Yamaha CX5M

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Post Reply
User avatar
fivepawnopaw
Common Wiggler
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Yamaha CX5M

Post by fivepawnopaw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Hello!

Total score I found 6 months ago at a yard sale. Yamaha CX5M.

It came complete with a keyboard and DX7 cartridge to boot!

However. Big However. It did not come with a monitor cable.
Does anyone know the SPECIFIC cable to hook to this?

I researched it a bit and came up with something that looks like a midi cable on one end, and RCA style (YELLOW, RED, WHITE) on the other. No video signal comes through it.

The device might not work, but it does turn on and have a steady ON red light.
:despair:

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be forever grateful. If it works this is a piece I don't want leaving my collection.

Image
Image
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
jamie//fivepaw
http://fivepaw.bandcamp.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

chromakey
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:49 pm
Location: US Southwest

Post by chromakey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm

What a delightful oddball.

It looks like the 5-pin din output has both a RF output and a composite video output on pins 4 and 5. (see https://www.msx.org/wiki/Composite_moni ... DIN_41524) )

Maybe the other format output will work (or maybe you tried the wrong one for your display's connection)?

Good luck!

User avatar
Jim the Oldbie
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:16 am
Location: Midwest USA

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Whoo! I bought one of these new back in the day. Never had the DX7 module, just the standard 4-op cart (which was always frustrating because you couldn't MIDI in to the damn thing). Wrote a ton of BASIC programs on that old beast.

Man, I haven't thought about this one in a long time... Mostly it reminds me of the girl I was dating back then... :waah:

User avatar
mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine
Posts: 1209
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Post by mome rath » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Do these help?

I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSX-SONY-HB-PAN ... SwdIFX1TkB

and a pictorial DIY:
http://kei-sakaki.jp/2017/04/06/make-mo ... m-yis-503/

That looks super cool!
Image
soundcloud, dear friends
good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

User avatar
morgulbee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:31 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by morgulbee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Wow! I lusted after the CX5M back in the day. Always wanted one, couldn't afford or justify one, then they vanished.

That monitor connector looks like a typical composite cable that was common in the 80's on computers such as the Commodore 64, although it sounds like that may be what you already tried. You'll need a monitor that takes composite signals, or a TV with RF if the information about an RF signal from a previous comment is correct.

User avatar
widdly
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:31 am
Location: australia

Post by widdly » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:57 pm

Pinouts in the service manual.

https://archive.org/details/yamaha_cx5mu_service-manual

I'd drill a hole in the case and solder in an rca out from the composite pins. You can connect it directly to the yellow rca input on a television.

I've got the australian one that has the rca output already there.

User avatar
fivepawnopaw
Common Wiggler
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Post by fivepawnopaw » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 pm

chromakey wrote:What a delightful oddball.

It looks like the 5-pin din output has both a RF output and a composite video output on pins 4 and 5. (see https://www.msx.org/wiki/Composite_moni ... DIN_41524) )

Maybe the other format output will work (or maybe you tried the wrong one for your display's connection)?

Good luck!
Unfortunately that link brought me to empty content. However! I also posted about this on reddit, and someone on there sent me a manual for the CX5M. I didn't even think that maybe the cable I bought specifically isn't wired up to have the proper outputs (i.e. video out is on a pin that the three rca connectors aren't connected to).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
jamie//fivepaw
http://fivepaw.bandcamp.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
fivepawnopaw
Common Wiggler
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Post by fivepawnopaw » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:41 pm

widdly wrote:Pinouts in the service manual.

https://archive.org/details/yamaha_cx5mu_service-manual

I'd drill a hole in the case and solder in an rca out from the composite pins. You can connect it directly to the yellow rca input on a television.

I've got the australian one that has the rca output already there.
Cool thanks!
I want to keep it hole free if I can. So I'm going to disassemble the cable to see if the pin outs match up with the rca before I start drilling.

(after I wrote 'disassemble' I said out loud, 'Disassemble, Johnny 5 is alive!' in a public coffee shop. :hihi: )
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
jamie//fivepaw
http://fivepaw.bandcamp.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
fivepawnopaw
Common Wiggler
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Post by fivepawnopaw » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:45 pm

morgulbee wrote:Wow! I lusted after the CX5M back in the day. Always wanted one, couldn't afford or justify one, then they vanished.

That monitor connector looks like a typical composite cable that was common in the 80's on computers such as the Commodore 64, although it sounds like that may be what you already tried. You'll need a monitor that takes composite signals, or a TV with RF if the information about an RF signal from a previous comment is correct.
Yeah! I'm pretty stoked on the find. I was late to the yard sale party to get the megaload, but my friend called me up because he found a "major score" and needed help to sift through values of some keyboards. 'Some keyboards' turned out to be two car loads and I asked for this CX5M as payment to help him. I would love if it works!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
jamie//fivepaw
http://fivepaw.bandcamp.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
fivepawnopaw
Common Wiggler
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Post by fivepawnopaw » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:47 pm

mome rath wrote:Do these help?

I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSX-SONY-HB-PAN ... SwdIFX1TkB

and a pictorial DIY:
http://kei-sakaki.jp/2017/04/06/make-mo ... m-yis-503/

That looks super cool!
It does help, thank you!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
jamie//fivepaw
http://fivepaw.bandcamp.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
fivepawnopaw
Common Wiggler
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 am
Location: Portland
Contact:

Post by fivepawnopaw » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Jim the Oldbie wrote:Whoo! I bought one of these new back in the day. Never had the DX7 module, just the standard 4-op cart (which was always frustrating because you couldn't MIDI in to the damn thing). Wrote a ton of BASIC programs on that old beast.

Man, I haven't thought about this one in a long time... Mostly it reminds me of the girl I was dating back then... :waah:
Yeah, I'm stoked to have the keyboard for it also. The DX7 cartridge was the big 'selling point' for me. Can't wait to get her running.

Memory lane is a dangerous game.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
jamie//fivepaw
http://fivepaw.bandcamp.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
thee ghost ov n_phay
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 am

Post by thee ghost ov n_phay » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:09 pm

The DX7 cart is an editor/librarian not an actual DX7 synthesizer. The inbuilt synth voice is identical to the Yamaha FB01. IE 8 voice, 8 way multitimbral, 4-op There were 2 versions of the built-in synthesiser, SFG01 which didn't have a working midi in, and SFG05 which did. Yyou could upgrade the synthesizer, yamaha supplied the upgraded synth as a seperate unit. I upgraded mine because you could use a cheaper fdd with it - the fdd that worked w the SFG01 was really espensive! The carts to lok out for are the programmer cart for the inbuilt synth and the composer software cart. The 4-track MIDI sequencer is pretty terrible, I'd avoid that one. I haad a lot of fun with mine back in the day, hope you get it working ok.

User avatar
khakifridge
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:56 pm
Location: UK

Post by khakifridge » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:27 am

fivepawnopaw wrote:Unfortunately that link brought me to empty content.
That link got snafued. It's here.

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”