MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BEMI LEM 218 vs 218r: what are the differences?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author BEMI LEM 218 vs 218r: what are the differences?
odditymedium
what are the major differences?

i saw a video where the 218r was easier to play/more sensitive to touch
i also read that the LEM 218 has more options

but practically speaking, how important or relevant are these differences performance wise?
mritenburg
odditymedium wrote:
what are the major differences?

i saw a video where the 218r was easier to play/more sensitive to touch
i also read that the LEM 218 has more options

but practically speaking, how important or relevant are these differences performance wise?

There are 3 main differences. The 218e has an arpeggiator, acts as a MIDI interface, and has an extra octave/preset pad.

If you are into live perfomance, the arpeggiator on the 218e is a big deal because it functions as a real-time, touch activated sequencer. You can add and remove notes from a sequence simply by touching or releasing the key pads.

The MIDI interface is self-explanatory as is the extra octave octave/preset pad.
captnapalm
Also the annoying grounding issues (random triggers, etc.) that lots of people have with the 218e seem to not be a problem on the 218r.
captnapalm wrote:
Also the annoying grounding issues (random triggers, etc.) that lots of people have with the 218e seem to not be a problem on the 218r.

In terms of grounding I can vouch for the BUSA easel, I have used it at numerous locations and have had no grounding issues with it to date. I was told that they changed the "fretboard" a little to accommodate the grounding.

Visually you can tell the difference, no more red stripes separating the keys. I thought they looked cool but to me it goes without saying, usability over style.
ArguZ
That is a non issue if you ground yourself to the 218.
I mean, isn't it clear that the capacity only works when the conductor is providing a clear signal ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Static-Wrist-Strap-ESD-Grounding-Wrist-S trap-Band-adjustable-/112543785451?ef_id=CjwKCAjwnMTqBRAzEiwAEF3ndoZCf HjY6HklwdkJ0ZX73_RZsSYPCw1aYuGiSp6LQZb4vyFs3sBbZRoCYxkQAvD_BwE:G:s

Spend 5$ and i promise you all those false signals from parasitic capacitive coupling are gone.
I play that thing running of a power bank on a boat...no problems
darmklacht@gmail.com
yeah the grounding issue is easily solved by grounding the easel using the ground plug or just by sticking a banana from the groundplug under your belt.

I love the arpeggiator it offers alot performance wise, wouldnt like to live without.

I never thought more sensitive would be an option. whould that make it respond to thoughts?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1