MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Make Noise Fxdf - pairings ???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Make Noise Fxdf - pairings ???
lilnoah95
What in yalls opinion are some good pairings to go with the fdxf from make noise? I know they suggest the rxmx, which looks ideal but I can't afford that at the moment. I was thinking maybe mn optomix or mi streams would be cool for envelope following and vactrol ping-ing. But i also really like the idea of scanning between the frequencies output by the fxdx... maybe like a mi frames, which has 4 channels. or maybe I should just get a six channel vca like the one from zlob. Any other suggestions that are possible to find for under $200? the cheaper the better lol
mazzyboy
It pairs well with a switch. I use it with RYO paths.
Try putting this in a delay feedback path while slowly switching between bands for dubby goodness!
R.U.Nuts
Maybe a Doepfer A-138m matrix mixer. You could use the mixer's inputs for four of the frequency bands of the FXDF. Then send the four mixer's outputs to for example a delay, a reverb and the left and right input of your final stage stereo mixer. This way you'd have independent FX level control and panning for each of the four frequency bands.
luketeaford
I think rxmx and matrix mixers are the best recommendations you're going to get, but basically there are 3 things to do with fxdf:

1. Mix signals going into it with 6db and 12db inputs.
2. Mix signals going out of it from each band.
3. Process the outputs individually -- this is super cool and I often do this to put reverb only on the top end and maybe allow a bit of mid range in rhythmically once in a while. Any of the audio processing modules you have will sound much different like this.
Xtheunknown
I use it with the Doepfer matrix mixer AND Mutable Frames. With this combination, you can get the kinds of things you can do with RxMx and a whole lot more. I thought about the RxMx, but this arrangement seemed far more powerful and I was not disappointed.
jwm
i think this is one of the best uses of the fxdf i've seen (from make noise themselves)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz8yk1eFMmK/
mritenburg
lilnoah95 wrote:
But i also really like the idea of scanning between the frequencies output by the fxdx.

Save up for the RxMx. The FxDf and RxMx connect behind the scenes via a ribbon cable. With the FxDf connected to the RxMx, you get voltage controlled scanning of the frequencies, voltage control over whether the scanning is stepped or a smooth blend between the frequencies, and voltage control over amplitude.
Wjbratcher
I use Frames also, but I get just as much out of other vca mixers like blinds or the intellijel quad vca and hitting the channels with different cv. I haven’t had my fxdf for all that long, so this is as far as I’ve gotten thus far.
Joey P.
To those who own an FXDF, can you see if the jack components on the circuit board are solid black plastic, or do they have a clear plastic seemingly glued on. I recently bought one and have been finding plastic pieces rattling around in my case and finally figured out that the clear plastic has been disintegrating and falling in to my case, and the clear plastic on every jack is cracking.

TY
lilnoah95
Thanks for the replies yall. I hadn't thought about using a switch to cycle between frequency bands, thx for the idea mazzy! i dont the the doepfer A138m is really what I'm looking for, although i can totally see how it would jell with the fxdx really well. I'm just looking for things that have voltage control options bc i want to use it for more experimental things than just traditional EQing. Another combination that I ran into was using it with the music thing vactrol mix expander (which goes with the turing machine). anyone have any experience with this??
R.U.Nuts
lilnoah95 wrote:
Thanks for the replies yall. I hadn't thought about using a switch to cycle between frequency bands, thx for the idea mazzy! i dont the the doepfer A138m is really what I'm looking for, although i can totally see how it would jell with the fxdx really well. I'm just looking for things that have voltage control options bc i want to use it for more experimental things than just traditional EQing.

Well, switching between the different frequency bands with only one band audible at a time is pretty much the most "traditional" use case: You could also use a single bandpass filter and modulate it with a stepped CV for the same effect...
The interesting thing about the FXDF is the opportunity to split a signal into different frequency bands and process those bands differently.
lilnoah95
true, i guess a single output switch wouldn't really be taking advantage of the whole potential! Now that i'm taking a closer look at the 138m, it looks really cool for feedback loops, and i could always add other vc modules before/after in the chain. thanks for the tip!
teethgrinder
maybe not the cheaper but x-pan pairs well with fxdf for mixing/crossfading bands
R.U.Nuts
lilnoah95 wrote:
true, i guess a single output switch wouldn't really be taking advantage of the whole potential! Now that i'm taking a closer look at the 138m, it looks really cool for feedback loops, and i could always add other vc modules before/after in the chain. thanks for the tip!

Actually now I want an A-138m again. I had one for a while but sold it because I needed space in my rack (sigh).
Another Idea: Bastl ABC: Dual three channel mixer. You could make mixes of the first, third and fifth and of the second, fourth and sixth frequency band. Just like the odd and even outputs on the Moog fixed filter bank and the Serge resEQ. And the ABC can also be configured as a three inputs / two outputs mini matrix mixer by setting certain jumpers on the PCB
kwaidan
R.U.Nuts wrote:
The interesting thing about the FXDF is the opportunity to split a signal into different frequency bands and process those bands differently.

For stabs, I used to take a chord output from Shapeshifter and split the signal. Next, I would send each signal to a different filter on the FXDF and process each output with different rhythmic pattern using separate VCAs, envelopes, etc.
electricfence
I think it pairs well with the Muxlicer, for switching between outputs with volume control. With the address input of the Muxlicer, you can scan the frequency bands via CV. (And the Muxlicer is handy for lots of other things, too.)
Illwiggle
Chiming in for the RXMX. Its stupid fun. Esp with a white noise source. Muxlicer is a good idea too, but thats basically sequential switches...
I mean put in one signal, get a handful of different ones out! Send em wherever you want for processing! Delays, reverbs, vca’s, phasing, etc
panfriedcharlie
I have been playing around with Twiigs (2x Branches), a sequential switch, a Quantum Rainbow 2, the FXDf and a couple of Optomixes "struck" by sequenced gates. Killer combo for a multiplicity of complex percussion sounds.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1