MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advice on a hardware path?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Advice on a hardware path?
lucyfur
Background - picked up guitar again for the first time since teenage punk bands. I've been enjoying it and getting back into the swing but I have no interest in (or time for) a band these days and what I've been playing is droney and noisy. Which has me thinking about electronic music production (integrating my guitar) going forward.

I'm feeling out where I'm heading - something along the path of IDM (as terrible as that term is), trip-hop, sample-based music, field recordings, verging into ambient (or... dark ambient I guess?).

I've found elinch and Hainbach's Youtube channels quite inspiring.

For now I've pretty much just been trying out stuff with a Bitwig demo and VSTs and VCV Rack. I don't mind working with a computer for certain steps but I'm more into the tactile experience of knobs and buttons.

So... now to where I go.

Sampler - down to Digitakt and MPC Live. The Digitakt seems more advanced for sample mangling but what I'm thinking is the Live for bread and butter sampling and down the road I can get weirder with modular options (Morphagene and granular).

Semi-modular - Plankton Ants or Lifeforms SV-1+RackBrute. The ants seems a little more interesting in and of itself but the SV-1 as a first module (+ Maths down the road then more modules).

If I was laying down the money tonight it would probably be Live + SV-1 (I have a Keystep already). Is that crazy for where I'm wanting to go?
Datum
I have a similar setup to what you're proposing. I use an MPC 1000 as the center of my DAW-less setup. It is the main sequencer for my synths and I can integrate it with my modular.

My recommendation is to get one piece of gear and spend time really getting to know it. Whether you want to jump for the sampler or a semi-modular I would just get one. Each requires a ton of time and practice to really understand and wrap your head around. Hell, the amount of things you can do with just the MPC is mind-boggling but you really need to learn it inside and out.

I will say that the SV-1 was my first module and it's a really terrific gateway into modular. I love the way it can visually be separated into its component "modules" which helped me learn the ropes of modular better.
MAXTHEDOG
Hi,
Welcome. I totally agree with Datum, although don’t underestimate the pull of GAS(gear acquisition syndrome). I’ve had a Live for 8 months and have barely scratched its surface, but then I’ve got a modular to play with too.
What about a Live and a Make Noise 0-Coast, budget allowing of course. That should keep you going for ages.
Enjoy it whatever you decide.
Regards,
MtD.
calaveras
I'll almost always recommend the Machinedrum.
You can still get these for a decent price, and it's a very solid performer. I'm still squeezing new things out of mine.
It can also sequence MIDI, though not in a very cute way.
Honestly one of the biggest features of Elektron stuff is that it takes MIDI seriously. A lot of otherwise great gear out there does not (blofeld!).
Machinedrum has fullin our and thruMIDI ports, and can send LFO as CC on any channel,as well as store multiple MIDI configs to accommodate various set ups.
Plus it has a hedphone jack!

There are sample capable version of the Machinedrum, however those are starting to be in demand.

Another grerat one is the Analog 4. The prices are crazy on these right now.
Going for only $500-600 USD often.
4 voices of analog synth, sequencing and CV/Gate sequencing. Downside is that it will sync to MIDI and be controlled by MIDI. But it does not sequence MIDI or allow you to send MIDI the way a Machinedrum can. I'ts more for controlling some modular with a few analog voices builtin.
Sounds From The Shed
If you're thinking modular down the line plus sampling then you would probably be better off with the Akai Force with its cv outputs, that would be an all in one knob twiddling solution based on what you've said. I'd go about it differently though seriously, i just don't get it
Panason
calaveras wrote:

Honestly one of the biggest features of Elektron stuff is that it takes MIDI seriously.

The Rytm does not.

It would be a mistake to go down the Elektron dead end path, IMO , of course. meh
Sounds From The Shed
Panason wrote:
calaveras wrote:

Honestly one of the biggest features of Elektron stuff is that it takes MIDI seriously.

The Rytm does not.

It would be a mistake to go down the Elektron dead end path, IMO , of course. meh

Very diplomatically put sir, personally I though that Elektron suggestion was a bit misguided seriously, i just don't get it
sutekina bipu-on
I would definitely argue for getting a cheaper groovebox because those can still be very capable master brains of your studio. Some have samplers built in too (rs7000, asr-x). Easy to get into but also very deep and when you get to learning what it can do, you can make entire albums on the things and sound fresh every time.

There are lots of great options from the 90s and 2000s, so go thru and see what stands out to you. I cut my teeth on the asr-x so i am partial to that and can do anything on it.

The Neutron is a great starting point for a semi modular, especially since it can easily interface with a couple other euro modules and it only takes 2 or 3 more modules on top of what's inside the Neutron to discover worlds inside that synth. Mr. Green

I would advise against the MPC because you cant edit the pattern while it's playing. It's the least flexible of the bunch in terms of real time modulation. Ive had a lot of mpcs and love them but you gotta know what theyre good for.
lucyfur
Thanks, y'all. I traded a pair of floorstanding speakers that I wasn't using for a MPC Live today - for some of the above reasons it wasn't looking like the top choice for where I said I'm headed but I'm thinking of it as a first piece to start figuring out my way.

(Plus I can indulge my side fantasy of producing golden age hip-hop.)
Technologear?
lucyfur wrote:

That would be a great initial focus and goal to help you get to learn the mpc Live. Gear with lots of options can create many rabbit holes when learning, I like setting limitations to focus my efforts.

Have fun
Sounds From The Shed
lucyfur wrote:
Thanks, y'all. I traded a pair of floorstanding speakers that I wasn't using for a MPC Live today - for some of the above reasons it wasn't looking like the top choice for where I said I'm headed but I'm thinking of it as a first piece to start figuring out my way.

I figured thats what you would buy, as you more or less stated so in your post, it'll be a good bit bit of kit to use as it's so portable, tunes in bed! It does not have the CV option but that will not matter until you decide to go down the analogue path.

Can I suggest though you consider buying a mono synth, like the Mono Station, really cheap, that way you can have your own input beyond the samples, it's easy to use, has a ton of modulation options, and will make the sound YOURS, not just the samples in the MPC.
joeTron
Sounds like a Mother 32 would work for you if you can afford it. It's a fast track to eurorack with plenty of knobs and holes, a sequencer and that FAT classic Moog sound. Given the real estate it takes up I 'd say it's a bargain in the long run.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1