BEMI LEM 218 vs 218r: what are the differences?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

odditymedium
Veteran Wiggler

BEMI LEM 218 vs 218r: what are the differences?

Post by odditymedium » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:04 am

what are the major differences?

i saw a video where the 218r was easier to play/more sensitive to touch
i also read that the LEM 218 has more options

but practically speaking, how important or relevant are these differences performance wise?

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: BEMI LEM 218 vs 218r: what are the differences?

Post by mritenburg » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:23 am

odditymedium wrote:what are the major differences?

i saw a video where the 218r was easier to play/more sensitive to touch
i also read that the LEM 218 has more options

but practically speaking, how important or relevant are these differences performance wise?
There are 3 main differences. The 218e has an arpeggiator, acts as a MIDI interface, and has an extra octave/preset pad.

If you are into live perfomance, the arpeggiator on the 218e is a big deal because it functions as a real-time, touch activated sequencer. You can add and remove notes from a sequence simply by touching or releasing the key pads.

The MIDI interface is self-explanatory as is the extra octave octave/preset pad.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Ummm, I guess you would call it techno.

captnapalm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captnapalm » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Also the annoying grounding issues (random triggers, etc.) that lots of people have with the 218e seem to not be a problem on the 218r.

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:22 pm

captnapalm wrote:Also the annoying grounding issues (random triggers, etc.) that lots of people have with the 218e seem to not be a problem on the 218r.
In terms of grounding I can vouch for the BUSA easel, I have used it at numerous locations and have had no grounding issues with it to date. I was told that they changed the "fretboard" a little to accommodate the grounding.

Visually you can tell the difference, no more red stripes separating the keys. I thought they looked cool but to me it goes without saying, usability over style.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:52 pm

That is a non issue if you ground yourself to the 218.
I mean, isn't it clear that the capacity only works when the conductor is providing a clear signal ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Static-Wr ... vD_BwE:G:s

Spend 5$ and i promise you all those false signals from parasitic capacitive coupling are gone.
I play that thing running of a power bank on a boat...no problems

darmklacht@gmail.com
Wiggling with Experience

Post by darmklacht@gmail.com » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:55 am

yeah the grounding issue is easily solved by grounding the easel using the ground plug or just by sticking a banana from the groundplug under your belt.

I love the arpeggiator it offers alot performance wise, wouldnt like to live without.

I never thought more sensitive would be an option. whould that make it respond to thoughts?

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”