MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Patch teardown
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Patch teardown
Flexyflier
Just curious,when I finish using my modular....I always remove all patch cords
For a fresh start the next time....
My question is how many here also do that,I have a buddy who is paranoid about removing all his cords.
cptnal
The correct answer is "it depends".

It's nice to start with a tabula rasa each time, but sometimes you don't get everything done in one sitting. Also, coming back to a patch with fresh ears can reveal something you hadn't noticed before. Or maybe the phase of your modulations is all different, or you forgot one of your modules doesn't hold its settings after a power cycle, and so on...

Sometimes it's good to look at it the other way around and keep your teardowns for special.

Edit: Another consideration is if you don't keep it patched when you're not using it all the music will leak out. zombie
Pelsea
I generally leave my patches up at the end of a session and decide whether to tear down at the beginning of the next. That way I can choose to continue to develop what I've been doing or go a new direction.
R.U.Nuts
I can keep a patch for several months. I tear it down when I need to swiffer off the dust on my system. When I repatch I end up with basically the same patch just refined slightly. Basically I always use the same patch. It would annoy the hell out of me having to build up a patch each time I want to make some noise and I'm pretty productive with my patch making a new tune maybe every four weeks. That's quite a lot given the limited amount of time I have for making music.

-And of course I can just switch on my system and simply let it do its thing while I swiffer the other stuff in my room. Miley Cyrus
nostalghia
Pelsea wrote:
I generally leave my patches up at the end of a session and decide whether to tear down at the beginning of the next. That way I can choose to continue to develop what I've been doing or go a new direction.

Same here. Two key questions before pulling it all out and starting fresh:
1) Did I record what I was getting out of this patch yet, if it seemed to be worth doing (even if it didn't, what the hell-record it anyway-hard drive space is cheap, and you might decide to use all or just part of the track(s) later in a way that isn't apparent now).
2) Do I feel confident that can either recreate the old patch or at least get close at a later date (maybe shoot a photo or jot down some notes)? Were the results really worth preserving patch details or making sure I'll remember the key routings (potential basis of a cool new tune/sound design, or my 73rd variation of alien fart noises that no one else would ever want to hear)?

The more I'm feeling stuck in a rut due to habit/laziness, or the more excited I am about trying out some new idea/something I read on Muff's/a new module that requires mostly or entirely re-patching, the more likely I am to tell myself to go for it, and start pulling cables out.
cornutt
When I come up with a good patch, at some point, I want to write it down. I won't tear it out until I've done that, and I don't usually do that until I've done everything that I want to do with the patch. Even then, it probably stays up until I'm ready to do something else. It's rare to find my modular with nothing plugged in.
Flexyflier
When the My modular is on, I always have a hard disc recorder running..to catch my stroke of genius sounds...
Flexyflier
cptnal wrote:
The correct answer is "it depends".

It's nice to start with a tabula rasa each time, but sometimes you don't get everything done in one sitting. Also, coming back to a patch with fresh ears can reveal something you hadn't noticed before. Or maybe the phase of your modulations is all different, or you forgot one of your modules doesn't hold its settings after a power cycle, and so on...

Sometimes it's good to look at it the other way around and keep your teardowns for special.

Edit: Another consideration is if you don't keep it patched when you're not using it all the music will leak out. zombie

EATyourGUITAR
it really all depends if the patch is any good and if you are leaving to go on tour with your synth tomorrow. if the patch is good but you need to break down tomorrow then record as much as you can tonight.
EATyourGUITAR
cornutt wrote:
When I come up with a good patch, at some point, I want to write it down. I won't tear it out until I've done that, and I don't usually do that until I've done everything that I want to do with the patch. Even then, it probably stays up until I'm ready to do something else. It's rare to find my modular with nothing plugged in.

personally, I don't write patches down. I tend to know exactly what I did the next day. I always patch mentally before I patch in reality. I remember exactly how it all goes together for every use case.

you do what you want. I'm not saying you can't. but I don't have a need for that. maybe because I have so many years of practice? seriously, i just don't get it
lisa
I keep a patch until I either record it or deem it hopeless. Nowadays I have two racks in different parts of the room so when I want to start a new patch there’s twice the chance that I can. thumbs up
Gaetan
I tear it down completely when I feel like I am done with it, which means either I have gotten something productive out of it, or I don't feel like it's going anywhere.
I never write down patches because I think it's the kind of stuff that would just accumulate and never gets used again. I don't like to work with recipes, I like the spontaneous and ephemeral nature of patching.
authorless
Depends what you mean by finished. Before and after shows patches get completely pulled. At home a patch can stay up for a month of getting fine tuned before I finally decide it is ready to record.
cornutt
EATyourGUITAR wrote:

personally, I don't write patches down. I tend to know exactly what I did the next day. I always patch mentally before I patch in reality. I remember exactly how it all goes together for every use case.

I do a lot of patch building when I don't have anything particular in mind for the patch. I'll build one, play with it for a day or two, record it, and then I want to move on to the next. But I also want to catalog what I've done, so when when I want to use it in a track later, I can come back to it.

For some reason, I also seem to build a lot of patches that have some finicky knob settings. I like to get those precisely, because it's frustrating to not be able to recall a good patch later.
ranix
I leave my patch alive at the end of a session, and often come back to it. But when I start a new patch I also remove all patch cables and start from scratch. My original intent when I got into modular synthesis was to be able to "perform" something from scratch each time I sat down at the modular. Over time I've been able to more or less do that decently, and am now working on recording and composing.
tito_tunes
I love the feeling of pulling a patch! I do it every week or so depending on what my gigs or projects call for.

If I'm playing EWI in a band I'll set up my case as several complex lead voices to mix and match. If I'm performing solo, I'll devote some of the case to doing drums and accompaniment parts. Sometimes it's all drums and sequenced parts and sometimes it's just drones and weird chaotic sounds. I like modules that are multi purpose and I challenge myself to use them in new ways all the time.
Flareless
lisa wrote:
I keep a patch until I either record it or deem it hopeless. Nowadays I have two racks in different parts of the room so when I want to start a new patch there’s twice the chance that I can. thumbs up

I've got a similar philosophy with patches. Once I tear things down I reset VCA and mixer values to zero and pans to centre. That way I don't (often) get really loud surprises.

I really like your idea of having parts of the modular in different parts of the room. I was playing around with the idea but I think I'm going to give it a try. My plan is to set up a buss channel between the two modulars so I can easily patch them independently or together.

Thanks for the suggestion lisa thumbs up
Poldenstein
I tear down a patch when I'm done exploring it as an instrument. THis can take weeks or a few hours and can involve some repatching along the way. It also happen that I do it in the urge to test some new idea.
When tearing down, I often like doing it one cable after the other, with he system on.
You get that "HAL9000 last words" feeling..
Flexyflier
Poldenstein wrote:
I tear down a patch when I'm done exploring it as an instrument. THis can take weeks or a few hours and can involve some repatching along the way. It also happen that I do it in the urge to test some new idea.
When tearing down, I often like doing it one cable after the other, with he system on.
You get that "HAL9000 last words" feeling..

Love the HAL comment....
Pelsea
My electronic music teacher, Peter Lewis, usually built a complex Moog patch during his lectures. He invariably ended class by removing the cords one at a time, reviewing what they contributed to the patch. He kept the patch making sound until the last couple of cords. Sort of like a game of pick-up sticks.
naturligfunktion
If I like a patch I try to record it a bunch of times. Usually I change it up a bit for each recording. I do this during one to two days. After that I like to tear the patch down. It forces me to take a decision on the recorded material, and it feels good to have a clean modular, ready for overdubs and what not.
Flexyflier
naturligfunktion wrote:
If I like a patch I try to record it a bunch of times. Usually I change it up a bit for each recording. I do this during one to two days. After that I like to tear the patch down. It forces me to take a decision on the recorded material, and it feels good to have a clean modular, ready for overdubs and what not.

That’s pretty much what I do.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1