Tuning mutable instruments rings & elements ?!?!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Poeshaas
Learning to Wiggle

Tuning mutable instruments rings & elements ?!?!

Post by Poeshaas » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:36 am

Hi all,

Just started out with modular (after many years of menu-diving in Ableton) and dropped a ton of $$$ on various modules. Now i’m trying to sequence some stuff trough Make Noise's Rene V2 but can’t seem to tune Mutable Instruments Elements and / or Rings (to a C or to each other:(

Thought I would figure it out after a couple of tries but the notes keep skipping all over the place, even though I’ve got the structure-knob (rings) and geometry-knob (elements) around 10 o’clock (as suggested in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=2169823&highlight=#2169823

I’m trying to tune them with the dave jones design o tool plus btw.

I know Elements and Rings ar not strictly a tonal module with all the added harmonies and what not but I would like have them tuned (to at least each other).

@ 22:38 r beny and lightbath talk about tuning rings in this vid:

but I’ve tried putting the frequency knob at 10/11 o’clock w. rings in the “green-green”-mode and the right top know put at 10 o’clock but still the tuning keeps displaying different note values.

Recalibrating is mentioned in the manual and - just like r beny - you could set C at the bottom of the frequency knob of Rings. For those interested this guy walks you through the whole process:

Unfortunately I don’t have a keystep or Hermod (yet:) so I can’t confirm if this would help with my tuning problems.

I’m also using MI Tides as a VCO which I would like to add in the mix but right now everything is off (expect Tides:).

Any help is much appreciated.

P.S. I know switching modes in Rings messes with the tuning but right now I can’t tune it in any mode. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Poeshaas on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poeshaas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Poeshaas » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 am

K, after yet another try I finally tuned Rings :party:

As discussed in the R Beny / Lighbath chat; if you put Rings in "green-green"-mode with the the frequency-knob at 10 / 11 o'clock and the structure-knob at 10 you''ll get a signal without any added harmonies that mess with the tuner. Then it's just a matter of (fine) tuning the frequency to the desired pitch.

Anybody has any suggestions for the settings for elements to achieve the same thing?
Last edited by Poeshaas on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TEKBRAIN
Common Wiggler

Post by TEKBRAIN » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:18 am

Just make sure that the modules are well calibrated too. Tuning will be impossible if they are not.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:33 am

Poeshaas wrote:Anybody has any suggestions for the settings for elements to achieve the same thing?
It's the same conceptually -- dial in a setting that doesn't have too much harmonic content, especially if it's inharmonic. Low brightness helps.

If you really want to get it clean, switch to FM mode, disable the FM by turning brightness all the way down, and tune the pure sine.

But switching modes, changing the structure/geometry/etc. or even the brightness are going to change the actual or perceived pitch -- so honestly I think these modules are best tuned by ear.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Yeah, always tune by ear. If it sounds good, it is good.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Poeshaas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Poeshaas » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:42 pm

helder
Common Wiggler

Post by helder » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:22 pm

I was wondering how people use this module in conjunction with other modules regarding tuning...

I followed the suggestions in this thread and was more or less able to tune rings, but the sound was boring, so I started to tweak the parameters to change the sound while the sequence kept playing (with rings and another standard oscillator) and indeed some sounds did not feel in tune, but I did find sounds that I liked.

So...is it better to disregard tuning in this module and just follow one's ear?

How do people use this module with other modules? Do you start a sequence with other modules and then add rings on top and tweak it until it sounds good? Or do you start with any sound in rings? Just wondering, as I am just starting with this...Thanks.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:40 pm

I tune Rings once every quarter or so and leave the tuning knob where it is. I tweak the other parameters until Rings sounds good with whatever patch I’m working on. Never an issue in my experience.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:08 pm

flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

steviet
Common Wiggler

Post by steviet » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:11 pm

LOL got a giggle out of me on that one sduck.

+1 for ear tuning.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

helder
Common Wiggler

Post by helder » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:48 am

lisa wrote:I tune Rings once every quarter or so and leave the tuning knob where it is. I tweak the other parameters until Rings sounds good with whatever patch I’m working on. Never an issue in my experience.
Thanks. So you tune it according to the method above? Structure knob at 10/11 oclock to reduce harmonic content, etc? And then just leave the tuning knob there and tweak the other parameters to your liking depending on the composition yes?

Cool, I will try it.

yayellou
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yayellou » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 am

yes thanks, will try it too

Poeshaas
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Tuning mutable instruments rings & elements ?!?!

Post by Poeshaas » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:30 am

For everybody interested, please visited the link to the page of lightbath:

https://lightbath.zone/tune-rings

There you'll find:

Rings tuning method

1. Prepare module
All connections unpatched (except for output)
BRIGHTNESS around 10:00
POSITION not at min/max
Green-Green mode (monophonic/modal)
STRUCTURE @ 10:00 (align with the node on the panel)

2. Coarse Tune
Set Damping to maximum
Patch dummy cable into STRUM
Pull out STRUM-drummy to trigger a long note
Tune FREQ to get close

3. Fine Tune
Keep Damping to maximum
Patch 2nd dummy cable into V/OCT
Pull out STRUM-drummy to trigger a long note
Tune FREQ Attenuverter (fine tune) to get exact

the r beny downshift trick
Turn FREQ fully ccw and use fine-tune to get it in-tune to C.
This keeps it from being accidentally knocked out of tune.
If you need a higher range of notes, FREQ goes up in semitones with V/OCT patched.
If you then mark the panel where the octaves are, as long as you leave V/OCT patched, you can then use the octave markings to quickly raise the octave to the desired register!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”