MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

7 Filters but which is THE desert-isle-one?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author 7 Filters but which is THE desert-isle-one?
thetwlo
WTF? it's a personal decision
. It's what YOU LiKE and how you use it.
Why would you ask others? many would saY "NONE"! I DO IT ADDITIVE.
why ask this?

that's an odd list of filters.
thetwlo
NewSynthOnTheBlock wrote:
sad banana
1st of all, sorry for bugging you!
Guess it is a kind off these unecessary threads, but I am just curious what you would choose.
I ve got 7 vcfs in my rack, but want to sell some and cannot decide.

Regardless from things like what I am using the most, what are else in my rack, what are my goals, I just want your point of view which VCF from my list would be your desert-island one and why.
I know, they are different and have their pros and cons and its not fair or possible (multifilters vs lowpass only and so on)to compare, but maybe it is a more subjective answer.

Filters are:

North coast synthesis MSK Leapfrog 007
Erica Synths black Polivoks VCF MK2
System 80 Jove
Vintage Synthlab VCF 74
Snazzy FX Eternal Spring Filter
Xaoc Belgrad
Joranalogue Filter 8
hmmm.....

this sounds like a job description.
what is the compensation for this?
thetwlo
you have 7 great filters, maybe you could share audio and video of them, and point out what the pro's and con's of each are. Would love to here your thought on each one, as you are in a unique situation-- having them all to demo and compare at the same time!
excited to see your findings!
scuto
I expected the JOVE would be everyones Darling.
The VCF 74 is great but it is terrible noisy and I hate this extra narrow resonance which can be cool but not easy to dial without squealing in my ears. Bit I like its raw character

I only have the VCF-74 from this list, but I don't experience noisiness from it. I have version 1, FWIW. Have you contacted the manufacturer?
johny_gtr
scuto wrote:
I expected the JOVE would be everyones Darling.
The VCF 74 is great but it is terrible noisy and I hate this extra narrow resonance which can be cool but not easy to dial without squealing in my ears. Bit I like its raw character

I only have the VCF-74 from this list, but I don't experience noisiness from it. I have version 1, FWIW. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Noise level is related with Boost on/off and output pot position.
Analog modules also need good PSU and no one-bus-for-all-modules solution.
sir stony
I wonder why seven filters would be too many. hmmm.....

Maybe you just need a bigger case and a little mixer or two? Mr. Green

Oh right. That wasn't what you wanted to hear.
Well, out of those mentioned, I would go with the Belgrad. I does so much and handles so nicely, and it can be a beasty screamer, too - a thing I expect from an one-can-do-it-all filter. I also have the Erica Polivoks and could hardly be persuaded to ever part with it, I use it a lot.
Multi Grooves
Schippmann VCF02 is still the best sounding thing I own.
cackland
thetwlo wrote:
you have 7 great filters, maybe you could share audio and video of them, and point out what the pro's and con's of each are. Would love to here your thought on each one, as you are in a unique situation-- having them all to demo and compare at the same time!
excited to see your findings!

This is actually a good idea.
Aelitafrommars
I'd probably go for whichever provides me with the widest range of possible sounds if i had to choose. And maybe save one of the other filters that provides me with the most flavour i can't get through the 1st swiss army knife filter of choice.

CV over resonance is a must. too many filters out there without a res control. seriously, i just don't get it

As for the really expensive filters... it's maybe just reflecting my finances but i feel that kind of money is better spent on private instrument lessons.
sduck
If I had to pick just one filter, and the morgasmatron wasn't considered cheating, that'd be it. For the one LPF, it'd be the synthtech e440. For the most tricks per dollar filter, it'd be the BL asteroid operator.
Illwiggle
The best desert island filter there is the one that cracks your coconut! And if none of them do, you should let em go & find one that does!
Aelitafrommars
And once you've got the coconut cracked, you can use the bowl as a resonant filter The Chewbacca Defense
nimmen
I would personally go with F8 or Jove from that list, leapfrog would be 3rd.
You can probably "track" which ones are you using most, and after a month or so, check the "notepad" and let go of least used filters... to get new ones This is fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2