MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tool Fear Inoculum
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Tool Fear Inoculum
Gotta leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urik7KHOff0

Been a long wait.

nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
zedius
Pretty excited! I wanna see if some modular shows up on the recordings. Some of the percussive elements in the title track sound pretty synthesized.
zedius wrote:
Pretty excited! I wanna see if some modular shows up on the recordings. Some of the percussive elements in the title track sound pretty synthesized.

I saw them live a few weeks ago and Danny even did a little synth solo in the middle. I'm wondering if the strings at the beginning of fear are synthesised.

All in all a great track, seems like a mix of their catalogue. They did stay true to their usual scheme.

I would welcome some positive surprises within the album.
DSC
I have lost friends and family during this thirteen years of wait.
I feel very fortunate to be listening to this new album.
we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
JimY
"Alexa, I need to hear something new by the band Tool. Please concoct a pastiche Tool song using elements from their existing music and give it a typically pretentious title."

I mean, I like it very much, but it really does sound like a pastiche. I'm hoping (expecting) for something more adventurous on the rest of the album. They have been nothing more than their very own tribute band for over 10 years, and I for one found that getting tedious.

Is there a new Downfall/Hitler-rant spoof video yet?
JimY wrote:
"Alexa, I need to hear something new by the band Tool. Please concoct a pastiche Tool song using elements from their existing music and give it a typically pretentious title."

I mean, I like it very much, but it really does sound like a pastiche. I'm hoping (expecting) for something more adventurous on the rest of the album. They have been nothing more than their very own tribute band for over 10 years, and I for one found that getting tedious.

Is there a new Downfall/Hitler-rant spoof video yet?

I heard two new songs at the concert and in stark contrast to this, they definitely stood their own ground. I agree, this is not bad but feels recycled. It may not feel refreshing but still good to hear a new tune.
Gringo Starr
This sounds like the same old stuff. The same annoying pretentious long intros too. I loved Tool so much but hearing this one song after a long hiatus sounds boring and like a watered down version of themselves.
Dilibob
I really enjoyed it, I am into tabla playing. I also liked how about half way the "song" picked up, that first track is more like a mini symphony rather then a song. Nice that they went out on the edge to create almost a fusion piece, yet still has the same tool feel.
Album seems to be good smile

Awesome use of a modular and percussion here:

MarcelP
Tsk - I was hoping for an injection to cure me of my crippling mole wrench phobia.
gaslampmusehog
So good.
DruidTek
Absolutely loving this album! It's a triumphant return for sure...
JimY
I'm refusing to listen to any online tracks until I can buy a CD at a sensible price. I'm not interested in the video content of the deluxe edition. I can't listen to videos.
JimY wrote:
I'm refusing to listen to any online tracks until I can buy a CD at a sensible price. I'm not interested in the video content of the deluxe edition. I can't listen to videos.

Why not listen online? Sound quality?

I mean there is a certain special feeling (especially with vinyl) to opening a physical medium, sitting down with a nice set of headphones/speakers, reading the liner notes, enjoying the art and spending a Sunday afternoon indulging. I won't be buying the deluxe edition... rather pay 100 euro for a concert MY ASS IS BLEEDING

In advance I can tell you that the album as a whole seems to be pretty good.

Online, there is a lot of talk about the long 13 year wait for a new album and that many fans passed away in this time and that we are lucky to be alive to hear it... To me that sounds a tad dramatic. I gotta say, the main thing with me is that I've grown a little older and that my taste in music has changed and that that, in of itself seems to be interesting. Don't get me wrong, I dig Tool but I'm finding that it's just not as magical as when I was a kid.
JimY
Unless they've changed tack, Tool albums are a cohesive whole. And I always assumed they expect listeners to have the patience and respect to listen to it in the planned sequence. Splitting tracks into single pieces for online distribution obviously wrecks any of that. Presumably, they have been edited and only the complete CD will have any linking audio and the intended track gaps where they exist. This has nothing to do with admiring the "art" of any physical CD package - there is good and bad CD packaging, but it's just too bloody small to ever be impressive.

If I listen to the separated tracks, I fear it will ruin the pleasure of getting into it as a whole (once they get around to a plain and simple CD issue).
I've waited 13 years, I can wait a bit longer.
JimY wrote:
Unless they've changed tack, Tool albums are a cohesive whole. And I always assumed they expect listeners to have the patience and respect to listen to it in the planned sequence. Splitting tracks into single pieces for online distribution obviously wrecks any of that. Presumably, they have been edited and only the complete CD will have any linking audio and the intended track gaps where they exist. This has nothing to do with admiring the "art" of any physical CD package - there is good and bad CD packaging, but it's just too bloody small to ever be impressive.

If I listen to the separated tracks, I fear it will ruin the pleasure of getting into it as a whole (once they get around to a plain and simple CD issue).
I've waited 13 years, I can wait a bit longer.

I agree with their albums generally being concept albums. On the other side they are using streaming services that stream the album in it's entirety, and in order. A streaming service such as apple music or a even a youtube playlist is very capable of that. Btw. they uploaded the whole album for free and in HQ to YouTube
jbuonacc
JimY wrote:
... I always assumed they expect listeners to have the patience and respect to listen to it in the planned sequence. Splitting tracks into single pieces for online distribution obviously wrecks any of that. ...

pffftt. meh
JimY
jbuonacc wrote:
JimY wrote:
... I always assumed they expect listeners to have the patience and respect to listen to it in the planned sequence. Splitting tracks into single pieces for online distribution obviously wrecks any of that. ...

pffftt. meh

I hate to break it to you, but you just showed your self up for what you are.
jbuonacc
JimY wrote:
jbuonacc wrote:
JimY wrote:

pffftt. meh

I hate to break it to you, but you just showed your self up for what you are.

what's that? a "free thinker"?

past your naive view that "online distribution wrecks being able to listen to it in the planned sequence" (which is exactly how i use Spotify most of the time), many of their tracks stand up perfectly well on their own. a "greatest hits" package would be just fine.
seeasound
I find the production of this album unlistenable for my ears. Keep reading these comments to put this on a nice pair of headphones....yeh not with upper mids like this...Idno its just got a very thin sound with a jarring midrange that is not there on their previous works. Just flipping between lateralus or 10000 days and the difference is immediately apparent. Quite surprising as it was produced by Joe Barresi.

This makes me not want to really spend time with it and so far I am not finding the music compelling either...just dated conceptually.
naos
seeasound wrote:
I find the production of this album unlistenable for my ears. Keep reading these comments to put this on a nice pair of headphones....yeh not with upper mids like this...Idno its just got a very thin sound with a jarring midrange that is not there on their previous works. Just flipping between lateralus or 10000 days and the difference is immediately apparent. Quite surprising as it was produced by Joe Barresi.

This makes me not want to really spend time with it and so far I am not finding the music compelling either...just dated conceptually.

the other day by curiosity i listened to a few tracks from "Undertow" - which I hadn't heard in probably 20 years at least - and found the production kinda dreadful... everything (guitars especially) is turned down to dark tones with zero brilliance or resonance - it's a stark contrast to the epic harmonies they've done after that. (not a fan anyway, I like some parts but I hate the outdated and dumb nu-metal chugging they fill or close all tracks with.)
jbuonacc
naos wrote:
... (not a fan anyway, I like some parts but I hate the outdated and dumb nu-metal chugging they fill or close all tracks with.)

"nu-metal" didn't exist back then.
naos
jbuonacc wrote:
naos wrote:
... (not a fan anyway, I like some parts but I hate the outdated and dumb nu-metal chugging they fill or close all tracks with.)

Rage against the machine, Helmet, Faith no more, grunge did.
I guess once you start playing funky rock, you can't stop.
jbuonacc
naos wrote:
jbuonacc wrote:
naos wrote:

Rage against the machine, Helmet, Faith no more, grunge did.
I guess once you start playing funky rock, you can't stop.

?? none of which was "outdated" at the time, or even really sounds outdated or "dumb" now for that matter.
3hands
Ahh Tool fans.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1