MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tuning mutable instruments rings & elements ?!?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Tuning mutable instruments rings & elements ?!?!
Poeshaas
Hi all,

Just started out with modular (after many years of menu-diving in Ableton) and dropped a ton of $$$ on various modules. Now i’m trying to sequence some stuff trough Make Noise's Rene V2 but can’t seem to tune Mutable Instruments Elements and / or Rings (to a C or to each other:(

Thought I would figure it out after a couple of tries but the notes keep skipping all over the place, even though I’ve got the structure-knob (rings) and geometry-knob (elements) around 10 o’clock (as suggested in this post:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2169823&highlight=#2 169823

I’m trying to tune them with the dave jones design o tool plus btw.

I know Elements and Rings ar not strictly a tonal module with all the added harmonies and what not but I would like have them tuned (to at least each other).

@ 22:38 r beny and lightbath talk about tuning rings in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJiBD77b6Y&t=1405s

but I’ve tried putting the frequency knob at 10/11 o’clock w. rings in the “green-green”-mode and the right top know put at 10 o’clock but still the tuning keeps displaying different note values.

Recalibrating is mentioned in the manual and - just like r beny - you could set C at the bottom of the frequency knob of Rings. For those interested this guy walks you through the whole process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOAbNRp8YgE&list=PLXc5WLXbQ_hi4mhfQdve i7P1KL9CVPPX4

Unfortunately I don’t have a keystep or Hermod (yet:) so I can’t confirm if this would help with my tuning problems.

I’m also using MI Tides as a VCO which I would like to add in the mix but right now everything is off (expect Tides:).

Any help is much appreciated.

P.S. I know switching modes in Rings messes with the tuning but right now I can’t tune it in any mode. What am I doing wrong?
Poeshaas
K, after yet another try I finally tuned Rings w00t

As discussed in the R Beny / Lighbath chat; if you put Rings in "green-green"-mode with the the frequency-knob at 10 / 11 o'clock and the structure-knob at 10 you''ll get a signal without any added harmonies that mess with the tuner. Then it's just a matter of (fine) tuning the frequency to the desired pitch.

Anybody has any suggestions for the settings for elements to achieve the same thing?
TEKBRAIN
Just make sure that the modules are well calibrated too. Tuning will be impossible if they are not.
starthief
Poeshaas wrote:
Anybody has any suggestions for the settings for elements to achieve the same thing?

It's the same conceptually -- dial in a setting that doesn't have too much harmonic content, especially if it's inharmonic. Low brightness helps.

If you really want to get it clean, switch to FM mode, disable the FM by turning brightness all the way down, and tune the pure sine.

But switching modes, changing the structure/geometry/etc. or even the brightness are going to change the actual or perceived pitch -- so honestly I think these modules are best tuned by ear.
electricanada
Yeah, always tune by ear. If it sounds good, it is good.
Poeshaas
https://lightbath.zone/tune-rings
helder
I was wondering how people use this module in conjunction with other modules regarding tuning...

I followed the suggestions in this thread and was more or less able to tune rings, but the sound was boring, so I started to tweak the parameters to change the sound while the sequence kept playing (with rings and another standard oscillator) and indeed some sounds did not feel in tune, but I did find sounds that I liked.

So...is it better to disregard tuning in this module and just follow one's ear?

How do people use this module with other modules? Do you start a sequence with other modules and then add rings on top and tweak it until it sounds good? Or do you start with any sound in rings? Just wondering, as I am just starting with this...Thanks.
lisa
I tune Rings once every quarter or so and leave the tuning knob where it is. I tweak the other parameters until Rings sounds good with whatever patch I’m working on. Never an issue in my experience.
sduck
steviet
LOL got a giggle out of me on that one sduck.

+1 for ear tuning.
helder
lisa wrote:
I tune Rings once every quarter or so and leave the tuning knob where it is. I tweak the other parameters until Rings sounds good with whatever patch I’m working on. Never an issue in my experience.

Thanks. So you tune it according to the method above? Structure knob at 10/11 oclock to reduce harmonic content, etc? And then just leave the tuning knob there and tweak the other parameters to your liking depending on the composition yes?

Cool, I will try it.
yayellou
yes thanks, will try it too
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1