MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

7 Filters but which is THE desert-isle-one?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 7 Filters but which is THE desert-isle-one?
NewSynthOnTheBlock
sad banana
1st of all, sorry for bugging you!
Guess it is a kind off these unecessary threads, but I am just curious what you would choose.
I ve got 7 vcfs in my rack, but want to sell some and cannot decide.

Regardless from things like what I am using the most, what are else in my rack, what are my goals, I just want your point of view which VCF from my list would be your desert-island one and why.
I know, they are different and have their pros and cons and its not fair or possible (multifilters vs lowpass only and so on)to compare, but maybe it is a more subjective answer.

Filters are:

North coast synthesis MSK Leapfrog 007
Erica Synths black Polivoks VCF MK2
System 80 Jove
Vintage Synthlab VCF 74
Snazzy FX Eternal Spring Filter
Xaoc Belgrad
Joranalogue Filter 8

hmmm.....
chaosick
NewSynthOnTheBlock wrote:
sad banana
1st of all, sorry for bugging you!
Guess it is a kind off these unecessary threads, but I am just curious what you would choose.
I ve got 7 vcfs in my rack, but want to sell some and cannot decide.

Regardless from things like what I am using the most, what are else in my rack, what are my goals, I just want your point of view which VCF from my list would be your desert-island one and why.
I know, they are different and have their pros and cons and its not fair or possible (multifilters vs lowpass only and so on)to compare, but maybe it is a more subjective answer.

Filters are:

North coast synthesis MSK Leapfrog 007
Erica Synths black Polivoks VCF MK2
System 80 Jove
Vintage Synthlab VCF 74
Snazzy FX Eternal Spring Filter
Xaoc Belgrad
Joranalogue Filter 8

hmmm.....

Filter 8, it does the most.
mdoudoroff
Yeah, in the absence of additional factors, probably Filter 8.
starthief
I would also choose Filter 8. I'm not much of a filter junkie, but it's super versatile, sounds great, easy to work with and has a nice light show Mr. Green
pieter
Which one do you patch the most with? Keep that one.
NewSynthOnTheBlock
Wow..so much filter 8 love around here. Rockin' Banana!
cg_funk
Wow, let me join the Filter8 party. It's totally Filter8 for me. This thing is the ultimate utility module. If I were to make a minimal case the one module I couldn't part with is the Filter8. In practice it's just so easy to patch and perfectly predictable in how it functions that I can just put it right to use.

I also have the Belgrad, and wow what a great filter it is, especially when it goes into funky cross resonance, but it's also very unpredictable and hard to dial in - for some sounds/filter mode combinations I don't even notice what the filter does at all.

If I were to have just one thing in that list the Filter8 covers just so much more ground compared to the others, its not exactly a fair comparison.
cackland
Can't attest to the others mentioned but I would take my Filter8 also wink
slowpilgrim
filter 8 is king
lisa
Yep, Filter 8. I would also keep the Polivoks clone (I love it and it’s so different from F8). Belgrad is cool too. The others I haven’t tried.
johny_gtr
I have only VSL74 filter from this list, and even didn't hear all these filters demos (no info about MSK Leapfrog 007 and Snazzy FX Eternal Spring Filter)
but can recommend VSL.

It's not multi-tool, just HPF-LPF combo with boost but VSL has its own (Korg one) character and it sounds great. After the filter digital oscs sounds more interesting and solid.

on the dessert island I will choose Belgrad. It looks like a gem. Great UI.
NewSynthOnTheBlock
I expected the JOVE would be everyones Darling.
The VCF 74 is great but it is terrible noisy and I hate this extra narrow resonance which can be cool but not easy to dial without squealing in my ears. Bit I like its raw character

The Leapfrog is very special builld-like-a-tank with a hardcore filter slope about 61 dB.
Somewhat gnarly. Not a very versatille VCF, but nice for special parts and has an extra VCA integraded. Tracks as a sine VCO very well too.

On the belgrad the distortion type sound is my go to if its necessary and it has somewhat unpredictable, as mentioned before. The Polivoks on higher res too. Like all that erica layout. Gives a good Feeling to wiggle those knobs. It was my first vcf module and I hooked it up with my external Korg Microkorg Digital Synth. Great combo. Should test it with the vcf 74 too...korg on korg..hehehehe

Yeah, the filter 8 offers the most bang for the buck.
The snazzy is a very dirty one too. I like making basedrums with its filter resonance, but did not use it as a normal Filter smile
The jove is actually my most used because I love that Roland sound, but have the original on some vintage Junos so I am about to let it go in my modular although I like it. I Dunno..damn. smile nanners hmmm.....

I think I will stick with 3 VCFs, rest gonna leave the building
thumbs up
Anjunagasm
The Jove is definitely my dessert island filter. It sounds so nice!
Parnelli
Wow... I have none of those filters!

Now I feel inept, damn it. d'oh!
BlinkyLights
Parnelli wrote:
Wow... I have none of those filters!

Now I feel inept, damn it. d'oh!

I never realized the Joranalogue Filter 8 was so loved. I've never paid it or their gear any real attention. Interesting.
lisa
BlinkyLights wrote:
I never realized the Joranalogue Filter 8 was so loved. I've never paid it or their gear any real attention. Interesting.

Joranalogue is still a rather fresh maker but Joran really gives the impression that he's an exceptional engineer that makes very thorough research before he designs any new module. A maker to keep an eye on, for sure.
Parnelli
I'll have to look into the Filter 8, it looks pretty nice!

Damn, and I was thinking about retiring at the end of the month too.... oh well!
Multi Grooves
Filter8 for me...
nios
At this point in time, I honestly am not seeing seeing the hype about Filter8. I've read up on it, heard hours of demos for it and nothing it does has really ~really~ impressed me. Maybe I'd have to get one and side-by-side it. I have 9 filters and it's very hard for new entries to bring in something that grabs me - Stereo Dipole is my current fav, and I don't see much contesting that position for a long while; honestly it makes most other filters look (rather, sound) like a joke.

Anyway out of that list, Jove or Belgrad I'd say, as to which, depends on what kind of music you want to make - for pure sound aesthetic the Jove is practically one giant sweet spot, while Belgrad can do a lot more variety in timbres. Its ability to overdrive and pinch the poles on some modes to really whine hoarsely is a suitable-enough standin for VCF-74's role, which is a filter I also absolutely love but is generally only picked if I happen to think "... I want to really dirty up this signal."
BlinkyLights
lisa wrote:
BlinkyLights wrote:

Joranalogue is still a rather fresh maker but Joran really gives the impression that he's an exceptional engineer that makes very thorough research before he designs any new module. A maker to keep an eye on, for sure.

Very cool, thanks for the tip. I will...
Pighood
Belgrad for form factor & ease of use....no bling, just sing.
miles_macquarrie
You guys are all making me happy that I ordered a Filter 8 Last Week.

My other two Filters are the Belgrad and QPAS.
cackland
Yes, agree with Lisa. Joranalogue is quickly becoming my favorite module maker and Filter 8 is a perfect reason why.
three86
belgrad for me everything about it is FUN. The big knob, the lighted sliders, so many modes, being able to keep my cables plugged in to the same jacks.
EATyourGUITAR
if it were me, I would sell off the snazzy. lots of filters can do distortion. who cares. some of them are special. to me it just sounds average.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2