MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for SID tips
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Looking for SID tips
snaper
Hi Guys,

I have a modded C64 for MSSIAH, but, to be honest, I've never ever used it for music production.
I'm just way toooo lazy for that.
So, I've decided, I'll sold the cartridge and I'll cannibalise the SID from the C64, that is the only thing worth something.

Is there any DIY project to turn the SID chip into something usable?
Like, some desktop, MIDI synth thing?
I'm looking for a complete DIY kit solution, preferably not in euro format, but a desktop thing.
I know MidiBox, but that would be to much work, I'm looking for something you could build quickly, comes in a kit format, with case and such.

Any ideas?
Schlumpfhut
Found two SID based projects:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582
snaper
Yapp, that is problem. I’d love to build one, but there are no kits, sourcing the parts, specially the enclosure would be a pain right now...
revtor
People do short runs of enclosures / group buys etc in the Midibox world.. need to stay on the pulse in the forums. They do come up for sale every once in a while here too!
May find someone with one FS if you ask around...
Steve
paperCUT
I can't help much with recent projects, looks like the old staples are long abandoned.

Off topic but you just reminded me of something cool I have an early model C64 in storage that has never been unboxed. It came from surplus my father bought in the 80's when he did modifications for Dick Smith in Australia. Would make for an interesting video to try and get it running!
jorg
IEEE Spectrum (magazine of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) has announced that the 6581 SID is Chip Of The Year.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/silicon-revolution/chip-hall-of -fame-mos-technology-6581

I was lucky enough to meet Bob Yannes - he offered me a job, which sadly I was unable to take. His company became Ensoniq.
Jaytee
MIDIbox is really the way to go. To my knowledge, it’s currently the only DIY SID project in a complete, ready-to-build state. And even if it weren’t the only one available, it’s also by far the best and most powerful synth engine ever created for SIDs, well worth the effort to build it.

Honestly, if you go with an MB-6582, it comes pretty close to meeting your requirements. Modular Addict sells the PCBs. The desktop enclosure is readily available as an off-the-shelf part. The build is not small, but it’s not huge either, and if you’re only planning to use 1-2 SIDs, you can leave out a large amount of components on the main board.

If you’re really opposed to the amount of work involved with the MIDIbox, then maybe grab a TherapSID. It’s not DIY, but it’s a decent synth. They come with emulated SID chips but you can swap in your real one. Quick and easy.

But again, the MIDIbox is *so* worth the effort. One might never have thought of SIDs as “serious” synth chips, but the MIDIbox SID transforms it into a true behemoth of sound design. Really can’t emphasize enough how awesome it is.
captnapalm
The SammichSID was the "here's a kit with all the stuff you need but SID chips" offshoot that many people built. Maybe you could put up an ISO post in the wanted section? There have to be people who bought kits but never got around to it.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=sammichsid
skee
The Sammitch is a great build, and sounds great but very fiddly to work with. You would be better going for one of the more knobby options if you can source the boards and parts.
Jaytee
I don’t think SammichSIDs are *that* bad to work with—I had one before I built my MB-6582. Even with knobs, you’re probably gonna do a bit of menu-diving. It’s just a deep synth engine. The software editor works pretty well too. (The knobs are fun for live jams tho!)

That said, the chances of finding an unbuilt sammich are pretty much nil. Kits were last made like ten years ago. And, despite being ostensibly open source, the designers have gone MIA and took all design files with them. Kinda shitty imho. I’ve seen a handful pop up since they went OOP, including the one I built, but none in years now. And you’re best off avoiding the clones on eBay, they’re unauthorized and I’ve heard people having issues with them.
wadesey
I haven't had mine set up in a few years, but I did have a Midibox SID working well controlling it using the MIOS Studio program and the CTRLR panel only (which I think only works with one, older version of CTRLR...)
http://ctrlr.org/midibox-sid-v2/
I had it working basically as a VST plugin.

I built it inside the case of a the broken C64 that I took one of the SIDs from. Pretty easy to re-purpose the C64 power supply, drill holes for the output jacks, etc. I always meant to add more controls for it, but stalled out and only have an LCD screen.

It's a fun project if you're in to tinkering around and the result is way less fiddly than MSSIAH (which is still a cool way to fully incorporate the C64 though). But if you want quick, dropping a real SID into a TherapSID would be the go probably.
DSC
I has sammiches! One with 8580's and one with 6581's. Usually in most of my patches.

ranix
it's not easy finding a SID that works. I'm zero for 3, and each attempt is $60 US. The filter is usually dead
EATyourGUITAR
C64 for MSSIAH is great! keep it! why change it? this is everything that is great about the C64 but also with midi. there are trackers. you can write your own software. you get a tv screen. you get storage. it is perfect.
DSC
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
C64 for MSSIAH is great! keep it! why change it? this is everything that is great about the C64 but also with midi. there are trackers. you can write your own software. you get a tv screen. you get storage. it is perfect.

That's great advice too! You could still customize your C64 even furthur, if you wanted too. I built a custom box for my C128D setup. Did it more in a 'guitar' style.

AlanP
ranix wrote:
it's not easy finding a SID that works. I'm zero for 3, and each attempt is $60 US. The filter is usually dead

I thought that SID clones were available for sale?
Jaytee
AlanP wrote:
ranix wrote:

I thought that SID clones were available for sale?

Yeah, but that can of worms is a mixed bag at best. SwinSID doesn’t emulate the filter (unless something has changed), while FPGA SID is more expensive than an actual working SID.

Best option is to buy a working C64, swap out the real SID for a Swin, then sell the C64 on (being honest about the replacement of course).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1