MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stroh VCO demos?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Stroh VCO demos?
Prunesquallor
Does anyone have any demos of the Ultrafade and Flexwave VCOs? I've been debating about getting one or both built, but I don't want to jump into this blind.

On paper they look great, but I've been unable to find any sounds on the net other than a few very short vids of random noodling. seriously, i just don't get it

It would be fantastic if someone could put up something more deliberative and tonal. Comments on how they sound and behave compared with other VCOs would also be very helpful.

Ta!
Prunesquallor
No-one has any examples they'd like to share? seriously, i just don't get it
J3RK
There are a few up in my YouTube channel, however, most are "plinky" and are in the context of a full system.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDrjerk/videos

I've built several of both for quite a few people (or variants based on their PCBs) so I'm sure someone out there has something more.

My videos are also horrible phone videos. d'oh! I do think I have some WAV or MP3 files of these around somewhere. I'll see if I can dig some up.

This is probably half-decent for getting a feel for the FlexWave though:

jimfowler
sickest design aesthetic ever.

sounds great too.
Prunesquallor
J3RK wrote:
There are a few up in my YouTube channel, however, most are "plinky" and are in the context of a full system.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDrjerk/videos

I've built several of both for quite a few people (or variants based on their PCBs) so I'm sure someone out there has something more.

My videos are also horrible phone videos. d'oh! I do think I have some WAV or MP3 files of these around somewhere. I'll see if I can dig some up.

This is probably half-decent for getting a feel for the FlexWave though:

Hey, thanks for chiming in! That sounded great. cool I did check out your YT channel, but I must've missed that one. I did notice that most of your demos from the original threads were lost when you left Comcast, so if you could post those sound files you mentioned, I'd be hugely grateful.

Do you have any samples flaunting the sounds of the raw waves? Only if you could find time, of course, but I'm also hugely interested in hearing the PWM and wave morphing alone. Thanks again!
Biom
Don't want to spam the thread, but I'm an owner of Dustin's earlier vco - Dual Mirror Core VCO, which he kindly built for me himself with great passion and all possible improvements. The build itself was a piece of art either.
Among all vco's I've owned and heard, it's one of the best. It's very precise and tracks unbelievably great. The FM is just beyond words - the one you may find on 258b, perhaps, but goes even further, I think. It definitely is in the Buchla realm for me, producing this huge, raw, a bit vintage, organic tone and crazy thick fm. The PWM is simply great.

Dustin used to tell me, his later vco designs were greatly improved since this project, so if I was to expand the 4u (or 3u) system, I'd definitely go with his vco's without doubt and hesitation!
Prunesquallor
No spamming at all! That's one helluva endorsement!

The comparison with the 258 is telling. Is there any overlap, do you think?
Biom
I've never heard the Flexwave, sorry, but I bet it sounds outstanding! I've been also very intrigued by it for a very long time, so subscribed for this thread as well)
Not sure how folding and multiplying exactly work there, but function wise it's pretty intense, so no overlap to me at all, rather, it would be a great palette expansion, while Ultrafade looks a bit more basic to me.
I think the Flexwave could be the perfect complex vco for nearly every setup.

The only thing that would bother me is the sine shaper. Mine's are not very clean on MCDVCO, which is a minor vco core drawback, that (if not mistaken) have been improved in Flexwave and Ultrafade. It's not an uncommon issue with vco's. RS modernised NTO's sine wave is far from clean either, which doesn't make it any weaker or unusable at all. You'll just need a spare LPF or a great clean sine shaper in your vco, like the Buchla has)

Great to see Dustin's chimed in for details. He's not the person to promote himself, but most definitely deserves much love! nanners
Prunesquallor
Biom wrote:
I think the Flexwave could be the perfect complex vco for nearly every setup.

I was hoping so, and I'm starting to lean this way after your generous comments. Reading the Ultrafade thread again, it seems that this may overlap too much with my 258s, while the Flexwave with its good tracking and wave mangling options could be a good companion.

You're also right that Dustin deserves mucho SlayerBadger! w00t we're not worthy I know he's not given to self promotion and is very busy. I'm hoping that this thread'll spark some demos and spread the love.
syncretism
Biom wrote:

Not sure how folding and multiplying exactly work there, but function wise it's pretty intense, so no overlap to me at all, rather, it would be a great palette expansion, while Ultrafade looks a bit more basic to me.

I have a hot-rodded Ultrafade Stroh called the "Ten Demon Bag." It starts rather like the 258, but lacks an attenuverted expo input for frequency (this can, of course, be effected with other modules), and adds a diode-based waveshaper and pitched noise. The closest thing I have to a complaint is the lack of a fine-tune module (which again can be patched with other modules), but that's a direct entailment of me asking Dustin for basically the moon on a stick. It's insane how much he put into that module and exposed via the panel.

I also have two "Operator" modules; I know that these aren't what the original poster asked about, but they sound outstanding and are a true joy to patch up.
Prunesquallor
syncretism wrote:
Biom wrote:

I have a hot-rodded Ultrafade Stroh called the "Ten Demon Bag." It starts rather like the 258, but lacks an attenuverted expo input for frequency (this can, of course, be effected with other modules), and adds a diode-based waveshaper and pitched noise. The closest thing I have to a complaint is the lack of a fine-tune module (which again can be patched with other modules), but that's a direct entailment of me asking Dustin for basically the moon on a stick. It's insane how much he put into that module and exposed via the panel.

And of course I'll have to ask you for demos... hihi If you've already posted anything, I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction

syncretism wrote:
I also have two "Operator" modules; I know that these aren't what the original poster asked about, but they sound outstanding and are a true joy to patch up.

I know about the Operator, but I've kind of decided against it in favour of the Dannysound EN129 and/or Teezer for thru-zero fun and games. I'm open to being persuaded otherwise, though. cool

I was just thinking that it's incredible what's out there in 4U Land now. And we can thank Dustin for a good deal of that.
J3RK
I did find quite a bit of audio, including some raw waves, etc. I will post it as soon as possible. Maybe tonight if all goes well.
Prunesquallor
J3RK wrote:
I did find quite a bit of audio, including some raw waves, etc. I will post it as soon as possible. Maybe tonight if all goes well.

Fantastic - thanks! SlayerBadger!
J3RK
Editing... (samples will be here shortly)
Prunesquallor
Wow, sounds good! Wonderfully chewy in character. I think we have a winner! Thank you so much for doing this, Dustin! we're not worthy

I already have the PCB, bought on a whim recently. I'll just have to think about what else to put on the panel with it. I know it's large so there probably isn't much room for much besides a couple of utilities. Hmm... hmmm.....
jam457
I realize I am chiming in way late but I just love these vcos and am super excited right now as I am building a diy 4u serge esq system. I have built one of these in the past and they are by far the best sounding and best feature diy vco! The morph section is so fun! Really excited to see what its going to sound like in a dual vco configuration!!! Also great to hear some audio demos!
Prunesquallor
jam457 wrote:
I have built one of these in the past and they are by far the best sounding and best feature diy vco!

Another great recommendation! thumbs up
J3RK
Thanks for the kind words!

I found another one:
Prunesquallor
J3RK wrote:
Thanks for the kind words!

I found another one:

woah applause SlayerBadger!

Sounds great, Dustin!
ritchiedrums
Rumor has it that I will be the new owner of a used Stroh system next month Mr. Green

I miss my Stroh Box..... Guinness ftw!
gruvsyco
Didn't there used to be a Stroh Modular website?
Prunesquallor
ritchiedrums wrote:
Rumor has it that I will be the new owner of a used Stroh system next month Mr. Green

I miss my Stroh Box..... Guinness ftw!

Rage! angry t3h 8@nz3r@t3d

hihi Guinness ftw! cool thumbs up

What's in the system?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1