MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gate Crash!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Gate Crash!
Sandrine
A few days ago I was trying to get my Beatstep pro working with some of the digital modules in my demo rack (as I have only used it with analog stuff) in particular the new Accord Melisma Chord module, and to my great disappointment discovered there is a large slew to the BSP's CV's!

All of my digital modules can be set to correct for late CV after triggers or gates but this was >4 mS, so if I didn't remember to set it back, all the digital modules would be off by >4mS.

So I decided I needed a dedicated little module (3HP) to insert a gate delay (in mS) and set to work. Less than a week later it has turned into quite a fun module!

It evolved large in the tradition of all of my modules, but very quickly, so I made a video (below)

I have decided to make it open source and will post a .zip along with all of the design stuff that went into it once I get a proper schematic drawn up (rather than the chicken scratch I worked from)

Here's what the "Gate Crash" (good name eh?) looks like

..and here's the video

Time Shortcuts to each mode are:
A. 0-Dual Gate Delay Mode 3:10
B. 1-Dual Long Delay Mode 6:28
C. 2-Dual Clock Divider Mode 9:44
D. 3-Dual Gate Recorder/Looper Mode 13:43
E. 4-Logic Mode 15:33
F. 5-Dual Variable Gate Length Mode 17:41
G. 6-Dual Burst Pulse Generator 21:33
H. 7-Dual Preset Gate Sequences Mode 24:26

Let me know what you think hyper
EATyourGUITAR
software module? why not a slew into a comparator with offset on a knob?
Sandrine
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
software module? why not a slew into a comparator with offset on a knob?

Indeed I was going to go that direction, boring, this was way more fun!

-edit- oh and when I'm not using the BSP it would just be just eating rack space, multi-function, always
That said, I just might make another one lol
Sandrine
I think the one that I like the most is mode 5-Dual Variable Gate Length Mode. It's nice to be able to sequence gate lengths away from the original.

The 3D printer (.stl) is at http://www.freshnelly.com/gatecrash/GateDelayModule.stl

Code needs "cleaning" still asap

Circuit is pretty simple, 1 Pro-Mini, 5 Q's (3904's), a bunch of resistors and a few caps, no chips
NS4W
Well done!
Paranormal Patroler
I already have a bunch of gate delays, and trigger-to-gate modules, but at 3hp this looks like a swiss army knife of gate delay. Nicely done!

Oh, and I have to say I like the panel design on this one.
Sandrine
NS4W wrote:
Well done!

Thanks!

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I already have a bunch of gate delays, and trigger-to-gate modules, but at 3hp this looks like a swiss army knife of gate delay. Nicely done!

Oh, and I have to say I like the panel design on this one.

It saves a lot of space but I am making another one because I want another mode at the same time he he

The panel design is scant & simple so guess that's why?

Hey so I have started on a MIDI recorder looper module (to experiment with a possible expander design for the Melisma although it wasn't really for that purpose)
It has 4 gate/CV/velocity outputs, 8HP like the Melisma, and ascreen like the Melisma.
But there's 3 CC outputs, clock in and out. It's inspired by the VLT2 Pedal7 project so can record MIDI loops or entire songs then play it via the gates/ CV's /clock + sends MIDI out.

The source MIDI that the sequences are recorded from can have special "loop notes" as markers so loops can be turned on/off or parts jumped to (just like the pedal7)
If the recording was on Channel 10 MIDI then the unit defaults to 12 trigger outputs rather than the 4 sets of gate/CV/Vel.

I plan to use FL Studio to make sequences (It'll hold quite a few) but could use Cubase, Ableton, or whatever

So with the MIDI in can act as a MIDI2CV live for the Melisma

I'm excited to try it out! nanners
Paranormal Patroler
Sandrine wrote:
Hey so I have started on a MIDI recorder looper module (to experiment with a possible expander design for the Melisma although it wasn't really for that purpose)
It has 4 gate/CV/velocity outputs, 8HP like the Melisma, and ascreen like the Melisma.
But there's 3 CC outputs, clock in and out. It's inspired by the VLT2 Pedal7 project so can record MIDI loops or entire songs then play it via the gates/ CV's /clock + sends MIDI out.

The source MIDI that the sequences are recorded from can have special "loop notes" as markers so loops can be turned on/off or parts jumped to (just like the pedal7)
If the recording was on Channel 10 MIDI then the unit defaults to 12 trigger outputs rather than the 4 sets of gate/CV/Vel.

I plan to use FL Studio to make sequences (It'll hold quite a few) but could use Cubase, Ableton, or whatever

So with the MIDI in can act as a MIDI2CV live for the Melisma

I'm excited to try it out! nanners

eek! nanners
Sandrine
The afore-mentioned MIDI-CV/looper module I mentioned is well underway. I have been able to move quickly on the software because I have already created a foot pedal sequencer for live performances that has most of the features this module has, so the concept is solid smile

So, the Sequarallel module outputs 4 channels of Gate/Velocity/CV, a clock I/O, 3 CC-CV outputs, + MIDI I/O. It has it's own display (same size as the developing Accord Melisma) to make it easy to use.
It can Record MIDI from a DAW sequencer (ableton, FL Studio, Reaper, Cubase, Hardware keyboard) then Loop it at set locations, sequencing under clock control and output the modular signals as chords, individual channels, or just 12 triggers.
It can record about 90 minutes of MIDI sequences and loop points and notes can be edited on the panel.

It can also record live note overdubbing of selected MIDI channel from a keyboard (or DAW keyboard) for temporary looping for a set length or original playing loop time, then exited at a bar to original loop. This can be 1 to 4 notes poly depending on the loaded Sequence's mode. (I have this on the Pedal7 and it's amazing!)

Recording
-Record sequences from DAW (Ableton, FL, Cubase etc) -or-
-Record hand played sequences with MIDI keyboard, pre-defind length, True positional Looping
-Record quantized to bars, Start/Stop messages recognized, manual stop loop trim
-Metronome output (clock) during hand played sequence recording
-Records 3 assigned CC values to be output on the 3 CC jacks
-Make up to 100 Sequences/Songs, nameable, with up to 8 loop/jump points each
-Appx 90 minutes of record time
-Record 2, 3 or 4 note chords, percussion (12 triggers), or 4 individual channels

Editing
-Loop/JumpTo Bar Markers (notes over #120,up to 8) can be inserted in DAW or added after
-Sequences can be transposed instantly
-Panel Automation Records changes to running sequence live to turn simple loop into a progression.
++Bar aligned transpose, Jumps, exits
-Live Channel Overdub! Record keyboard live loop over 1, 2, 3, or 4 CV's during sequence with keyboard, replacing sequence notes with new notes but in the same place, then exit to original

Clocking
-Sequence Play under Clock Input control, MIDI clock, or internal BPM
-Notes play as original, not locked to clock steps
-Built in clock divider
-Clock Output jack serves as reset sequence if clock input
-Clock Output jack with analog signal selects next loop/jump point/stop

Chords
-4 MIDI Channel->CV modes: 1+1+1+1, 3+1, 2+2, or All on single channel for 4 note chords
-3 chord->CV assignment modes: Time, Ranges, Cycled
-Programmable MIDI channels for each Mode

MIDI
-Channel 10 recordings (percussion) switches the display and top 12 jacks to triggers
-MIDI jack is Input during Record, MIDI clock sync, Overdub. Output during simple Play
-Pertinent MIDI data is re-transmitted during Sequencing (+PC, initial levels/pans etc) to use elsewhere

Interface
-Left side of display shows present notes (i.e. C#3) playing on each CV output, and velocity bars
-Right side of display has boxes that can be scrolled through & selected for quick access
-Top boxes are LoopThis, JumpTo, Automation Record(PanelRec), Transpose (ZeroVolt), OverDub
-Buttons for Record, Arm to record, Arm to Play, Stop
-Sequarallel module will be available as complete or DIY, if do..

This is a pretty cool module (well to me it is!) like a 4HP BeatStep Pro
I've been thinking about for months now and it's finally real! Can't wait to do a video on it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1