Polyend Preset

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3789
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:07 am

solipsvs wrote:i am entitled to a request without being disrespected. thats the simple truth.

i had a few questions that i politely asked over the last 2 weeks, since i own a number of polyend products and they all were ignored so when someone started responding i asked until i got a real answer which obviously wasnt the answer you got. im the guy with $3000 to spend, youd think i might get a straight answer. well they lost any further business from me because they insulted me when i asked. in my business, i dont treat people like he treated me. this whole thing was not public, so he had no good reason to respond like that.
You did get a straight answer, though, many times, but kept pushing them. What did you want them to say? They told you straight up that there were no plans to make the module bipolar - then you continue to nag them about adding it as a feature with no regard as to how the module/firmware is actually made, insinuating it should be an easy task (how would you know?), and that they're somehow disrespecting their customers for not wanting to rewrite the entire code from scratch to cater to a single customer asking for this feature to be added. As Polyend points out, the manual clearly states that it sends out unipolar signals.

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2999
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by tuj » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:21 am

1. I agree that customers deserve respect and even a degree of deference fro the manufacturers. I have had issues before with certain manufacturers who flamed me here on Muffs for claiming their module was garbage because I couldn't get good results out of it. Turned out they were expecting a 3v PTP signal which is not Eurorack standard, nor did they mention this in the manual nor did the module have an attenuator on the input. So yeah, you can't flame your customers for things you didn't tell them. But as far as the uni vs bi stuff, that's almost always a hardware thing.

2. Customers have to have reasonable expectations. Polyend is not Korg or Roland. Firmware updates can accomplish a lot but there are ultimately hardware limitations.

3. While we're at it, I think the Preset is at the edge of being a real performance game-changer IF they could implement something; change queueing and quantization. What I'm talking about is sending a clock to the CV in and then if you press button 2, it won't actually change to the button 2 values until the clock hits. This way you could send it a 1 bar clock and use that to give yourself time to change the preset and do some other things on your rig for the next bar.

User avatar
solipsvs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: not how i really look

Post by solipsvs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:44 am

Daisuk wrote:
solipsvs wrote:i am entitled to a request without being disrespected. thats the simple truth.

i had a few questions that i politely asked over the last 2 weeks, since i own a number of polyend products and they all were ignored so when someone started responding i asked until i got a real answer which obviously wasnt the answer you got. im the guy with $3000 to spend, youd think i might get a straight answer. well they lost any further business from me because they insulted me when i asked. in my business, i dont treat people like he treated me. this whole thing was not public, so he had no good reason to respond like that.
You did get a straight answer, though, many times, but kept pushing them. What did you want them to say? They told you straight up that there were no plans to make the module bipolar - then you continue to nag them about adding it as a feature with no regard as to how the module/firmware is actually made, insinuating it should be an easy task (how would you know?), and that they're somehow disrespecting their customers for not wanting to rewrite the entire code from scratch to cater to a single customer asking for this feature to be added. As Polyend points out, the manual clearly states that it sends out unipolar signals.
not true dude, i asked for details that would easily put my request to rest. because we wanted it that way is not a reason, especially not when you finance their behavior. i deserved an answer similar to the one given to the guy who visited their booth. i deserved something other than what i got, which was a smug dismissal. oh well, its their customer base, of which im no longer a member. like i said, when talking to my customers, i offer the truth and a real explanation, not a dismissal. they pay my bills after all!

not to mention, i asked if it was a hardware limitation when i asked if it was a simple coding matter. did you see that? now youre trolling.

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3789
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:55 am

solipsvs wrote: not true dude, i asked for details that would easily put my request to rest. because we wanted it that way is not a reason, especially not when you finance their behavior. i deserved an answer similar to the one given to the guy who visited their booth. i deserved something other than what i got, which was a smug dismissal. oh well, its their customer base, of which im no longer a member. like i said, when talking to my customers, i offer the truth and a real explanation, not a dismissal. they pay my bills after all!

not to mention, i asked if it was a hardware limitation when i asked if it was a simple coding matter. did you see that? now youre trolling.
There's a lot that could be said here, but the fact of the matter is you bought a piece of gear which had its specifications stated in its manual - you didn't read the manual, yet purchased the module anyway, then complain it doesn't function like you wished it did after getting it. The responsibility for the pickle you find yourself in is 100% yours.

User avatar
solipsvs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: not how i really look

Post by solipsvs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:16 pm

blah blah customer service

fjoesz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: amsterdam

Post by fjoesz » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:18 am

haha they insulted you?
they didn't insult you enough for my taste
feeling soooo entitled and just beying a jerk yourself
cry baby

User avatar
solipsvs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: not how i really look

Post by solipsvs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:47 am

lol as if you matter. i am entitled, they have my money. this crap isnt cheap. uber nerds like you like to fire off insults because their self image needs as much help as possible. sticks and stones

you dont talk to customers that way, period. i dont care if youre half a world away or if you think youre intellectually superior. either you want to earn return patronage or you want to push it away. either youre on a high horse or you have your feet on the ground. you can usually tell who is who. polyend revealed themselves.

ok, any other shills need to defend their comrades?

fjoesz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: amsterdam

Post by fjoesz » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:15 am

but don't you reed the words you typed yourself?

I've read it again and don't see where they have insulted you.
They were polite, answering your questions and you were acting like the king of the universe and from the start you were aggressive. at least you come accross that way.
where were they rude to you?
you say"you dont talk to customers that way, period."
what do you mean?
what does a customer have to do before a company is allowed to be a little more firm in their answers.
you went in, going for war, unprepared, didn't get what you want(why should they) and now you're playing the P.C. card. think about your own actions for a few minutes. read your posts. and chill the fuck out

User avatar
solipsvs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: not how i really look

Post by solipsvs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:41 pm

:roll:

warpath? youre reading stuff into what i wrote. i wanted to return it and get something that worked with bipolar modules, not shut polyend down. it would have totally satisfied me to learn that they did it that way because of resolution etc.

thanks for your warped point of view, you must have something to do with producing modules. if so, you owe your customers an explanation when they dont have all the info they need to understand your product. period. did you know that you can turn a sour customer into an ally by answering their questions like you care about their perception of you? i have to do it all the time. if your products are not cheap, even moreso. as a business owner, one needs to decide if they want to create misgivings or to receive accolades. this is true of most any interaction. i dont pay to be ignored or given a BS line like ‘because we wanted it that way’. and i dont treat customers of my business like that. you as the owner of a company have the privilage of making money and staying employed among many other privilages. among them is not the freedom to mistreat a customer who has an incomplete understanding of your offering. that will always backfire, as it should. as long as you make a good faith effort to address misunderstandings held by customers, you give the impression that you care about the way they regard you. in other words, you owe it to your paying customers and even to those who might become customers to engage with respect and truth, not dismissal.

now please just get lost, since youre not my customer. i am willing to bet you have never been responsible in a provider/customer scenario, and if you have been then you dont belong in that position.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: amsterdam

Post by fjoesz » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:59 pm

:yay: haha dude, allright, carry on and good luck :bananaguitar:

User avatar
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:52 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:34 pm

so has anybody used this? thinking of swapping my pressure points out for it for whole-system on the fly change stuff

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2999
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by tuj » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:23 am

Yeah I'm using it. So far I like it a lot for the application you mentioned; PP replacement. The 'brains' side of the equation is rather primitive and lacking controls via CV but there is potential for the module.

I continue to ask for a firmware update that would 'queue' scene changes until the next clock.

User avatar
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:52 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Just got one, running into a weird issue where the Preset will randomly jump to preset #16 without me touching the pad, especially when trying to pick some other preset. anybody have this happen?

UPDATE: Big props to Polyend for responding to this quickly! Turned out the screw holding the pads together was a smidge too tight. Take the back off, loosen the knob, everything's groovy

User avatar
solipsvs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: not how i really look

Post by solipsvs » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:11 am

looks like customer service is again a priority to polyend.

User avatar
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:52 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:25 pm

solipsvs wrote:looks like customer service is again a priority to polyend.
yeah dude they're really great

jessemiller
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:25 am

Post by jessemiller » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:25 pm

When I'm using CV in set to gate mode and moving between presets that have a gate for one of the outputs I'm not getting a gate off. It holds the voltage instead of acting like a trigger. Any way to change this? It is slightly problematic when running a sequence to a gate/pitch voice.

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2999
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by tuj » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Mine was randomly jumping to row 3 column 1 without any clocking. Polyend sent me a new unit. Haven’t tested it yet.

seuil974
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Post by seuil974 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:31 am

So finally guys do you think having already Voltage Blocks is non sense taking a Polyend Preset? thx

User avatar
dbeats
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re:

Post by dbeats » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:21 pm

seuil974 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:31 am
So finally guys do you think having already Voltage Blocks is non sense taking a Polyend Preset? thx
Not at all.

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:35 am
Location: London

Re: Polyend Preset

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Looks interesting, is glide "per step" or is it a global setting applied to channels?

I think the lack of queuing is a big miss and I'm hoping future firmware sorts that out.

What I like about the preset is that all the channels are decoupled and can be any kind of output - very modular.

But one cv input seems a little ungenerous. It's crying out for a dedicated gate input so the CV input can be freed up for modulating it's parameters, no?

User avatar
solipsvs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: not how i really look

Re: Polyend Preset

Post by solipsvs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:29 pm

funny i had the same thoughts

Bammers
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:47 am

Re: Polyend Preset

Post by Bammers » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:51 am

Has anyone come across a way to switch banks in time with the incoming clock?

thetechnobear
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Polyend Preset

Post by thetechnobear » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:18 am

Im intrigued by this as a possibility to add more modulation sources to my rack....

I was thinking, I can get around the no reset in, by using a sequence (or sync'd LFO) to select presets explicitly (CV IN = CV).
sequencer allows for arbitrary choice select of preset, which could be fun.
this does mean messing about with a attenuverter to gain the signal to the 0..10v range, but possible - no?

what I'd really like to see is a new CV IN mode, one which is similar to CV IN=CV, but instead uses v/oct,
e.g. 0v = preset 0, 1v = preset 12, 2v = preset 24
this would make it trivial to use a sequencer v/oct to sequence preset changes :)

Q.is smoothing only applied to recorded values? and slew is only used when switching presets?
Id really love them to make slew/smoothing per encoder, or failing that, and option to turn it off if you have an encoder in NOTES (Cyan) mode.
(my main concern, is id like to have smooth and slewed values when targeting vc on modules except when hitting v/oct cv.)


generally, have have others found it as a modulation source? is the output smooth enough?

User avatar
pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Polyend Preset

Post by pyrolator » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:51 am

Does anyone know how to find out which firmware is installed?
I saw that 1.05 is availible and I am not sure about the version on my module....

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1681
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: Polyend Preset

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:52 pm

Email them

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”