MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Module suggestions for kids' skiff?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Module suggestions for kids' skiff?
TRVR
Hi Everyone,

I've got a small 6U/84HP setup and my kids (5 & 2) love interacting with it - only supervised, obv. Right now it lives on a high-ish shelf that is difficult for them to get to.

I'm planning to DIY build a little 7U/42HP skiff as a sort-of "satellite" that they can use while we make music.

My thought is to make it a basic one voice setup and integrate some physical controllers that they can use to participate. A joystick + quantizer was one thought.

I'd love to hear your suggestions.

As a note: I love DIY-ing & kit-building, so any module suggestions in that vein are encouraged.

Thanks!
-Trevor
Shakespeare
The Doepfer theremin module might be a good, fun addition.

And maybe something tactile like a Pressure Points or v1 Rene?

Also, Error Instruments has some wacky stuff that might be fun (like their music box modules).
EPTC
An arcade button trigger would be very fun. Just be careful what you patch it to, of course (not everything can take endless stomped out gates, or 10v) - but triggering sounds or envelopes would be a thrill for em, likely.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/horstronic-arcade-button/
notmiserlouagain
I did some story telling for kids that age (3-6) for a couple of years
and sometimes included electronic devices with my trusty portable amp.
Definitly always greeted and needed were:
Microphone input (with envelope follower A-119 comes to mind)
Echo-Echo-Echo
Tape speed up or down for june bugs or blue whales talking (I used
to do it with my Tascam DR100)
Minimalazid interfacing! Less is more
Ruggedness! hihi

I used pedals etc. Nice idea with the dedicated modular synth!
Placid Mouse
+1 for the trigger button, QU-bit used to make one.

Another route could be to get a midi-cv interface and use one of thses, they look pretty child friendly...

https://www.midifighter.com/

Otherwise, mutable ears could be pretty cool, even a mic-modular module (ie Doepfer A119) and an SM58.

Spring reverb tanks are cool too

cool
diffrentstrolks
The Bizmuth Chaotic Signal Router always draws attention:

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/bizmuth-modular-bizmuth.html

Also, Soundmachines Lightstrips for recorded modulation, gating and light show.

Outside the rack, but Korg Littlebits Synth Kit (or any Littlebits kit, really) + CV Bit(s) and/or Koma Field Kits would be good fun for all.
nios
Probably as many controller module(s) as you can get, Blue Lantern makes a tiny cheap joystick for example, there's also the Soundmachines Lightplane, and/or an old Planar maybe. I'd guess a big hit would be sample playback like at minimum the 2hp one etc, where you can load in some.. I don't know, animal sounds into it or something, spongebob quotes etc, you can kid-ize a Eurorack surprisingly easily with that by processing lots of silly sounds. Hey, I think you may have found a real-world use case for that 2hp Cat module.

I'd also say that Endorphin.es modules look especially kid-friendly but hey, I don't know if you want them playing around with high-dollar things as opposed to things you wouldn't miss if they got damaged physically and/or tried some "creative" patching with a bunch of stackcables etc. I somehow broke several instruments (don't even recall how) when my dad first tried teaching me when I was very very young. Don't expect much, just be happy if the modules all survive.

Regardless I think the general learning of how to patch what/where, the flow of synth architecture and so on is pretty demanding for a 5 year old, and you've pretty much just got to hope the 2 year old doesn't spill fruit juice all over it or something, but it's one hell of a lot more stimulating than the typical "give them a tablet and let youtube autoplay" approach a lot of parents do these days.
diffrentstrolks
Oh yeah; and one of these:

TRVR
Woah, guys!

Awesome suggestions! I’ve gotta spend some time later looking into these, but keep them coming.

I did add a 1/8” jack to our beloved cat piano, so that should pair nicely with this skiff. cat piano modz!

Thank you bunches for these recs!

-Trevor
TRVR
nios wrote:
Regardless I think the general learning of how to patch what/where, the flow of synth architecture and so on is pretty demanding for a 5 year old, and you've pretty much just got to hope the 2 year old doesn't spill fruit juice all over it or something, but it's one hell of a lot more stimulating than the typical "give them a tablet and let youtube autoplay" approach a lot of parents do these days.

For sure! Learning how to patch what/where is pretty demanding, even for most adults.

This will likely be mostly supervised usage, just trying to give them some options that are dedicated and tailored to their use. Who am I kidding, I’ll probably use this thing more than they will!
wiggies
I think Rings would be a good choice. It's very easy to get nice sounds and doesn't require much patching to do so.
ambrohski
Befaco joystick is pretty robust, and both my kids (5, 3) love fiddling with it... but my 5 year old really digs hearing his own voice through Roboto Bananallama!
foliephonics
Sliders. Definitely sliders. That can be pushed all the way to 11 !
A ribbon controller, I'm sure, would get attention as well (much like Shakespeare suggested with PP and Rene, but juste the controller).
nanners nanners nanners
OIP
doboz tsnm + rings or plaits?
scuto
You've probably already thought of this: blank panels or an equivalent until the case is full.

Things with bigger knobs, maybe with color, like a Warps. Though that one changes the type of modulation and not the amount of modulation... Hmm. Frames may be too meta... The utility of thinking "aloud"!
TRVR
Hi Everyone -

Thanks for all your great suggestions. If you're interested, here's what I've got planned via Modular grid.

Atm, I'm just missing the syinsi VCOs and the 2hp delay (or something else useful there). Also planning to DIY a USB 1U module in the blank space.

Suggestions are welcome! I've also included some in-progress photos of the case.

Thanks!
-Trevor

cptnal
I hope you're painting that case.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1