MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Juno 60 volume crackle
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Juno 60 volume crackle
clapclap
The Juno 60 is making little crackles when I play intermittently and you can hear them much more when you adjust the volume. I Have Deocit F5 and QD Contact Cleaner. If I were to try to spray either of these into the volume potentiometer would you recommend me taking that out of the Juno before spraying it and then letting it set? Alternatively, can I just have my Juno off and spray some down the side through the casing by the volume pot?

Here's the link so you can hear for yourself

[s]https://soundcloud.com/fourthringroad/nj60/s-igQB8[/s]

Thank you!
clapclap
One thing I just noticed, when I move around the volume knob when there is nothing being played you can't hear any of the potentiomter noise. However, after playing a key and then moving around the knob is when the scratchy sound starts coming through. If I turn on the synth and move the volume knob around it sounds like you just start hearing some of the noise osc coming through and then it starts to fade.
monads
I would remove the knobs & casing before treating with DeoxIT. Not sure if it's also an output related issue and/or requiring a re-cap. Have you replaced the internal battery??? If you have the original battery installed you might want to inspect if it started leaking on the board causing damage.
clapclap
I just love the sound of the Juno 60 and came crawling back after selling one a few years ago.

I haven't replaced the battery yet. The synth at this time is usable but I feel like something like the Juno 60 I would like to get this up to much better condition than it is currently in. Perhaps I need to bring it into a tech.
clapclap
I just opened it and the inside looks pretty clean just a little dusty. The battery doesn't look like it has ever leaked.

Everything else looks pretty good

I wasn't able to get into the volume casing since one of the screws was stripped. I have to figure out how to get that screw off and then where to go from there.
drift

I need to do this for my JX-10
clapclap
Awesome thank you! I will try that once I get that last screw off my Juno. IT is so stripped though. Does anyone know if these screw extractor bits work well?

https://www.amazon.com/Ontel-SpeedOut-Damaged-Screw-Extractor/dp/B00IR L3WP4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=damaged+screw+extractor&qid=1567007923&s=gat eway&sr=8-3

Additionally, is it difficult to remove the volume/bender board from the Juno?
drift
Can you use vise grip locking pliers on the stripped screw?
clapclap
Ok I removed the volume/bender board and cleaned out the volume pot and let it set overnight. The volume pot is no longer making the crackling noises after turning the volume knob.

However, I noticed there is still some unwanted noise happening when I'm playing the synth:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/fourthringroad/juno-sound-test/s-YumNE[/s]

I thought I'd try putting some Deoxit in the bender knob as well since it seemed like I wasn't getting these noises when I had bent the notes up.
Additionally, there is some old dust settled on the boards. Is there a good solution to clean this or is there no harm for it to be on the board?

[/img]
GrantB
C40 and C43 on the chorus board are 10u/16V non-polarized DC blocking caps. I was able to reduce thumping related to the varying DC offsets of the VCAs by replacing these.
clapclap
Thank you for the advice GrandB! Where would I be able to buy these 10u/16V non-polarized DC blocking caps?
GrantB
clapclap wrote:
Thank you for the advice GrandB! Where would I be able to buy these 10u/16V non-polarized DC blocking caps?

mouser.com
sutekina bipu-on
Do these have the weird spring loaded jacks that break internally easily? It's like a contact held in the middle by some tiny springs? Even though it's most likely a volume knob issue, worth checking.
BugBrand
drift wrote:

I need to do this for my JX-10

If you do do it then get Caig F5 Faderlube not Deoxit D5 - D5 is NOT for pots, it is for jack plugs etc.
clapclap
Finally found someone to look at my Juno 60 for repair! I also noticed that the 3 wave switches don't always work. Does anyone know a good place where I could possibly get three new switches for the square, sawtooth, and pulse wave buttons?
drift
Syntaur

https://syntaur.com/roland_juno.html
estin
Psu looks like a good candidate for a re-cap as well. Would be a cheap and easy date since you are in there. hihi
clapclap
I was looking at syntaur and noticed they only have the following for Juno 60

Pushbutton switch, for Juno-6/60 Key Transpose
Pushbutton switch, for Juno-6/60 Hold, Arp On/Off

estin, how can you tell the Psu looks like it could be recapped? Just curious...
estin
clapclap wrote:

estin, how can you tell the Psu looks like it could be recapped? Just curious...

Just considering the synths age and the fact they look original. Wouldn't hurt to at least get the three big ones swapped out with quality replacements.
clapclap
I just got my synth back from Bruce at East Bay Audio Repair in Berkeley. He said that the PSU doesn't need to be recapped since there are no bubbles. I just plugged in the synth at home and now I am getting the same issue with the chorus.

When I went in to pick up the synth he brought it over to the front and just expected me to pay for it and go. I asked if I could hear it. He seemed a little frustrated and then begrudgingly took it back to plug it in. He said he fixed the three caps, cleaned it out completely and then supposedly fixed the issue I came in there with. I was able to produce the issue and showed him the noise the synth was making. He said that everything internally was working as it should and that what I was hearing wasn't really a thing. He started getting angry with me and trying to strong arm me basically into leaving. I told him that I'm paying for a repair that he didn't even do.

He eventually found that some keys were double triggering causing one issue from the bottom board of the synth being too close to the higher keys.

He charged me $45 per switch (x3) which he said would be $30 per switch if he had to order it online during our first meeting. He mentioned that he had some lying around and then ended up charging me more.

Anyway, I don't know what to get out of this right now other than just to vent my frustrations.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/fourthringroad/juno-patch-34/s-eEmKD[/s]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1