MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polyend Preset
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Polyend Preset
Daisuk
This module doesn't seem to have its own dedicated thread, so here it is!

Polyend Preset Macro Controller + Sequencer

Add an entireley new layer of replicability in your modular system with The Polyend Preset! The Preset offers users 32 banks of 32 presets in which parameter values can be stored. Coupled with recordable CV automation, instant recall, and the ability to sequence through those presets. The Polyend Preset proves itself as an indefatigable resource in your modular kit, the implications of which are almost too vast to comprehend.

-9 completely configurable CV outputs
-8x4 Grid for custom control interfaces
-Sequence-able preset banks
-Record voltage changes of up to 30 seconds per output
-32 musical scales onboard

Here are some brief demos from Superbooth:

---

Anyone got one yet? I'm quite intrigued by it, but would love to hear and see it more of it used in the wild, so to speak.
mdoudoroff
Me too. I don’t think they’re quite in the wild, yet, but they do seem imminent.

Looks like the somewhat comparable Livestock Ellis and Shakmat Harlequin’s Context are still a ways off.
Funky40
Daisuk wrote:

the module looks interesting.
But: from my experience do you want to have a "reset-IN" assoon you can record CVs within a module.
Thus, i´d say as is, is the module too little on CV/trig inputs

there is also the Emblemeatic Catalyst controller. a Octatrack fader/scene style thing.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212906&highlight=

also the addac306 could be seen as related to some degree
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215159&highlight=
Daisuk
Funky40 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

the module looks interesting.
But: from my experience do you want to have a "reset-IN" assoon you can record CVs within a module.
Thus, i´d say as is, is the module too little on CV/trig inputs

there is also the Emblemeatic Catalyst controller. a Octatrack fader/scene style thing.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212906&highlight=

also the addac306 could be seen as related to some degree
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215159&highlight=

Yeah, it's a bit strange that it doesn't have a reset in. I guess it's meant to be played live, which is cool enough. I've actually ordered the Catalyst, so looking much forward to that, but this still looks interesting. You can achieve pretty much the same as this with a Hermod (I made a track just now doing it), but it's a bit more cumbersome to dial in the modulation tracks.

Also, the Voltage Block is quite similar, but less "hands on" with the pads - can definitely do pretty much the same thing though (although, it's maybe just unipolar?).
Daisuk
So the 30 seconds you can record per output is obviously spread out over all the preset buttons, right? Anyone caught any info on that? Or is it 30 secs per output per preset?
Dogma
Daisuk wrote:
So the 30 seconds you can record per output is obviously spread out over all the preset buttons, right? Anyone caught any info on that? Or is it 30 secs per output per preset?

Did you order the catalyst? Just about to - and then there’s this....
Daisuk
Dogma wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

Did you order the catalyst? Just about to - and then there’s this....

Yep. Still waiting for it to ship.
Tumulte
Has anyone recieved one yet ? Apparently, mine will be shipped on the 25th… I can't wait !
solipsvs
i ordered one... waiting patiently. i think this is a step in the right direction for getting more use out of the ol modular setup! looking forward to attempting something interesting! i can see my interest in this sort of thing growing, i hope these macro control style modules keep showing on the market. i have a medusa too but am actually trying to focus more on the modular. i sort of wish the slew was vc too. i wonder if there will be a version 2

love
Daisuk

He says at the end that it's unipolar and only sends out positive voltages. I thought the manufacturer said in one of the videos that it could send out negative voltages too? Hmmm. Anyone gotten one yet? hmmm.....
DCastillo
For those that have it: does it run quietly?
progerik
how does the preset compares to a voltage block ? thanks
dbeats
Daisuk wrote:

It is 30 secs per output per preset. It‘s up to a 30 secs envelope instead of a simple gate or cv.
dbeats
DCastillo wrote:
For those that have it: does it run quietly?

Yes, no mechanical clicks or electric noises whatsoever. Was that the question?
dbeats
progerik wrote:
how does the preset compares to a voltage block ? thanks

This is my first impression:

+ can do 0-10v instead of 0-5v
+ can do up to 32 steps instead of 16
+ besides gates, notes and cv can also record and play envelopes
+ 9 instead of 8 channels
+ endless rotaries instead of linear faders per channel
+ better overall user interface and very helpful display
+ can dial in notes and cv much more precisely
+ can do live recording of either manual rotary movement or cv input, PLUS can select 32 different playback speeds of the recorded envelope PER STEP

- no reset input (immediately missed it so much!)
- no random cv outs
- no different play directions, just forward
- no muting, no freezing
- no clock divider

Maybe these missing functions could be added with future firmware updates. Everything except the reset input should be possible.

The work flow is a bit strange, because you are really mixing the concept of presets with the concept of a step sequencer: you can and have to select the output type of each channel PER PRESET/STEP. So when used as a sequencer, you could have a channel 1 with a note output on step 1, a gate output on step 2 and an envelope on step 3 and so on. It‘s a bit crazy.

It takes quite a few button presses plus rotary combinations and copies/pastes of steps to set up a simple multi channel sequencer like the Voltage Block, putting out notes or cv on every step. Luckily, the copy/paste function is super fast and easy, so I think you can get used to it.

All in all my initial conclusion is that Voltage Block is more a sequencer and Preset is more a preset recaller, IMO. But I have to spend more time with my Preset for better judgement.
solipsvs
thanks for the prognosis
dbeats
My second impression is, Preset differs much more from a sequencer than I thought before, and I must admit that I had some wrong expectations. Here are some less obvious findings:

- as already pointed out, no reset input, so you have to sync the beginning of a pattern manually, like with Rene
- while it can output gates, they seem to have a fixed gate high length of ~120ms, no shorter triggers possible
- let's say you want to program a 16 step trigger/gate pattern, then you have to manually switch through 16 presets and rotate the corresponding channel encoders whenever you want to program a gate. You never see more than one step at a time, because you cannot use the 32 lit preset buttons to simply display the whole 16 or 32 step pattern of a single channel. This is rather time-consuming and confusing. I'm sure nobody would use it like that.
- you cannot add or remove gates or modify notes on the fly while running, because the presets simply continue to cycle, it's not possible to edit any certain step without first disconnecting the clock input cable and later re-syncing manually again.
- you cannot record a cv sequence in sync with the clock. There is only one single input jack that can be used EITHER as a clock input or a cv recording input. You need to hold down the Rec button manually for the length of the recording, also when recording from a knob turned by hand. The cv recording is triggered like a one-shot sample with looping, with adjustable playback speed, meant to be played only as long as the selected single preset/step is active.

So, huge differences compared to a typical sequencer and also compared to Voltage Block.

BTW the whole cv recording feature is a bit disappointing overall, IMO. The recording resolution is only ~10hz, so a triangle wave becomes a stepped triangle like from a 10hz s&h. You can enable smoothing, but it's a global parameter. So then you would be able to replicate a smoother triangle wave, but at the same time a clean square wave would become sort of a cropped dirty triangle....
tuj
So far I see some drawback but I've been in talks about an update to the firmware to address what I see as some limitations.
solipsvs
will you make the preset bi-polar instead of unipolar?
22 Comments
Comment
Comments
Oldest

Polyend
Polyend There's no such plans.

· Reply · 6h

solipsvs this was not disclosed at the announcement, i would not have bought it if it had been. will you take it back please? there are other modules that do more for less money. this seems to be a common affliction that polyend products suffer from.

· Reply · 6h

Polyend
Polyend Was there a single word about Preset sending out bi-polar values? If so, let us take a look. If you're not happy with your gear please contact your retailer. If you'd have any further inquiries reach out to hello@polyend.com.

· Reply · 5h

Polyend
Polyend solipsvs, the detailed manual for the Preset module was published at least a month before it was available for purchase. The full specs were available from SB19.

· Reply · 3h

Polyend
Polyend Why should we mention things that are not available in our instruments? We're mentioning the available functionalities.

· Reply · 3h

solipsvs ok i didnt see the manual. why is it not bi-polar?

· Reply · 3h

Polyend
Polyend Here's the manual - http://polyend.com/.../2019/06/Polyend_Preset_Manual_web.pdf

· Reply · 3h

Polyend
Polyend We've made it the exact way we wanted, probably that's why.

· Reply · 3h

solipsvs Polyend this limits its application, doesnt it? would it be more expensive as bi-polar?

· Reply · 3h

Polyend
Polyend We're heavy Eurorack users, we've never found this limiting in any possible way. Probably your workflow is different than ours. It's virtually impossible to make everyone happy. It's not about the price, at all. Rather than initial approach to coding the firmware.

· Reply · 3h

Hide 12 Replies

solipsvs well, using it, ive noticed that my bi-polar modules’ parameter resolution cant be totally accessed with preset.

· Reply · 3h

Polyend
Polyend As we've mentioned. It's kinda impossible to make something that will suit all, don't you think?

· Reply · 2h

solipsvs Polyend would not a bi-polar capable preset work for modules that are unipolar?

· Reply · 2h

Polyend
Polyend Probably would. But what's the point. It isn't cause that's the way we've made it. And we like it as it is at the moment.

· Reply · 2h

solipsvs would it just mean some code adjustment?

· Reply · 2h

Polyend
Polyend I'm not a coder, but it would rather need writing the code or a part of it from scratch I guess.

· Reply · 2h

solipsvs are you interested in what your customers want, or only what you want?

· Reply · 2h

Polyend
Polyend We're totally interested in what our customers think, but that doesn't automatically mean we'll be able to make everyone's dreams or requests come true. Just from today, we've learned you want us to start producing dust covers cause Elektron does, fully rewrite the firmware for the Seq and the Preset. You're dropping elaborates on the groups. You're not into reading manuals before buying stuff. Do you even have time to make music or just dropping requests? Please send some of your music so we can appreciate your efforts. Now please have a good rest of the day and try to use our official email hello@polyend.com for further conversation. Respectfully

· Reply · 2h · Edited

solipsvs youre being silly. doesnt sound like that much effort honestly. also what producer of modules rejects the opportunit to sell accessories? btw heres the thread that people are reading regarding preset: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220476...
MUFF WIGGLER :: View topic - Polyend Preset
muffwiggler.com

· Reply · Remove Preview · 2h

solipsvs Polyend are you serious? you think i dont have a good reason to make a request? and youre rude toa guy who gave you quite a bit of money. you have a few lessons to learn its more than clear.

· Reply · 2h

Polyend
Polyend Apologies if you've felt touched by any of the words above. Please point out what's the rude one. Also, consider that our work isn't really fulfilling anyone's requests. We make gear, that's pretty much it. We don't have much to add now. Cheers.

· Reply · 2h · Edited

solipsvs your assumption that you can berate me and take away my right to make a fucking request after giving you almost $3000 is my gripe you fucking piece of shit. also that i dont make music? why the fuck would i have a reason to ask you seriously smug asshole? now are you still clueless? you dont want my business do you? who the hell taught you its ok to talk this way to a customer you self serving self absorbed motherfucker? kiss my ass. if you think ill be buying your underdeveloped excuses for gear from now on, please think again.
ignatius
this is made for moments like this.

solipsvs
can i get a sample of that violin
Daisuk
solipsvs wrote:
22 Comments
Comment
Comments
Oldest

Polyend
Polyend There's no such plans.

· Reply · 6h

solipsvs this was not disclosed at the announcement, i would not have bought it if it had been. will you take it back please? there are other modules that do more for less money. this seems to be a common affliction that polyend products suffer from.

· Reply · 6h

Polyend
Polyend Was there a single word about Preset sending out bi-polar values? If so, let us take a look. If you're not happy with your gear please contact your retailer. If you'd have any further inquiries reach out to hello@polyend.com.

· Reply · 5h

Polyend
Polyend solipsvs, the detailed manual for the Preset module was published at least a month before it was available for purchase. The full specs were available from SB19.

· Reply · 3h

Polyend
Polyend Why should we mention things that are not available in our instruments? We're mentioning the available functionalities.

· Reply · 3h

solipsvs ok i didnt see the manual. why is it not bi-polar?

· Reply · 3h

Polyend
Polyend Here's the manual - http://polyend.com/.../2019/06/Polyend_Preset_Manual_web.pdf

· Reply · 3h

Polyend
Polyend We've made it the exact way we wanted, probably that's why.

· Reply · 3h

solipsvs Polyend this limits its application, doesnt it? would it be more expensive as bi-polar?

· Reply · 3h

Polyend
Polyend We're heavy Eurorack users, we've never found this limiting in any possible way. Probably your workflow is different than ours. It's virtually impossible to make everyone happy. It's not about the price, at all. Rather than initial approach to coding the firmware.

· Reply · 3h

Hide 12 Replies

solipsvs well, using it, ive noticed that my bi-polar modules’ parameter resolution cant be totally accessed with preset.

· Reply · 3h

Polyend
Polyend As we've mentioned. It's kinda impossible to make something that will suit all, don't you think?

· Reply · 2h

solipsvs Polyend would not a bi-polar capable preset work for modules that are unipolar?

· Reply · 2h

Polyend
Polyend Probably would. But what's the point. It isn't cause that's the way we've made it. And we like it as it is at the moment.

· Reply · 2h

solipsvs would it just mean some code adjustment?

· Reply · 2h

Polyend
Polyend I'm not a coder, but it would rather need writing the code or a part of it from scratch I guess.

· Reply · 2h

solipsvs are you interested in what your customers want, or only what you want?

· Reply · 2h

Polyend
Polyend We're totally interested in what our customers think, but that doesn't automatically mean we'll be able to make everyone's dreams or requests come true. Just from today, we've learned you want us to start producing dust covers cause Elektron does, fully rewrite the firmware for the Seq and the Preset. You're dropping elaborates on the groups. You're not into reading manuals before buying stuff. Do you even have time to make music or just dropping requests? Please send some of your music so we can appreciate your efforts. Now please have a good rest of the day and try to use our official email hello@polyend.com for further conversation. Respectfully

· Reply · 2h · Edited

solipsvs youre being silly. doesnt sound like that much effort honestly. also what producer of modules rejects the opportunit to sell accessories? btw heres the thread that people are reading regarding preset: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220476...
MUFF WIGGLER :: View topic - Polyend Preset
muffwiggler.com

· Reply · Remove Preview · 2h

solipsvs Polyend are you serious? you think i dont have a good reason to make a request? and youre rude toa guy who gave you quite a bit of money. you have a few lessons to learn its more than clear.

· Reply · 2h

Polyend
Polyend Apologies if you've felt touched by any of the words above. Please point out what's the rude one. Also, consider that our work isn't really fulfilling anyone's requests. We make gear, that's pretty much it. We don't have much to add now. Cheers.

· Reply · 2h · Edited

solipsvs your assumption that you can berate me and take away my right to make a fucking request after giving you almost $3000 is my gripe you fucking piece of shit. also that i dont make music? why the fuck would i have a reason to ask you seriously smug asshole? now are you still clueless? you dont want my business do you? who the hell taught you its ok to talk this way to a customer you self serving self absorbed motherfucker? kiss my ass. if you think ill be buying your underdeveloped excuses for gear from now on, please think again.

Jesus, man, get a grip. You obviously should've read the specs/manual before buying it. I'd also love for it to be bipolar, but it isn't, so I didn't buy it. You could always pair it with some attenuverters. Aggressively requesting a feature like this to the manufacturer, being entitled as hell in the process, is obviously not going to help anyone.
fjoesz
solipsvs wrote:
22 Comments
Comment
Comments
Oldest
blablabla

dude, that's pathetic.
dbeats
FWIW: I visited Polyend at superbooth19 this year and asked about the technical specs of the Preset and Poly 2, especially output voltage range. Polyend told me that they made a hardware design decision in favor of high precision unipolar DACs to output quantized note voltages as accurate as possible. Bipolar DACs would have been less accurate they said. Sounds reasonable, especially for the Poly 2. Anyway, this is apparently hardware-related and not firmware-changeable.

Personally, I would have preferred bipolar voltage outs for the Preset, because I'll probably use it mainly as a cv mod source and not as a note sequencer. But at least I am very happy with 0-10v, compared to 0-5v of the Voltage Block (which is still a great product).
solipsvs
i am entitled to a request without being disrespected. thats the simple truth.

i had a few questions that i politely asked over the last 2 weeks, since i own a number of polyend products and they all were ignored so when someone started responding i asked until i got a real answer which obviously wasnt the answer you got. im the guy with $3000 to spend, youd think i might get a straight answer. well they lost any further business from me because they insulted me when i asked. in my business, i dont treat people like he treated me. this whole thing was not public, so he had no good reason to respond like that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2