MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
talfred
I just discovered this software by Steinberg.
Actually it was developed by Sony and later owned by MAGIX.
This new version seems so good, I'm thinking about all the things I could be doing with it. Editing is like working with Photoshop, only with audio (FFT) where you can cut out certain frequencies or even instrument parts and then past it into another layer for further editing or mixing. It's also possible to morph sounds and exract vocals and instruments from songs, remove noise from bad recordings and a lot more.

Here's one of Steinbergs promo videos (it's just somebody talking about it, not actually using it):

Here's another video with somebody actually using it to make a stereo version of an old mono only song (using version 5 of SpectraLayers):

Another demo using SL Pro from Sony, using it to mix a speaking voice and background music (spectral casting and molding). Audio example starting at about 5:20:

Vocoder effect at 9:25

I know there are other good tools for doing things like this (for example Melodyne), but this program seems better than the others.

It's half price now for august, and they have a 30 day demo.

Anybody here already using it?
Funky40
at half price its 199$ .......?
d'oh! steinberg d'oh!

ok for pros but for hobbyists ?

my thought: this kind of software requires quite advanced people who know exactly what they are doing and more so: what they want to do !

just ask yourself if your music needs such thing ? and how much time your willing to spend.
guess: time beeing here the bigger investment than the $, finally.
peripatitis
Funky40 wrote:
at half price its 199$ .......?
d'oh! steinberg d'oh!

ok for pros but for hobbyists ?

my thought: this kind of software requires quite advanced people who know exactly what they are doing and more so: what they want to do !

just ask yourself if your music needs such thing ? and how much time your willing to spend.
guess: time beeing here the bigger investment than the $, finally.

+1
I've upgraded from v4 but i'd say that the pricing is not that high, considering that it is a very ingenious tools.
There is a very interesting thread at kvr's where the developers discuss some of their plans for the future and it is very promising.

Opening it up for very specific and detailed processing is at it's best.
Wandering around for inspiration can be useful but the workflow then is a bit meh

Also the ARA thingy for me doesn't really work (I do not have that kind of desktop space) although I can see in different setups it might help with the workflow issues I have.
Outsider Sound Design
Sound design experiments with Steinberg SpectraLayers Pro 6. Each sound is spectral collage made from several audio files.

secretkillerofnames
I like it. It does some things that Metasynth does also but I feel the end result is a little more seamless and has less of that obvious "spectral" sheen. As an ARA in REAPER it seems to work pretty well also.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1