MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mordax DATA help: white screen of death
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Mordax DATA help: white screen of death
nikarga
Fellow Muffs,
Totally bummed out. Bought a new Mordax DATA and I cant seem to get it working.

On skiff boot up all I get is a white screen - all other modules working no problem. Skiff/Power is the Erica Synths 3U rack with built in power.

Checked different pin cable option, same story.
Updated firmware from the Morsax website, same story.
Tried a different power source on the board, same story.

Also noticed a faint black corner on the top right.... pic attached.

Any help would be appreciated. Rockin' Banana! [/img]

bommelito
Maybe +5V is missing? Have you tried to move the DATA jumper from 'System +5V' to 'Local +5V'?
nikarga
I did but with no success.. the skiff has dedicated 5V I believe too
nikarga
This is my case:

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/enclosures/studio/1x84hp-skiff-case-in tegrated-psu/

From the website:

This case has integrated Erica Synths PSU capable of +12V@1.25A and -12V@1.25A (2.5A total), +5V@0.8A and 6.3V Fusion tube heater power suply for 3 modules. +9V 6A 100-240VAC desktop PSU included.
bommelito
pardon my silly question, but if I zoom in on your foto, the display looks strange (like some sort of fabric).

Could it be that there is still a protective foil on the display?
nikarga
@bommelito - no protective foil and not a silly question at all.. you had me feel like a foooooool for a sec hihi
bommelito
hmmm.....
no idea

Of course you could do some tests to narrow down the problem (eg chech if the buffered multiple works, if something's coming out of the WAVE OUT etc.), but this would not help you getting the module to run properly.

So, I guess it's Mordax consultation ttime. help
nikarga
Totally bummed out.. been waiting for one of these guys for a while...

seriously, i just don't get it
cackland
I would always reach out to the manufacturer first, not to say we can't help but with something like this, they will have the solution.
nikarga
have sent a message and also contacted them via the website.... in the meantime if anyone has any ideas, happy to take a further look!

Thank you thumbs up
Mark II
Try unpugging all other modules except the DATA. I sometimes have this with mine.
nikarga
Tried this already with no success unfortunately
pekbro
Of course contacting Mordax is the thing to do, it looks to me like
possibly the screen ribbon connection is not seated properly.

Typically there will be a clamp type connection on the back of the unit,
occasionally these can become loose. Usually you would just undo
the clamp, re-seat the ribbon and redo the clamp.

I don't have a DATA yet as I am waiting for this next batch, so I cant
say for sure. Usually, it's not a problem to verify or redo these types
of connections. The dark area just looks like a blind spot for the backlight
to me.

Either that or the bootloader might be corrupt. *shrugs

Good luck, I'm sure Mordax will get it sorted for you.
bfessler
Hey nikarga, I just saw your post (and DM, and email) from this morning. Let’s continue the tech support via email, just sent you one thumbs up

Generally, a DATA with a blank white screen either needs to have the display's FCP cable connection checked/re-seated, as pekbro mentioned, or it’s a sick DATA and needs to come back to Mordax HQ for a checkup.

Last run I had one customer reporting a white screen, they sent it back and I checked it out, total system failure, I couldn’t talk to with with the in-house programming tools. So, I sent them another one, and then to our surprise, same issue, the white screen again!

After a few more emails back and forth we got to the bottom of it; their case had a Synthrotek power supply with its voltage regulator soldered in backwards, so it was putting out +15V on the +5V line and frying the DATA’s 3.3V regulator (and the MCU connected to it), but it didn’t blow the display’s backlight LEDs, hence the white screen. Long story short, they got a 4ms Row Power, I sent another replacement DATA, and they wiggled happily ever after -The End
Dancing Star Dancing Star Dancing Star
nikarga
we're not worthy

5 stars for the super quick comms from Brandon..
Didn’t expect a reply on a Sunday... wow.
Super clear, super helpful. Thank you

I just hope my new 3U Erica Synth rack aint the problem...
That would be pretty disastrous for future modules! thumbs up
Mawkeyz
I realize this is not the OP's issue but thought I'd bring it up as it's related.
When powering up the Mordax Data from the wall switch I also get a white screen and have to reboot using the local skiff switch. This only happens when the jumper is configured for external power, i.e. no problem in "local power" mode. I concluded there is a timing and/or inrush current issue related to the Mean Well power supply charging up vice the Mordax power up timing. This was evident by observing that a significant amount of time was needed in ther power off state to reliably duplicate boot up/white-screen problem; upwards of 30 minutes

I did extensive troubleshooting on this a while back swapping out between 2 Intellijel skiffs and 3 Mean Well supplies. Even purchased and tried one of these at Mordax suggestion. Didn't work. Intellijel and Mordax were both in the loop (and helpful) during this troubleshooting but unfortunately the effort sort of died on the vine. This thread reminded me of the issue which admittedly is not a show stopper for me.

It would however be nice to operate in external power mode without having to re-boot on a daily basis.
Multi Grooves
bfessler wrote:

After a few more emails back and forth we got to the bottom of it; their case had a Synthrotek power supply with its voltage regulator soldered in backwards, so it was putting out +15V on the +5V line and frying the DATA’s 3.3V regulator (and the MCU connected to it), but it didn’t blow the display’s backlight LEDs, hence the white screen. Long story short, they got a 4ms Row Power, I sent another replacement DATA, and they wiggled happily ever after -The End
Dancing Star Dancing Star Dancing Star

zombie sad banana
EATyourGUITAR
bfessler wrote:
their case had a Synthrotek power supply with its voltage regulator soldered in backwards, so it was putting out +15V on the +5V line and frying [*modules*]

WTF?
DIY or from Steve!?!
Richard deHove
bfessler wrote:
After a few more emails back and forth we got to the bottom of it; their case had a Synthrotek power supply with its voltage regulator soldered in backwards

Very impressive customer service. Three Datas supplied when the problem was caused by a different company's faulty module cool
nikarga
Update: I was advised by Mordax to send it to them at my cost for repair... or go through the dealer which would take more paperwork and longer.

So - back to the dealer it goes for a full refund - not waiting around for another 6 months for this. Bummed out. very frustrating

May just grab an O'Tool Plus instead
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1