.

I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD598SE I use for casual music listening while I work-a bit bass shy but sound very good overall, and by far the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried. Open back, so co-workers can't sneak up and startle you.

Some new headphones worth considering for studio monitoring if you can spend more than the Shures ($500 vs around $200 for the SRH840) are the Neumann NDH 20. Also reviewed by Tape Op here: https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/132/ndh-20-headphones/

Ultimate phones may be the Focal "Clear Professional" at $1500-1700. Apparently they are amazing, bass in particular, but then they better be at that price. Love my Focal monitors (CMS 65), paid less than those phones for a pair.
EPTC
Surprised this thread got to so many replies without mentioning Audio Technica's ATH-M50's

I've had two pairs, daily heavy use, twelve years. They are excellent for honest and clear monitoring/mixing.

They have structurally lasted through countless moments of odd handling and beaten around, too. Also accidental spikes of really loud sudden volume (as happens, especially when unaware of volume from something pressing play) hasn't yet broken the cones, too. Super clean sounding after TONS of this.
Blairio
Bath House wrote:

I'm baffled. You use a pair of headphones for 20 years that you agree are not great but you know their foibles. Why change now? Sounds like you have an effective and trustworthy solution already.

A point often missed with phones is that a dedicated headphone amplifier makes a world of a difference. Most amp or desk headphone stages are not great - that's not where the money was spent in the design and implementation. I have heard midrange headphones (like my own seinheisser HD25 mk2's) transformed when driven by a decent headphone amp. So let's consider the headphone amp, and not just the 'cans.
PrimateSynthesis
Headphone amps do make a difference.

The headphone jack on my old Mackie 1202 always sounded harsh. Oddly, the headphone output of my MacBook Pro sounds better to me.
PrimateSynthesis
Blairio wrote:

I'm baffled. You use a pair of headphones for 20 years that you agree are not great but you know their foibles. Why change now? Sounds like you have an effective and trustworthy solution already.

Also durable. Considering how many times I've dropped them, hit them with my chair, etc. they should have been completely destroyed a long time ago.
MARK27
I have kinda collected headphones for the last 10 years, since my studio became more mobile. I have more headphones than I'm willing to admit, ranging from $50-$1000.

For mixing and reference, I keep going back to Sennheiser HD-600/650/6XX. Since you are looking for low end specifically, I'd suggest the HD-650s, or, if you can afford them, the HD-660s. You can score the 6XXs from Massdrop for $220. They are clones of the 650s.

I have a pair of Audeze EL-8 Closed that are bass monsters, putting out low frequencies that seem impossible from headphones. I love listening to music on them for fun, but they have such a fun (read: hyped) frequency response that I wouldn't trust them for mixing or critical listening.

Good luck!
Panason
EPTC wrote:
Surprised this thread got to so many replies without mentioning Audio Technica's ATH-M50's

I've had two pairs, daily heavy use, twelve years. They are excellent for honest and clear monitoring/mixing.

They have structurally lasted through countless moments of odd handling and beaten around, too. Also accidental spikes of really loud sudden volume (as happens, especially when unaware of volume from something pressing play) hasn't yet broken the cones, too. Super clean sounding after TONS of this.

They are IMO best for live use and the chunky build (as well as the DJ-style reversible cups) reflects that. I found them really tiring to use for long sessions in the studio and the closed back and almost air-tight seal around the ears creates a kind of vacuum effect which feels too much for the ear drums. I noticed the onset of tinnitus and switched to open backs (AKG 702) and my ears were relieved.
GrantB
As a long time 7506 user, the DT770 is a big step up for mixing. I've been thinking about getting an open back version for longer sessions though.

Anybody using the 1990s to mix?
c_code
Used dt 990 before for 10 years, stepped it up to dt 1990 this year, I use the analytical pads (comes with a disco curved ones as well), highly recommended and plenty of low end.
You want open cans really.
calaveras
I used 7506 for years. The person who mentored me in live sound swore by them. And in the early 90's there weren't a ton of options.
I upgraded to the V600 for a while. More bass was the only difference.
Later I got into some AKG 240's for a long time. Way less harsh than the 7506.
But those AKGs are not durable at all.
Then I got a pair of Shure 440s. Sound pretty decent to mix or just jam on. But a little boxy. I think they are just the same drivers as the pricier siblings, with less baffling.
Most recently I got a pair of DT770s. Amazing headphones. First, I can wear them fro hours. Second, they sound much clearer than my other heapdhones. By a wide margin.
Negatives.
Non folding.
there is a very narrow notch at 4k, which may or may not be noticeable.
They have kind of a far too wide stereo field, like it sometimes sounds like you are listening to two pianos, not a stereo piano.
Non detachable cable.

That all said, would buy again. Or I may go for one of the pricier bigger kids form Beyer.
If you have the scratch the Neuman and Focal headphones are totally worth it. Crystal clear like a diamond. The Focals have some kind of tech to make it less of that too stereo thing, and more like you are listening to speakers.

ps I don't get how anyone can listen to Sony cans. Icepick treble.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5